Sonny Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sonny Boy Reviews

March 17, 2016
Crazy good movie !!!
½ March 28, 2014
I was curious to see this after reading Leonard Maltin's BOMB review who deemed the movie only to have been made to offend audiences. Brad Dourif is a smalltime hood in New Mexico who steals a car and later finds out there was a baby in the car, which he then sells to local crime boss Paul L. Smith (who wants to feed the baby to the pigs) and his girlfriend, David Carradine in drag as Pearl. The film then follows Sonny Boy's abusive upbringing over the years, including cutting out his tongue, which lead to him becoming something of a feral murderous criminal. It's really unclear if the filmmakers were going for black comedy, some kind of surreal horror or merely making as a disturbing, unpleasant slice of life. I really didn't enjoy the film except for (SPOILER!) a climactic shootout between the bizarro family and an angry mob of townsfolk, which reminded me a lot of "The Devil's Rejects." Carradine good in these final moments and elevated the movie to something better than the rest of it's general low quality. Oh, and Sonny Boy does get a new tongue at the end of the film.
March 15, 2014
in one word-bizarre.
September 30, 2011
A disgusting waste of celluloid.
½ March 10, 2011
Interesting...But I cant believe they get budgets to make movies like this.
½ June 1, 2010
David Carradine, unlike his cohorts and other members of the Hollywood elite, stood up for what was right and just in his search to find meaning and fulfillment from his masturbatory addictions, all the way up to the end, when he was found dangling in a cramped closet in a Bangkok hotel, hung by his own fishnet panties, encrusted in a sling of sticky and coagulated ooze. A strange way to die, in any case, which could explain why Spider-Man was a culprit until it was revealed, in song, that Carradine chose to leave this world as he wished to live in it: a nutsack as dry and as empty as the Sahara, pumping out more ash and smog than all of Los Angeles. The lyrics to the theme from "Sonny Boy," as later inscribed into Carradine's tombstone go:

"I'm looking for a place,
where the dogs don't bite,
and everything is going to be alright."

Beautiful lyrics, especially when reflected through Carradine's somber yet gravel-heavy voice. The song could be about a lot of things, but ultimately -- much like INXS' "New Sensation" -- it's a song about finding a safe haven for masturbatory purposes, all of them, without fear or consequence from society.

Consider the fragment: "Where the dogs don't bite"

Many of us with pets know that applying peanutbutter or ice cream to the genitals works, but only for a very brief window of time. Once the dog realizes what you are doing, it gradually becomes bored of the practice and ends up biting, not just merely licking, at the genitals and the scrotal region.

Then comes Michael Hutchence and INXS. "New Sensation" is a titular song title as it seems to be about a man and his life partner looking for a new sensation in their sexual practices, as evidenced by the lyrics:

"Cry Baby Cry
When You've Got to Get it Out
I'll Be Your Shoulder
You Can Tell Me All
Don't Keep It In Ya"

Some may look at these lyrics and make the false assumption that it is merely a song about applying guidance and emotional support to a loved one in need. But examine it closer.

The set of lyrics starts of with the act of crying being the dominant theme. The secondary lyric "When You've Got to Get it Out" and subsequent lyrics "Don't Keep it In Ya" and "I'll Be Your Shoulder" could, or may, be suggesting that the narrator would like to punch his partner in the face and/or stomach until tears begin to well up and he/she reaches orgasm, causing a wave of ejaculate to score his shoulder. But... There is still more to the song than this because the song, as a whole, refers to the requirement of finding a New Sensation out of life. Generally, this feeling becomes domineering once an individual feels that masturbation in it of itself has become boring.

Bestiality can only last for so long, so it must naturally be taken to a new level. Hutchence was looking for a "New Sensation" and Carradine, similarly, was "looking for a place" preferably one where his genitals where out of harm's way. Evidently somewhere along the way, both Hutchence and Carradine found what they were looking for through an act called autoerotic asphyxiation, which is performed as a means of enhancing the orgasm resulting in a "new sensation" that would be anywhere between 5% better to several thousand times better depending on the level of arousal by the participant involved.

This practice, either intentionally or inadvertently, has enabled both Michael Hutchence and David Carradine to achieve a state of higher consciousness and heightened awareness, all while enjoying the joys of a much more intense orgasm. Some would view these cases as being slightly morbid considering that both men would eventually expire as a result of this practice. But what is usually overlooked in death in Western society is that it is not so much a means to an end, as it is just a segue into a higher realm of being: crossing over to either Nirvana itself or some other form of eternal salvation.

