Song of the South - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Song of the South Reviews

½ April 30, 2016
Other than its famous song "Zippity-do-dah", if I were to describe this movie in one word, it'd be this: RACIST.
½ March 17, 2016
Love the Brer Rabbit stories in this
½ March 4, 2016
Ok, well, when I was young and saw this movie I did not think of the controversy it has. I guess I was too young to think about it. I feel like we should blame the time period and society as much as we should blame the filmmakers for not showing the struggles of people of color back in the 40's. If you don't look at the film in a controversial way (which is nearly impossible) it can be somewhat fun and is an interesting piece of Disney work.
February 28, 2016
Maybe because this is the first movie I remember seeing and I was about the same age as the children, I still get weepy and giggly when I hear any one of the songs from this movie. I can remember where in the story line the song was sung and find myself back on the edge of my seat watching it all play out again in my mind. I saw Bambi about the same time, but even the forest fire sequence didn't affect me like the saddest part of Song of the South
½ December 17, 2015
interesting blend of live action & anime but definetly no 'gone with the wind'
November 15, 2015
Some Of The Finest Musicals That Disney Ever Made
½ November 14, 2015
Magnificent animation combines with a sappy storyline in this uneven handling by Walt Disney of the Uncle Remus stories; the song "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" won an Oscar, as did actor James Baskett.
½ October 19, 2015
I think that Disney Could of Did Better
½ September 16, 2015
The animated segments are entertaining and James Baskett gives a fine performance, but Song of the South unfortunately suffers from racial insensitivity.
½ August 9, 2015
I LOVE IT!!! BRER RABBIT WE LOVE YOU!!!
August 3, 2015
"You can't run away from trouble, ain't no place that far."

Needless to say, the animated segments are mighty satisfactual (Something tells me they would look gorgeous if cleaned up properly on blu-ray)....if only the majority of the film (the live-action parts) were too. The main plot involving a young boy finding escape in fantastical yarns woven by a kind old slave is actually pretty mediocre by Disney's standards, and almost all the human actors don't act well at all (with the exception of James Baskett, of course).The big controversy surrounding this film and Disney's decision to ban it has been a source of discussion for decades. Unfortunately, the film is indeed rascist, almost insultingly so at times (Just keep reminding yourself that this is a heavily fantasized version of the old south, it was never meant to be true to real life). Luckily, James Baskett makes it all watchable and even highly enjoyable with his unforgettable performance as Uncle Remus. In his hands, Remus becomes a true classic character. While the live-action parts are dull and sub-par, the lively animated portions, Brer Rabbit, Uncle Remus, and those classic tunes make this hard to find classic worth at least one watch.

It's the truth, it's actual, everything is satisfactual. It's a zip-a-dee-doo-dah day!
July 29, 2015
Far too many people, like Phil Hall, below, confuse uncle REMUS with uncle TOM. Song of the South is set AFTER the civil war, and no slaves make an appearance. This movie is also remarkable in that it was the first motion picture in the united states with a black man in the lead role. Don't let the Al Sharptons of the world confuse you into not seeking out this film. It's one of Disney's early best, an early experiment in making a feature length film combining live action and animation, leading to other films like Mary Poppins.
March 30, 2015
Life learning stuff that one needs to get by in Life
½ February 21, 2015
Ever wondered why you haven't seen the disney film that contains the song "Zip-a-dee-do-dah"? well the reason is because the story is about a rich white family all wearing posh clothes living on a plantation where the workers are all black (slaves, probably) dressed as scarecrows and speaking in the most racist stereotype manner that you can see. On top of this, they all seem to live in harmony, which is not really a fair depiction of the situation. It was Disney's first film to include live action although a lot of it is animated and the song won an oscar. It's one of those films that, if you are interested in the history of this mighty production company, you have to track down because it won't be the christmas day movie any time soon.
½ January 12, 2015
Offensive? Not really. Boring as hell? Oh yes.
December 23, 2014
I really want to find it and watch it. Any film Walt made, I have to see.
½ December 23, 2014
So is the film worth seeing? You betcha-provided you can find a copy. My attitude is that by shelving the film, you neglect a fine, fine performance by James Baskett and also ignore an important part of our heritage. After all, films on Turner Classic Movies or Shirley Temple DVDs are widely available and they often contain terribly dated and more offensive stereotypes. Plus, in the case of the Temple films, if you shelve them because one might have an offensive performance by Steppin Fetchit, you'll also lose the WONDERFUL dancing of one of the great dancers, Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson! Disney....re-release this film!
September 19, 2014
Notable for the catchy song, the inspiration for the log ride, and the controversy for showcasing America's problem they had in two-thirds of the 1900s, Disney's wondrous live-action animated classic still lives on with the praising of the late Baskett's performance, along with the good animated portions. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
½ August 18, 2014
Apparently this is a classic..... I need to see it.
½ July 30, 2014
If the portrayal of the African Americans isn't racist enough, the film completely ignores slavery even though they live on a white plantation. I guess, if the racism was taken out the film I guess it would be pretty good. It's best if we just ignore the film and enjoy Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Fox in the cartoons or Splash Mountain. The vocals, lessons, and characters will still be treasured in our hearts.