The Song of Bernadette - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Song of Bernadette Reviews

½ April 11, 2012
Fine story about Saint Bernadette Soubirous having visions of the Virgin Mary in the 1800s and mocking, disbelief and cynicism she encountered. It felt somewhat overlong, but it was beautifully photographed and it featured fine performances by Jennifer Jones and especially by Vincent Price, who it's always a treat to see in non-horror films.
April 8, 2012
Absolutely, positevilly, beautiful!
Personally, I hate Jennifer Jones *as a person* but she is lovely in this part.
March 4, 2012
it has been Allameh Jafari's favorite film
I have to watch it...:)
January 1, 2012
Whatever one's religious faith, this is a beautiful old Hollywood production to be enjoyed. No wonder it led all movies with 12 Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, in 1943. The film owes a lot of its power to the Oscar winning performance of Jennifer Jones as Bernadette Soubirous, the young French peasant girl who saw a vision of the Virgin Mary in a grotto near the town of Lourdes.
½ December 10, 2011
Good acting and a strong leading lady makes this religious based film worth watching.
August 10, 2011
A rather long, annoying and outdated religious movie with a black-and-white perspective: the young pious, innocent, poor, simple girl Bernadette, who sees a virgin Mary no one else can see, versus the evil enlightened local French elite. If you're a Roman Catholic and you simply want to hear Catholicism is the one and only belief, blessed by the one and only God and his Mother, this is your kind of movie. If you're in for a bit of a religious challenge, you better watch 'Lourdes' (2009) by Jessica Hausner.
½ August 7, 2011
I cannot promise to make you happy in this world, only in the next.

In the small town of Lourdes, France a young girl named Bernadette Soubirous attends a Christian school and is considered one of the lesser students. One inauspicious day while doing her chores she sees a vision of the Virgin Mary. Initially, the people of France are skeptical of her claims; however, when she uncovers a stream that miraculously cures numerous people in France, even the Pope is forced to claim she is indeed a Saint. Those that appose Bernadette will stop at nothing to prove she is a phony.

"You can't handle people like this with silk gloves and fancy words."

Henry King, director of Carousel, The Snows of Kilimanjaro, Untamed, The Gunfighter, Twelve O'clock High, The Black Swan (1942), and Hell Harbor, delivers The Song of Bernadette. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and unpredictable. The characters are fascinating and well written and the cast delivers remarkable performances. The cast includes Vincent Price, Jennifer Jones, Charles Bickford, William Eythe, and Lee Cobb.

"You must learn to expect nothing from god, so when you get nothing, you're not disappointed."

I am not a religious person at all; however, I found this religious storyline compelling and very entertaining. The underlining religious tone of the film did not detract from the characters and evolution of the picture. The conclusion was also solid and ends the film perfectly. This is definitely a worthwhile movie.

"To think that one stupid girl could cause so much trouble."

Grade: A
July 27, 2011
This just isn't my type of movie.
July 16, 2011
It was a nice movie, but the quality of the CD was so terrible that it took away from the enjoyment of the movie. I'll have to watch it again sometime to really appreciate it.
May 8, 2011
The story itself is fascinating, and it's told rather well. Jennifer Jones' performance is wonderful as is Vincent Price. Unfortuantely, one problem with the film is the ending drags and feels much longer than it needs to be.
March 22, 2011
Too saccharine and way too long.
March 5, 2011
Great movie to watch;)
February 5, 2011
A very strong prestige pic from Fox, showcasing the talents of everyone involved. Henry King, along with his DP, crafts some magnificent, highly evocative images, and he's helped by a top-notch ensemble, including career-best turns from Jennifer Jones and Gladys Cooper, as well as Lee J. Cobb, Anne Revere, Charles Bickford, and an underrated Vincent Price. Alfred Newman's score is a little overbearing, but still effective when needs be. There are a few sequences which are really very strong, especially when Bernadette discovers the spring.
½ October 20, 2010
The film is not a great achievement, but the sincere and touching performance by jennifer jones makes it wonderful and powerful, even entertaining.
the film keeps you waiting for her performance in every scene, like brando's in a streetcar named desire...she was marvelous.
½ October 13, 2010
I loved this movie, it's one of my favourite movies about saints. Jones gives a fantastic performance, and you get to see Vincent Price in an early small role. It's such a great story, and it's true!
½ September 24, 2010
Well casted, well directed, and apparently very true to the historical accounts of the event.
August 5, 2010
Great Spiritual Film.
June 19, 2010
I first heard about Lourdes when seeing and reviewing the film of the same name. That modern-day movie focuses on the legitimacy of the miracles said to take place there. By focusing on one young woman's story it asked questions about the millions of pilgrims who trek there each year, and whether those who claim healing are reading miracles into their stories, adjusting their beliefs accordingly. As a non-Catholic with great interest in all the stories surrounding the Story of Christ, the film left me with a longing for resolution even as it dangled its main character unresolved -- she was clearly authentic in her belief that physical healing took place in her frail body. But was the event an authoritative miracle, or an isolated abomination of nature?