In Buddhist history, there are countless stories of families finding their expired loved ones barricaded in a room with their robes removed and a silk wire wrapped tightly and securely around the neck. In their own tradition, when a body is found in this matter it is not only encouraged for the body not to be moved for several days but STRONGLY ADVISED for no manipulation of this scene to occur as the soul leaves the body through the back of the head. Families of the victim are encouraged to keep their daily routine during the arbitrary time period it would take -- in estimation -- for the soul to exit the body (generally between 2-4 days, although the erection usually shrinks to flaccidity after the second day), even if it means eating and sleeping in the same room as the expired one. By the end of this period, when it is safe to move the body, it is customary to check the softness/hardness of the back of the head -- not just in cases of Buddhist Autoerotic Asphyxiation, but in the case of any death. This is to measure the "karma level" that the person had in this life, which will judge where it will go on the next. A thicker, harder skull for example represents very bad karma, as it indicates that the soul is very hesitant to leave the body. A softer cranium indicates that the soul has left the body very rapidly, obviously very well aware of the fruits that the next life has in store.

What is unique about Autoertoic Asphyxiation in Buddhist history is that the skull, after the "fermenting" period, is not only completely soft but the back of the head -- sometimes immediately after death --- is blown out completely. The case of Gong Shek, the 11th Century Buddhist Monk, being the most famous case of this when his entire upper body exploded immediately following an incident involving a vine being wrapped around his neck after beating off to/on a Redwood tree.

Both Carradine and Hutchence were found with the back of their skulls completely dematerialized. Sketpics claimed that this was merely just decomposition, but even skeptics could not explain why only this part of the body had decomposed -- and done so, so rapidly.

Of course correlation does not always lead to explanation, but even so it is enough for one to consider the shamanic and karmanic purposes that can derive from autoerotic asphyxiation. Even if death does occur, it seems to only be a benefactor, ultimately.

"Sonny Boy" is a great film to take as an introductory course into this practice, which is why it comes highly recommended to beginners - at the very least giving excellent tips on what attire one should wear while performing the practice (In David Carradine's case: a blue dress, a wig, and some nylon pantyhose seems to work just fine).
½ September 27, 2009
I saw this movie on TCM. It was pretty cool.
I read that the director, Robert Martin Carroll was ostracized for the film. I read about it on films in review. com
September 13, 2009
This movie blew my mind. There are so many unbelieveable scenes in it, it is close to impossible to describe. I don't agree that David Carradine's character was a transvestite, he played Slou's daughter " straight". This may also be Brad Douriff's wierdest role, which is saying a lot. as an experiment in Italo-American Surrealist Desert Neo-Noir it is a stand out. It's like Baghdad Cafe crossed with Unleashed. Three stars because it really is an incomplete film: the last act is hurried. But if ferral wolf boy cannibalistic killer finding redemption in the care of a raser riding new wave girl and a fallen doctor turns you on, this is your movie. Oh, we're going to need a monkey!
September 13, 2009
So I made the mistake of watching this in sobriety, and now I'm having recurring nightmares of David Carradine in drag, tormenting me with his fat husband and mute cannibal kid. Damn you, TCM, for playing "Sonny Boy".
½ August 29, 2009
I give them credit for getting this insane drama made in the first place, but it should have been better. It feels incomplete, perhaps cut. But bizarre films that make you feel something are rare. Carradine, Smith, and Dourif are fascinating.
August 13, 2009
If you watch this movie and enjoy it, it will leave you reviewing yourself more than the movie. Is it in bad taste-yes, is it goorish-yes, is it well written-no, is it well could go on and on and it would be hard to find any way to compliment this movie. So why did I like it, don't know. I grew up next to a drive-in and think that has something to do with it???
I would'nt admit to enjoying this movie publicly to anyone of respect. But to whomever reads this...I enjoyed it. Watch it when you tired, too tired to analyze and you'll enjoy it more.
May 27, 2009
Strange little film with a great cast
½ April 18, 2009
Startlingly original low-budget horror, shot by someone who knows way more about being behind the camera than you'd expect. And David Carradine plays a woman!
April 17, 2009
A bizarre film featuring the always daring and entertaining Brad Dourif and David Carradine. With more focused direction and a stronger sense of pace, this could have become a cult classic instead of a barely coherent hodgepodge of crudity and gunplay.
April 17, 2009