A Song of Innocence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Song of Innocence Reviews

Harlequin68
½ February 5, 2011
In "A Song of Innocence," Charlotte(Emilie Duquenne) has just given birth to a baby girl but hated the experience so much that she does not want to let her husband Julien(Gregoire Colin) anywhere near her. It is harder than it sounds since he was disappointed that he did not get a son. At least, he hired Angele-Marie(Isild Le Besco) to be their wet nurse from an agency.

"A Song of Innocence" is a darkly enchanting movie that in mood resembles one of the fairy tales Charlotte is so fond of. That does not mean the movie is not steeped in reality, in this case late 19th century France where cameras are becoming more common. At the same time, ignorance is still rampant which does nothing to help with the incredibly high infant mortality rate. And the master-servant relationship of the time is not much different from that under the monarchy, except it takes on a fetishistic tone in the movie. All of which is a shame because Charlotte really does not need a wet nurse(she is lactating nicely on her own) but a friend.
½ September 4, 2009
I wish they had taken more liberites with the infatuations and dreams the Julien had about Emilie Dequenne, she is so beutiful and desirable, it would have made the movie a bit better, since it was a bit slow at times.
July 26, 2009
This was....brilliant. I can not recommend this enough to anyone who enjoys an intelligent, beautifully directed and acted, human story. Outstanding and Clint deserves recognition for this. In truth, I also see some of my Dad in this character so....

How can you not tip your hat to Clint Eastwood....what a remarkable actor and director.
July 14, 2009
The people in this movie were pathetic. It was pretty funny though