Songcatcher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Songcatcher Reviews

June 23, 2017
I love the concept and the subject material, but frankly, the sex scenes made me cringe and seemed unrealistic in the time and context. Sort of tainted it for me.
January 26, 2017
Loved the singing, the music, the cinematography, the acting, and everything else about this lovely film. Good to see Pat Caroll again!
December 13, 2015
Songcatcher is an undeniably slow and melodramatic film, and while some of the performances are subpar and the pace is lacking, this movie does have a certain backwoods charm and whimsy to it. There are brutal scenes of child birth and shot gun quarrels and way more intimacy than I expected, but overall Songcatcher is nothing great, but it did surpass my expectations.
½ September 15, 2015
Janet McTeer is great and some of the music is nice but overall it is a bit of a bore. Great costumes though
August 30, 2014
This developed into more than just a focus on folk songs. Not really my thing, but well-made.
½ April 2, 2014
Not suitable for families. One subplot constitutes an effort to sell Lesbianism to the audience, portraying those who don't accept it as apt to be homicidal, barn-burning, hell-fire-shouting bigots. Hard to escape this agenda these days.
January 18, 2014
Songcatcher shows the Smokies almost as beautiful as they are in real life. The music shines with perhaps too much polish but is well done and enjoyable. Otherwise, this movie was the most sexist tripe I've seen.
August 17, 2013
Worth it for the music alone...
July 15, 2013
The performances in the movie are top drawer. The lesbian scene is over done seemingly for shock value. It defuses the excitement of discovering the roots of our American folk music.
½ May 30, 2013
this was pretty good! I wasnt really expecting to like it though...
February 18, 2013
Lovely little film! Enjoy!
½ January 3, 2013
if you've been to Appalachia you'll understand what it's like. One must have an open mind in appreciating folk music just like country music. A must see.
December 29, 2012
a solid debut for rossum in this music-centric period drama with great costuming, contrasting the mountain folk with city dwellers. interesting take on music as a cultural heritage, and even a way of life. A pity they didn't have tape/mp3 recorders back then.
½ December 25, 2012
a rare opportunity to appreciate the Appalachian mountain music in a leisurely manner within its own hills. Rossum put up a convincing performance in singing and playing her delightful Deladis role. McTeer, on the other hand, kept up with her wide-eye stare with little reason.
December 7, 2012
Could be worht watching, a period piece im assuming, recommended by a flixster friend, worth a look. Just have to find it now! :D
½ October 10, 2012
Beautiful when the music is playing, but dead when it's not.
August 31, 2012
The music of my ancestors.
½ May 13, 2012
Very pleasant movie.
½ May 12, 2012
Great music with very little plot. Disappointing.
½ March 11, 2012
"Songcatcher" es un drama pequeño y adorable, la clase de película que, desgraciadamente, pocas personas han visto pero que por esta misma razón resulta un placer algo egoísta el hecho de descubrirla y apreciarla. La historia se mueve con una parsimonia que en vez de cargante resulta mágica y el escenario está bellamente complementado por una fotografía preciosa y la música más evocativa posible. Janet McTeer está espléndida en el papel central de una académica determinada a estudiar la música de una zona recóndita de Norteamérica, descubriendo en el camino la generosidad, ternura y talento de sus rústicos habitantes. Nota: A Pat Carroll le robaron una nominación al Oscar en la categoría de mejor actriz secundaria.