Son of Monte Cristo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Son of Monte Cristo Reviews

August 28, 2016
Sword-fighting adventure. Not brilliant, but fun. George Sanders is understated (and might I add, sexy) as the calmly calculating, jackbooted military leader determined to be king. The leading lady and gent are as charming as the script allows.
May 30, 2016
Son of Monte Cristo is an okay film. It is about the son of Edmond Dantes who succeeds in overthrowing a dictatorship. Louis Hayward and Joan Bennett give decent performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. George Bruce did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the adventure.
September 6, 2014
Louis Hayward was a proficient actor of his time, a recognizable commodity, if hardly thought of nowadays, not one of those that people say "remember that movie he was in ... he was great." The same could be said of Joan Bennett. So their romantic teaming can be seen as a pretty good move, but there's little fireworks here.
The story, the script, cribbed from a dozen similar, better tales, lets them down. They look into each other's eyes ... and have nothing to say.
Once again it's left to inveterate character actor George Sanders to carry the film, which he does with his sympathetic portrayal of the bad guy. He's amazing, and the real reason to see this.
½ June 1, 2013
Such a classic story and riveting characters - wasted on this joke of a script.
½ August 25, 2011
This movie was everything I didn't know I wanted it to be. A sequel to such a solid film (The Count of Monte Cristo) it by no means measures up when put side by side, but it measures well enough on its own scale. This film keeps me glued to my seat and watching it over and over again.
August 13, 2010
Great movie, it's fun, a great adventure movie.
August 15, 2007
Awesome actors and movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 8, 2007
Can anyone clarify what this is? Is it a spin-off Alexandre Dumas' story made into a movie? There's no information.
June 11, 2007
I love this movie! This ranks even a little higher than the old Zorro (sorry Trace).
March 11, 2007
Solid swashbuckling adventure, great cast, rousing score and some excellent art direction. Fine costumes. Well made and exciting. It isn't anything new, but the cast and crew make this one work.