Son of the Mask - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Son of the Mask Reviews

April 14, 2018
Son of the Mask is indeed a bad film, but I didn't hate it nearly as much as everyone else. In a weird way, the film almost works as an unintentional horror film. The imagery is bizarrely horrific, terrifying, and surreal, while the plot about giving birth to a son who has the powers of the mask and nightmares about parenting sort of reminded me of The Babadook and Antichrist (2009). The comedy of the film is dreadful, but if they went for horror instead, this could have worked (Especially with scenes of violence, like Jamie Kennedy's character strangling his wife and slamming her head against the floor). It could have been a great psychological horror film, but alas, it's instead a dreadful comedy aimed at children (Though it feels rather inappropriate for children).
February 6, 2018
Son of the Mask believe it or not it wasnt that bad as people say it is there are some stupid scenes but I still enjoyed it.
½ February 3, 2018
Pretty much the worst movie I have ever seen.
½ January 2, 2018
Garbage, plain garbage
November 15, 2017
I won't deny the fact that I enjoyed this movie back when I was young. But now when I look back on it, I can see why the critics ripped it a new one.
October 20, 2017
This is a movie that I will admit is horrible, the imagery is frekin terrifying, and yet somehow, I have seen parts of the movie several times.
September 21, 2017
Thankfully, I haven't seen this film entirely, although I saw small parts of it on TV before changing the channel. This film overdoes the oddball special effects so much, I feel like I could puke! The acting stinks, the story is dumb, the characters freak me out, & WHERE IS JIM CARREY (from the original "The Mask")?!?!

Note to parents: if you let your kids watch this film, you should be arrested for child abuse.
September 8, 2017
Without Jim Carrey it's just not the same it's a different plot for the movie new characters I like the first one more I would have to say

Now if anyone is wondering why Jim Carrey did not play in son of the mask,

At first Jim Carrie was going to Play in the movie and he would get paid $ 10 million to play in the movie and then Jim Carrey said no he would not do it. So at this Point Jim Carrey said he would play in a sequel if they do one.
½ August 22, 2017
To be honest, the thing that makes this movie good is that I consider it to be a mix of The Mask and The Cat in the Hat
½ August 7, 2017
This is an insultingly horrible follow-up to Jim Carrey's "The Mask". Not only is this trainwreck on a boat of CGI abomination is so disgustingly terrible, but it's F***ING SCARY!!! Nonsensical plot is obvious in the movie, but many CGI images in this movie are freaking terrifying. I mean, these are appealing images for kids!? Is this really what's supposed to be a kids movie!? In fact, can I even call it a kids movie!?
½ July 31, 2017
Ugly, disgusting, cartoonish, awful special effects, and horrifying imagery that is certainly not for kids ultimately makes Son of the Mask one of cinema's greatest abominations.
July 7, 2017
The bad acting, the terrifying CGI, the mediocre story, and wonky premise makes this film easily one of the worst sequels ever.
July 1, 2017
From the look of the clips I've seen, I'm guessing this movie gets used as an instrument of torture.
June 25, 2017
I liked this as a kid. But now...wow. Just no. I also can't believe Kal Penn and Alan Cumming were roped into this. The best I can say is that there were some interesting aspects (maybe scenes...I guess I could say very small scenes) and some decent cinematography here and there.
½ June 25, 2017
This movie is beyond terrible. It has horrible acting, disgusting and unfunny garbage humor, a very poor story, and the worst part is the CGI is so sickening and terrible.

This is not worth anyones time. It is godawful.
½ June 10, 2017
Have you ever stayed over at a friend's house as a teen, eaten a shitload of garlic-drenched meat-lovers' pizza, and fallen asleep on the sofa without brushing your teeth? Well, Lawrence Guterman did once and decided to make a movie inspired by the nightmare he had that night. A wonderfully wrong, surreal, offensive movie experience---too creatively bad, too willfully ugly and unpleasant to be downright incompetent. A lot of fun in the ironic viewing circuit.
½ June 8, 2017
This is absolutly shameful. Please for god sake, Stick with the Jim carry the mask, It's actually a GOOD movie.
½ May 28, 2017
By some miracle this film achieves the 'so bad it's good' category. This film is ridiculous in all areas yet there is something genuinely enjoyable about it.
May 27, 2017
The greatest horror film of all time