Soom (Breath) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Soom (Breath) Reviews

May 28, 2010
(****): Thumbs Up

Another great film from my favorite South Korean film director Ki-duk Kim (sorry Chan-wook Park!). Interesting throughout and well-acted.
ElCochran90
½ May 20, 2010
Soom is Kim Ki-Duk's most psychologycal complex film. Oddly, it does actually lack the interesting and jaw-dropping depth of his previous efforts. The intelligent use of silence is gone and we are left with a conclusion more cold than open to interpretation. Great concept, nevertheless, and a very rich existentialist environment. Kim; I forgive you. Get back on track.

76/100
½ March 31, 2010
the cell decorations were beautiful. Park played the psycho, bored wife role all too well. the scene-flipping between the snowman family and the conjugal visit was very demented.
½ March 22, 2010
my first kim ki duk moivie.. that made me breathless each n every moment...
½ March 20, 2010
a bizarre tale about a woman who seeks her emotional refuge from a death row prisoner... love it or hate it... it's ki-duk kum style.. and some parts leave unexplained.. but that's not important... The movie delivers lots of images and food for thought.. passage of time, life and death, love and death/ violence, and also its title breath..... a metaphor of something which we always need but we dun see its importance till the time we almost lose it... So the theme running throughout in all characters.. arty enough??? :p
½ November 30, 2009
Interesting. What I really liked about this was the clever camera work, and lack of emphasis on speech. I think the images work well to make up for this. The story wasn't very clear to me at the start, and I felt quite confused at times with 'why' certain things were happening. Otherwise, although this is probably not the best first KKD film to see, I'll definitely be watching the rest of his work as I think he possesses something great as a filmmaker.
½ October 27, 2009
Me gustó muchísimo menos que las anteriores de este chaval.
October 25, 2009
Great psychological love story by the Korean master Kim Ki-Duk
½ August 6, 2009
It's clear to me that Kim Ki Duk's films are getting a little bit too predictable. I wish he surprises me with his next film.
½ July 30, 2009
Is it weird I was hoping for more development between Jang Jin (main prisoner) & Yeon (the chick)? ...And Jang Jin & his 'special friend' inmate?

We find out why Jang Jin is incarcerated but still without motive, which is disappointing.

When we find out about Yeon's childhood, coupled with her current situation (cheating husband - I wanted to punch him when he's blatantly telling her that even though he's cheating on her he 'still upholds his familial responsibilities' [except for that whole part about being faithful to your wife and all] & that she should stop it; what a douche), I was all 'YAY! She's doing what she wants! Fark the haters', but it's also disconcerting the way in which she rebels (ie: infatuation with a death-row inmate). Guess it seemed like a good idea at the time, Yeon? lol.

More importantly, why the hell did the Head Security Adviser or whoever he was, let her in in the first place?! Boredom? I doubt he wanted to give Jang Jin one last shot at finding humanity (?) before his impending death.

I found the ending to be bit of a cop-out :\
July 29, 2009
Pelicula extraña pero con un argumento trabajado de una manera genial. Este filme se enfoca en las relaciones humanas, sobre todo en las relaciones de pareja y la manera en que varios factores emocionales pueden llegar a afectar la tranquilidad o estabilidad. Maneja unos espacios cerrados en donde gracias a una direccion de arte impecable se pueden recrear armonicamente otra serie de espacios, esta vez mas abiertos, permitiendo generar sentimientos en los personajes que intervienen en las escenas que se desarrollan en estos mismos espacios recreados. Muy buena.
May 25, 2009
It's true, one does find love in the most unlikeliest of places. The four seasons woven into the story that doesn't have much dialogue is impeccable. The tension between each of the characters is well brought out. Right from the straight, stark lines of Ji-a Park's home and the world she builds to escape/save/get back at her husband to the songs, sung with utmost honesty that the vessels on her neck are strained, the story is touching, tragic.
May 20, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
May 16, 2009
Not Kim Ki-Duk's best, but pretty darn good.
½ May 16, 2009
it has some taste of french movies...
i liked his concept of seasons. surprised Kim Ki-Duk chose Chen Chang (from Taiwan). i like him but a bit strange to see him in korean movies cos his face is obviously not korean...
May 13, 2009
Another stunning Kim Ki Duk's film! Great idea developed into a beautiful story. Not that I expected any less.
May 5, 2009
this is a tough one. In some aspects it completely didnt work for me just like Time, in others i loved it and it brought back memories of the greatness Kim showed in 3-Iron and Samaritan Girl. So overall im giving it 3 stars.
The Seasonal Prison songs are fantastic, but the prisoners storyline didnt work for me, and neither did the rather average ending.
April 21, 2009
is a weridly odd nice show...too artistic
shesdownbytheriver