Lourdes ended nowhere near the resolved tone of a tonic, making it hard to forget or simply put out of your mind. It's like the prayer that you think may or may not have been answered -- you just don't know. As my introduction to the small French town, it left me hoping that one day I'd travel there and touch the wall of rock called Massabielle myself, personally encountering the holiness of the revered setting. So when a friend pointed out the Arts & Faith Top 100, and a film that showed the origin of the Lourdes story, suffice it to say I was more than a little enthused.

The Song of Bernadette differs from Lourdes in that it's a Hollywood classic, it's in black and white, and its female lead, Jennifer Jones, took home an Oscar for her performance. But it shares similarities in that it probes the authenticity of the miracles, with characters casting a shadow of doubt over rays of hope, and an actress that is soooo delightful.

The greatest difference is this: where Lourdes can be so probing it can leave you in a foul state of over-thinking, The Song of Bernadette lifts you out of yourself, as if caught up to heaven in rapture.

The ever-so-simple, true-to-life story is that of Bernadette Soubirous, who in 1858, at the age of fourteen, had visions of Mary the Mother of God at Massabielle. An asthma sufferer, Bernadette was rarely in school and made no claims to a Christian education -- she didn't even make claims to recognize the apparition and simply referred to the visions as a beautiful "lady." Very soon her sisters and family came to see the lady, too, which eventually brought tens, twenties and hundreds of townspeople following close behind.

Bernadette had eighteen Marian visions, and she was the only person to see "the lady" each time. This caused quite an uproar in the community, particularly in a stern Catholic environment where politicians and priests quarreled for jurisdiction over the miraculous. Had she been born a few decades earlier she'd have most likely been branded a heretic; should she have continued in heresy the punishment would have been severe. One need look no further than Carl Dreyer's masterpiece The Passion of Joan of Arc to know that France has not been kind to its heretics.

Several miracles and a flow of spring water at Massabielle, where there had been no spring before, got the authorities off Bernadette's back and brought thousands of folk from surrounding communities. The film follows Bernadette into a convent and all the way through her early demise, tugging on heart strings the whole way. In that way it reminded me of Murnau's Sunrise. I knew it was tugging at all the right strings, but I didn't even throw up a fight. It was too enjoyable to not let myself be fully immersed in.

Jennifer Jones (1919-2009) as Bernadette is so sweet, so expressive, and entirely convincing in the role. She's filled with such child-like wonder, especially when entranced in her visions. Her child-like wonder spilled over to the crowd at Lourdes, and it spills out of the screen as well. It fills the viewer with wonder. Her friendly, gentle, and spirited manner is enhanced by lush, symmetric cinematography and exceptional lighting techniques that bring this monochrome palette to life. An hour into The Song of Bernadette and you've forgotten you're watching black and white. Color seems to express itself everywhere. Perhaps it lurks quietly between every frame of the film.

I don't believe a film like this can even be made today, much less garner all the accolades and sport the crowning achievement of an Oscar for its lead. Those who have the financing to create such a large and lavish production wouldn't even attempt it. They'd first say it wouldn't sell, and instead invest in a more skeptical story enhanced (or de-enhanced) with loads of unnecessary CGI. It would take a whole new kind of miracle for a modern-day studio to notice the pulsing heart that's celebrated in this kind of golden cinema.

I guess I can't say it any simpler than this: Gosh, I really love this film. Truly. It's the easiest five stars I've recorded at Netflix in years.
June 1, 2010
good for those with some religous outlook