Song for a Raggy Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Song for a Raggy Boy Reviews

July 21, 2014
I just got done watching this and I LOVED IT although it is a very heart pulling movie, I have to say I did sob.
½ May 23, 2014
Song for a Raggy Boy is another touching, moving and inspiring story about a teacher who makes a breaktrough with heartbreaking and emotional drama.
October 5, 2013
Liam Mercer is not the only boys body buried at St Judas where did they bury John McCarthy...
December 3, 2012
A decent story, slightly let down by exaggerated, cliched characters.
November 3, 2012
Hard to watch with the violence towards kids and all, but still the "happy ending" made it worth watching...
½ August 30, 2012
Tough subject matter. I can't believe there were facilities like that at one time.
August 17, 2011
that was one emotional film, set in a reform school or borstal in ireland at the outbreak of WW2, adaina quinn stars a a lay teacher who starts teaching at the school, the film deals with child abuse, priest raping the boys and so on and quinn trying to make a change, there is no happy ending to this
½ July 18, 2011
Seeing Catholic preachers abusing delinquent boys is heart-wrenching but the fact that there is a teacher who loves the boys and teaching makes watching the film twice as painful when you're a failing teacher yourself.
March 6, 2011
excellent, haunting movie!
½ February 10, 2011
Indeed disturbing story but very important one. It could happend anywhere but it shows also that goodness always win and among bad people they are always good ones
December 27, 2010
One of the most haunting and heart-breaking films I've ever seen.
½ November 23, 2010
I love true stories and this was no exception, however the only downside is that I found it really sad and don't think I could bring myself to watch it again...
½ October 2, 2010
Indeed disturbing story but very important one. It could happend anywhere but it shows also that goodness always win and among bad people their are always good ones.
½ July 2, 2010
Wow this movie was really something. So moving and shocking. To think that this is based on true events is awful to imagine. Its one of those movies that is great in the sense of acting and all that but awful in the sense that this story is real. It was a tad bit slow to begin, but eventually I was very much into it and emotionally connected. The boys in this movie did a fantastic job acting out very difficult subject matters. I'm glad I watched this.

What did this movie teach me? Children are some of the best actors we have these days.
½ June 1, 2010
Definitely not a cheery movie, "Song for a Raggy Boy" is pretty much "Dead Poets Society" only Irish and MUCH sadder. 2 people are shot and killed in the first minute or so and there are some disturbing Priest+boy scenes. The fact that this movie is based on a memoir makes it all the more disturbing. Great acting - especially from the kids. So this is definitely worth watching if you don't mind a slightly depressing (but good) movie every now and then.
May 31, 2010
this film is not really known outside of ireland but it should be it is truly a great film and the performance from ian glen and aiden quinn are outstanding.

after fighting in the spanish cival war william franklyn turnes to teaching at St. Judes Reformatory School a ruthless place run by vicious priests. in the playground there is a wall in the middle of the yard to seperate the older boys from the younger boys. one day while being lined up at the end of play time one of the boys patric delaney burps he is lashed across the face with the priests belt franklyn is horrified by the priests behaviour and inter viens only to the dismay of head priest john . delaney attractes the aattention of a peadophile priest who rapes the boy in the toilets but when he tells the bishop he is told to keep quite. another boy liam mercer is one of the more vocal students inn the school therefor he attracts regular beatings from the priests. mercer forms a special relationship with franklyn teaching him how to read write and turnes him into a poet.

one of the more brutal scenes comes when 2 brothers from different sides of the wall sneak into the yard at christmas to exchange gifts this is witnessed by brother john he brings all the boys to watch what will happen if you touch the wall he kneels the 2 boys down shaves their heads and whips the boys mercer tells one of the other boys to go and get franklyn. when franklyn sees what is happening he attacks brother john.

i cannot describe how many emotions will come over you when you see this film. ian glen (brother john) and aiden quinn ( william franklyn) give great performances in a film that highlights the ongoing abuse the irish catholic church and churches worldwide.
April 4, 2010
definitely worth seeing!
February 23, 2010
Absolutely brilliant film!!
½ October 14, 2009
Very powerful emotive film which will hit you hard. Similar to Magdelene Sisters but for boys. Not for the faint at heart though, be warned!