Song of the South - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Song of the South Reviews

June 13, 2014
Song of the South means well and tries to deliver positive messages, but it also contains some negative stereotypes of African Americans which were prevalent at the time it was made. As for its artistic merits, the animated sequences and the music is great, as is James Baskett's performance as Uncle Remus. But the main child character (Johnny) is extremely dull and the plot lacks tension.
May 29, 2014
My granddaughter preformed The Bluebird in school, loves to singing. Wanted her see movie since one I grew up with and have fond memories of.
May 12, 2014
Wonderful feeling, wonderful movie!
March 31, 2014
One of my favorite Disney films. Emotional, touching, brilliant, memorable characters and music. Racism and slavery exist and always will be a part of our history. Putting down one film for portraying a piece of history will not erase it from the books. Uncle Remus was beloved and honored and important to these characters, not hated and belittled. Get it together, America.
½ March 8, 2014
This film has been criticized as being racist, but I'm not so sure about that. It showed harmony between whites and blacks during Reconstruction (even though it may be historically inaccurate). Plus, Uncle Remus is just such a lovable character!
March 4, 2014
It plays with stereotypes, but it's not (intentionally) racist. It's a product of its time (which is a dark time in our nation's history). It's also, however, not very good. The animated bits are pretty good, but the live-action bits are, altogether, boring.
½ February 26, 2014
James Baskett is fucking fantastic as Uncle Remus, Oscar well-deserved. The animation with Brer Rabbit, Fox, and Bear is great. BUT the white people are so damn boring! It is kind of an ok movie I love it though
February 18, 2014
A fine film that has been suppressed by P.C. The stories are so worth while. Come on, Disney! Don't bend to the Whitney babies.
January 22, 2014
Interesting! I had been looking to see this movie for years! Riding the famous Splash Mountain ride in Disneyland i would always wonder what the ride was based on. This controversial film has some very dated moments involving the black workers and the way they are shown in the film. It can be seen as racist, but it actually has a pretty good moral story to it all at the end of the film. The mixture of animation and life action was super well done especially for its time. I enjoyed finally learning about the tale of Brear Rabbit, but I know this won't be for everyone!
½ January 21, 2014
it didn't strike me as that controversial, but what do I know.
½ January 8, 2014
A very rare Disney film with a unique blend of animation & live action performances. To my knowledge it's only been released on VHS & there a few copies available.

There is a lot of speculation why this has or never will get a DVD release I believe partly due to subject matter but mainly the portrayal of blacks in the south.

Basically the story of a young white boy befriending a black tramp & his stories of Briar Rabbit which are mostly in animated form.

This is a rare that seldom appears & is interesting to watch but it is a little dated.
January 5, 2014
I only saw parts of it on youtube before the Disney Nazis had it taken off. I don't care if people think its racist, its still a part of our history. I wouldn't ban "Birth of a Nation," or "Triumph of the Will." And why? Because trying to erase something from history, , just because some people find it offensive, is dangerous
January 2, 2014
It is unfortunate that so many people consider this film racist. The movie is not trying to make any kind of statement about slavery; it is simply a man telling stories. We should watch this movie and enjoy the songs and animation! I hope the Disney company ends their banishment of this film so we can truly enjoy it.
½ December 28, 2013
An imaginative Disney classic that will help you find your laughing place. (First viewing - Sometime in 2010)
½ December 27, 2013
I don't understand why Disney is hiding this remarkable piece of film history. The animation is great and it has a good story.
December 13, 2013
I honestly didn't find anything wrong with this film (well, maybe the Tar Baby me a little uncomfortable). On the one hand, it's got some great songs, hilarious cartoons, and a great lead Uncle Remus, but it's kind of boring when we get to the family. So, I'm kind of torn.
December 4, 2013
Not only is it totally boring, but Song Of the South is so Racially insensitive, it's no wonder that it's been almost completely forgotten over 60 years.
October 24, 2013
There is nothing wrong with enjoying this film, regardless of what the PC Police have to say about. Sure, we've made leaps and bounds in race relations since this film was made, but to call it hateful or mean-spirited is more or less on account of bring one's own baggage into what I consider a fine family film. Sure, it's not accurate to what race relations were like during the post-Civil War South, not even close. But, as a piece of escapism, it does the job spectacularly. It can be viewed as a fantasy, what we would hope race relationships would be like between blacks and whites during that time in history. Everybody smiles and life is more like a contemporary suburb where color is a non-factor. I can understand why some would hate that. I can see how someone would see this film as making light of a horrible time in history, but I can also see how Disney's intention was never to be cruel or mean-spirited with his work here.
October 16, 2013
A good old classic film!