Son of the Mask - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Son of the Mask Reviews

½ January 7, 2017
Arguably in the worst 10 movies I've ever seen
January 6, 2017
This was a bad film all across the board. The plot was completely boring and the main protagonists came across as extremely unlikable and impossible to invest in like the original. The comedy was more eye rolling than funny and the only good point of the film was Alan Cumming as Loki.
½ December 30, 2016
Hell is just this movie, on repeat, for all eternity.
December 22, 2016
I'm giving this a 5 just for the fact it's a highly underappreciated movie. The plot is simple, but unique. There is a good 15 minute scene which could have been shaved off, but it adds to the fireworks when Mom leaves for a bit.
November 22, 2016
i really love this movie it made my childhood grow the acting is great idk why everone h8s this moive lol
½ September 8, 2016
Why did they make this one it was not that great. I like the first one more
½ August 27, 2016
The first mask he wore gave me an erection but this one gave me half of one. Do not recommend to anyone who wants to fap.
August 16, 2016
This is the shittiest movie on planet earth (next to food fight). It gave me cancer 0% represent!
½ July 25, 2016
One Good Thing: The Dog!
The Rest is a bunch of Child Abuse and this is a kids movie compared to the Mask from 1994 which is more for adults.
Even Alan Cumming was bad.
It's a stupid messy movie that makes me wanna watch space jam 24 hrs. every day, I Rather Become Pregnant than watch this movie again.

Score: 0.5/10
July 16, 2016
Jim Carrey's Absence Of The Mask is a classic trilogy.
½ July 15, 2016
Great film with some hilarious CGI
July 15, 2016
So good it's the best movie ever
July 6, 2016
pesima pelicula,pesimas acutaciones de alan cumming y de los demas actores,pesimos dialogos,una historia estupida sin sentido,una de las peores peliculas de la historia sin duda.
½ July 3, 2016
Scary, Horrifying, ugly, and a movie that feels like it was made by Satan himself.
½ June 16, 2016
Le doy media estrella por atreverse a hacer una secuela de "The Mask".
½ May 29, 2016
This film is a failed abortion.
May 27, 2016
Son of the Mask destroys a once-promising franchise, with unintentional haunting CG-i, nauseating comedy, cringeworthy acting, and horrible characters
½ May 25, 2016
THIS MOVIE IS THE #1 WORST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!

This movie has horrible acting, disgusting and unfunny garbage humor, a very poor story, and the worst part is the CGI is so sickening and terrible!!!!

If you have not seen this movie, PLEASE DON'T!!! For the sake of your sanity, avoid it forever because it is not worth anyones time.
May 20, 2016
Dont listen to the critics this movie is masktastic!!!!
May 8, 2016
I kind of enjoyed it. Sort of.
I mean, I like it a lot more looking back then I did initially when I watched it.

I think what I like about it, is it's dark humour and the fact it tries to be it's own story without *gasp* Jim Carrey. Which honestly, I feel like The Mask is a story that needs a different protagonist if you're going to make a sequel. Seriously, why have a mask that can give anybody super powers if you're only going to have one guy ever use it.

That being said, they should have gotten someone actually funny using the mask. Like, maybe someone who's an actually comedian? I don't know.

The baby and dog plot could have been explained a little better. Like how can a baby be born of a mask? I mean, I get the whole it was worn while they had sex, but I don't know, it seems to be a weird power it suddenly has. Also, how come the baby is so smart and psychotic? Is just cause he has mask power ? It kind of makes sense (especially if you read the comics) but again, you can't just throw that at an audience and expect them to accept that (or still like the baby character).

Also, that dog is way too smart. I know Milo from the first movie was crazy smart but the dog is like way too aware of everything (and why did Tim make him his own room, that's just crazy devotion to your dog there).

I don't know if I like Loki's inclusion or not. On the one hand he's kind of funny and Loki makes sense in this universe cause we established in the last film he made the mask. On the other hand he's a weak villain and you might not like Loki, god of mischief, to portrayed by essentially a teenage brat that never grew up (though, I guess that's what the Marvel universe's Loki is like too *sting*)

I think the plot is okay if not meandering at the beginning, but the first Mask meandered too and nobody thought ill of it. While we're comparing the two, they both had pretty weak villains (though Loki is arguably more interesting than Dorian).

And before anybody gets all riled up, I'm not saying this is as good as the Mask. It's not. If I were to give them grades I would give this movie a C and The Mask a B+. The Mask is by far the better film though I think if it didn't have Jim Carrey, the script would fail (much like how Iron Man would have failed if not for Robert Downey Junior).

However Son of the Mask, has no saving grace. The story doesn't really take off until the second half, and if you're not the type to like dark humour (like me) you're going to hate it. That's why I give this a three star, because it's something I like a guilty pleasure but I don't think it's one of those things that really warrants anything above average.

There's a lot left to say but I think the gist is gotten. The last thing I will say is that visually it's a mess. There are some okay visuals there (though again, if you don't like creepy imagery, you're going to hate it) but there's a lot of it that feels and looks extremely cheap. It also lacks a lot of creativity that the mask had. Half of the stuff I've seen here I've seen elsewhere in other movies.
And that's where The Mask really does shine above this because it's not just creative but the effects really hold the test of time. So as a sequel to that movie it fails, but if you look at it alone, it's alright.