Son of Rambow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Son of Rambow Reviews

December 16, 2013
Unique and endearing look at childhood from two exceptional child actors. Deep and thoroughly rewarding, highly recommended.
November 16, 2013
Enjoyable film, but the pieces never quite fit together. Both the young leads give good performances.
½ November 9, 2013
It's a fun idea, but quite awkwardly staged and, in the end, not particularly engaging.
October 31, 2013
Favorite movie of all times!
½ October 30, 2013
full of fun a great child adventure film for an older audience
½ September 23, 2013
Son of Rambow is so, so charming. This film is massive fun, produced convincingly and excitingly. No ifs, no buts, just an honest and exciting film about childhood adventures in running out of bounds - with some perfectly-timed wit to match!
August 28, 2013
A fond tribute to the 1980s that is frequently funny.
August 26, 2013
Wonderful...though a little too saccharin at the end.
½ August 24, 2013
A nostalgia trip of the 80's and quite charming feelgood movie about friendship featuring two rather excellent juvenile performances about two boys from the same school, but different sides of the tracks, become friends and decide to make an amateur remake of Rambo together.
Writer/director Garth Jennings recreates the period brilliantly, including all the fashion and trends of the time, from pseudo punks to glue sniffing to playing the UK top 40 off a cassette tape recorded from radio.
A must watch for anyone who grew up during the decade.
August 1, 2013
A bit film-school for me.
July 3, 2013
Very cute, good-time film.
½ May 25, 2013
surprisingly deep and unexpected
½ April 30, 2013
I saw the previews for this and thought wow, that looks stupid. Let's take the mickey out of it just for fun! But then something happened. The more and more I tried laughing at it, I began to laugh with it. And that, is rare indeed.
April 24, 2013
Reminded me very much of "Rushmore" with the reenactment of Rambo by kids. I never really got Rushmore either, and perhaps not this film either

The kids are annoying, the bully is a bully, and the protagonist is too guilable and too decent. The French new romantic kid is too niche, as the film middle classness sets up a very anti or polar opposite of "This is England".

The ending brings it all together, in quite a sweet touching way, its just a shame the first 2 thirds were so soft and hard work.
April 11, 2013
The only thing enjoyable about this film was the way you could laugh at the poor quality of the film itself.
½ April 8, 2013
Flawed but entertaining and overall feel-good family fare. Confused script owes much to the two charming leads.
½ April 4, 2013
Great film with fantastic young actors.
March 29, 2013
One of my all time favourite films. Simple, innocent, utterly charming.
February 28, 2013
Funny and very Touching! Son of Rambow is saved from the Depths of a Bad Film
½ February 21, 2013
A wonderful, moving and heart warming film - just a perfect mix of funny and sad... and, in addition, manages to recreate the feeling of growing up in the 80s scarily well. Brilliant performances from all. Go and see it!