Song of the Exile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Song of the Exile Reviews

September 5, 2013
how can i see this film?
½ November 29, 2009
LIGHT BUT DEEP SADNESS
July 3, 2009
One of my favourite movie dealing with the mother-daughter relationship and the question of exile including issues between Chinese and Japanese. Maggie Cheung was wonderful in this movie definitely recomended. The best Ann Hui work. A masterpiece.

No Cantonese audio DVD and I can't find the VCD which is not sold anymore :(
June 24, 2009
A very personal film from Ann Hui, blending recollections of her own youth and family history with the development of modern China and the still infectious Sino-Japanese relations. A beautifully conceived, sad and hope-inspiring work.
June 11, 2008
One of the best mother-daughter flicks I've ever seen. Much more subtle than Terms of Endearment. Also one of the best works by both the director Ann Hui and the screenwriter Wu Nian Jen. Lu Xiao Fen and Maggie Cheung gave powerful performances.
April 15, 2008
Taking the mother/daughter dynamics of the melodrama as a model, the film explores the links between cultural fallout, nationhood and family ties. Feminist in tone and spirit without beating the dead horse of men=evil. It's a pity the script is fashioned more for metaphors and exploration than believability and excitement, but then you could do a lot worse than Maggie Cheung for a vicarious observor.
March 18, 2008
It has to be one of my favorite films of all time. It'??s a moving autobiography by one of the best Hong Kong film directors, Ann Hui.