Son of Paleface - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Son of Paleface Reviews

November 17, 2016
"...East is East and West is West and the wrong one I have chose..." A lesser outing than the first one but cartoon gags directed by Frank Tashlin (a frequent director of Jerry Lewis) make it hard to pass up.
September 28, 2016
Whereas THE PALEFACE was a comedy with music, Frank Tashlin's sequel is a full-fledged musical; Hope and Russell are joined this time around by Roy Rogers (who reprises the Oscar-winning "Buttons and Bows") and Trigger; the two stars also introduce to Oscar-nominated "Am I In Love?" Good fun.
May 18, 2015
It's a cartoon come to life, with Bob Hope's one-liners not that far from Daffy Duck's similarly witty repartee. Hope also finds himself subjected to a variety of slapstick situations and even drinks a cocktail that makes his head spin around and steam come out of his ears. Although this is a sequel to Paleface and features some of the same cast (outlaw Jane Russell, for example), director (formerly writer) Frank Tashlin takes things one step beyond (or more than one step beyond) the earlier film by making it insane. Roy Rogers and Trigger are along for the ride and somehow (in between all of the singing cowboy stuff), they supply a good deal of comedy - particularly Trigger. Do not take it lightly when I suggest that this is funny (in a Looney Tunes way) because I am sure you can easily imagine how crap this formula could be (a funny horse and Bob Hope - yeah right!). Hope plays the son of his former character (Painless "Paleface" Potter) who has returned to the West to seek his inheritance. But who cares about plot when absurdity rules?
June 8, 2014
No cliché is left unturned in masterful showcase for Hope's talent--Fantastic artistry; very funny and visually thrilling!!
January 3, 2014
Just an incredibly solid studio production like they used to make. Nothing necessarily groundbreaking. But a consistently clever & laugh-inducing comedy. Seemingly effortless. There's a very Warner Bros.-cartoon quality about it. There is also a Ferris Bueller aspect about it. I wonder if this was an influence. Hope is hilarious, but plays a kind of unrequited horndog Pepe Le Pew character, which kind of irks. Otherwise, this is a fab film! Truly, one of the great comedies. I get the sense that writers were more talented in an age when we didn't get black swan. I love how lacking in political correctness it is. However, I did think that the hell joke was particularly tasteless. Anyway, the 'Buttons and Bows' musical performance from the three leads was especially unforgettable. A delightful surprise!
½ January 28, 2013
Funny a lot of the time, hilarious at others, the weaknesses are really just the parts that don't hold up (I find anything that involves the antagonizing of native Americans awkward, whether comedy or not... and not many of the songs were providing or memorable...) but it is brought right back up by its moments that have you laughing. The fact that the effects are heavily dated just makes them even more hilariously spontaneous and amusing to watch. And is there anything that horse can't do?!?! 3.5/5
½ October 9, 2011
Enligt den svenska filmtidningen Chaplin sÄ innehÄller den hÀr filmen 2.857 skÀmt.
July 13, 2011
I loved this movie as a kid. I'm so happy that my kids enjoy it also.
July 9, 2011
I've loved this film for years, Bob Hope was such a funny guy. A film that will always remind me of my childhood. Plus Roy Rogers and Jean Russell are very attractive in this. Thou Trigger steals the show!
½ May 25, 2011
I haven't seen The Paleface, but this, as a sequel, was very very funny. I love the humour in this - it is quick and smart. And Bob Hope is hilarious. He was awesome in everything he did. Jane Russell was good as well, but she seems the same in all of her roles. Although these older movies are very cheesy and fake looking, they are always enjoyable and have a unique personality that movies today don't have :)
½ July 18, 2010
one of hope's best,his one liners are still so funny
½ June 2, 2010
Spoof Western that doesn't quite hit the mark, or perhaps I don't watch enough Westerns?
May 12, 2010
I like Bob Hope always have his stuff is timeless as this movie shows
½ December 3, 2009
Bob hope is a riot in this satirical western, a great comedy classic.
August 28, 2009
Younger folks probably wouldn't get the laughs from this movie that I do. An absolutely great example of good clean FUNNY, FUN.
½ July 21, 2009
absolutly hilarious film that is still very very funny to this day despite being made in the fifties. the humour is as you would expect very slapstick but in places it is really laugh out loud, bob hope on top form, a real comedy gold gem.
January 16, 2009
Somehow, this sequel is just as funny as the original. Its almost like a continuation more so than a follow-up. None of the humor was lost in the transition from one movie to the other.
November 30, 2008
a favourite of mine when i was younger
September 2, 2008
Another one of my favorites when i was a kid!!