SOMM - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

SOMM Reviews

November 26, 2016
really interesting...quirky guys though.....
½ November 1, 2016
While not top-notch "Somm" is a solid documentary, and it's well paced enough to keep anyone vaguely interested in wine to want to keep watching. I genuinely cared about the fate of the people it followed.
October 19, 2016
interesant cum ia interviuri la somelieri. dar este nestructurat. am vazut primele 30 de minute.
½ October 3, 2016
Very interesting documentary about the world of wine and what it means to dedicate your life to wine and pass the hardest sommeliers exam ever been made: the ability to identify a precise wine by, composition, date, vineyard, etc. Very interesting.
July 17, 2016
Like its subject matter, the flick is not without its little touch of narcissism. It's still an informative and adequately entertaining look at the world of wine.
½ June 25, 2016
Well shot, compelling, and educational look into the competition to become a grand master sommelier.
½ May 26, 2016
An expertly-edited, compelling and even tense documentary that gets us deeply invested as we follow the obsessive dedication of four admirable candidates who have each a personality of his own and whom we root for as they bust a gut to pass a monstrous, nearly-impossible exam.
February 9, 2016
A entertaining and sometimes strange doc about wine snobs. But they're not all snobs, surprisingly this focuses on several 30-something men who study and take the Master Sommelier exam. Funny descriptions of wine tastes, and fast talking and bickering between these men who have become friends in studying for the exam.
Overall, really informative and fun, watch it if you have any interest in wine.
Watched on Netflix at Sam's place with her, February 4, 2016.
February 3, 2016
What a truly inspiring and informational film. I have gained a tremendous respect for the Sommelier - BRAVO !!!
½ February 1, 2016
Gives real insight into the discipline behind being a sommelier.
½ November 1, 2015
I was let down with this drawn out documentary. More information about the monetary incentives would have been good.
October 15, 2015
An excellent inside look at the world of wine and the extremely challenging exam to become a master sommelier....watching as a relative outsider with limited knowledge of wine, I found an appreciation for the level of knowledge required to reach this level. 3 stars
September 4, 2015
Interesting enough even for the people (like me) who have minute knowledge about wine or wine tasting.
July 30, 2015
Surprisingly Delightful
July 9, 2015
Really compelling look into this world of wine tasting, one part admiration for their dedication, another part disbelief anyone would do it
June 6, 2015
Good lord...just finished watching Somm. I think I'll stick to drinking instead. ;-)
½ March 22, 2015
Somm is an extremely detailed and eye opening following of a group of Sommeliers, who although have devoted their life to wine tasting, wish to get their Master Sommeliers Diploma, an achievement so challenging and life consuming that an extremely small percent of participants only receive its top award. Its extremely tense and boggling to watch these men almost ruin their lives in order to get even close to this exam, equally its as outlandish their ability to pin point every taste and detail about a wine by just tasting it. The film does a good job of getting the camera in all the right places at the right times, however the piece is riddled with minor technical niggles consistantly, synching problems and frame stutter litter the piece and its not exactly filled with innovitive style. Extremely interesting and mind opening, however the technical issues and lack of imagination really pull the viewer out of the experience.
½ February 17, 2015
Intersting documentary about the hardest test i had never heard of. Pretty cool.
½ February 5, 2015
Nicely lensed doc about a group of obsessives on a quest.
½ January 30, 2015
This documentary is just as fragile and complex as the wines tasted within it. Embark on an emotional journey that presents the human spirit in a raw, unfiltered format. A wine-lover's must-see.