Sorority House Massacre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sorority House Massacre Reviews

February 5, 2016
A fun if cliche and silly slasher film....
April 6, 2015
Passable, actually has some good stuff going on, similar to Halloween but different enough, first off the killer doesn't wear a mask....
½ March 17, 2015
While I don't really expect much from a movie like this, it would be nice if it were put together in a minimally competent matter. Basic continuity fails multiple times ... in fact, a main character just disappears at some point. The basic set up is stolen from "Slumber Party Massacre" and large parts of the plot are borrowed from the "Halloween" sequels. You'd be better off watching any of those films ... okay, maybe not "Halloween 5".
October 17, 2014
While this is a low budget, somewhat amateurish film it nonetheless has several qualities that make it worth watching for those who appreciate a good horror movie. The plot is pretty standard - there's a maniac who escapes from a mental institution, outruns his doctors and a pursuing detective, and heads straight for the sorority which is haunted by a gruesome crime committed there in the past. I did appreciate the slow, suspenseful build up, which was paced fantastically for such a short movie. Also good, the way the heroine's past and her nightmares slowly fuse just at the point when the night of terror begins so she realizes what happened to her and what's going to happen to her just as the tension explodes in bloody violence. The particular charms of the sorority setting aren't overlooked either, but the acting and the chit chat of catty, superficial girls are subpar. Overall a good thought not great slasher movie.
September 15, 2014
A Halloween/Michael Meyers "wanna-be". It even looks like it was released in 1978. It was released almost 10 years later in 1987, so you would think there would be some cinematic upgrades, but no. Terrible acting to go along with terrible terror.
½ September 1, 2014
The most offensive thing I find about Sorority House Massacre is the idea that director and writer Carol Frank believe the audiences are jack****s or maybe she is a complete jack***.The film is atrociously made with any devoid of excitement or suspense. Granted she may have wanted to avoid making this film, but at least she could have put an effort to it. I could have made a better film with a bit of originality in since this film pretty much suckles Halloween (1978). It's so predictable and the characters are super dull. I was really annoyed by the possibilities the film could have taken, but instead Frank just puts us back into the same old place. Angela O'Neil and killer are excruciatingly terrible it's almost a competition. The inner logic makes no sense and the killer's motive are not even interesting. I watched a film called Twitch of the Death Nerve and despite the fact it was dated, it was at least exciting to watch because of the music, kills, and the twist when the killer is revealed and why.Luckily, Sorority House Massacre II would be a huge improvement over this trash by upping the sleaziness and taking a turn to the bizarre.
August 14, 2014
It's a Halloween ripoff but still has some charm to it
½ July 22, 2014
Instead of simply being a low rent "Halloween" this slasher pleasantly surprises!
February 23, 2014
Not bad! For a slasher film, it's seriously lacking in gore. But the body count makes it totally worth it! Add in the homage to Halloween, a mental patient brother, and viola...instant cult classic!!!
½ January 12, 2014
Two words - shoulder pads. Good 80's slasher horror.
½ July 18, 2013
This fails across the board: acting, directing, effects, you name it.
½ April 28, 2013
Sorority House Massacre is awful in every possible way. Acting, music, cinematography, directing... you name, it's awful. It tries hard to be similar to Halloween and fails in every regard. Laugh in amazement at how awful the writing (people watching their friends die and are not even upset or angered or try to save them!?) truly is. So many illogical things happen in this movie that it is hard to give it anything other than a .5/5
½ January 17, 2013
In something of a "Oh c'mon, REALLY?" twist, a girl with a mysterious past begins to remember that she used to live in the sorority house that she's moving into, and that her brother slaughtered the entire family in said house...and maybe he's not done.

Dun-dun-dun.

It's an okay timewaster, and I'm happy to have gotten it off the To-Watch Pile.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
½ October 27, 2012
Yet another slasher film about a killer who escapes from a mental institution. This escapee goes on a killing spree at a sorortiy house but not before the girls try on all of Cindy's clothes while she is away.
½ September 19, 2012
There's something about a killer in blue jeans and a belt that just isn't scary.
½ September 5, 2012
I actually feel that this was quite superior to Slumber Part Massacre... Both are poor Halloween imitations, perhaps this one more so, but they are slashers to enjoy! Sorority House Massacre sported much more of a story however and in fairness wasn't badly executed... There were a few good deaths and the killer certainly seemed more menacing and disturbed than that of Slumber Party Massacre
½ July 30, 2012
"The knife is a phallic symbol."-Sara (Pamela Ross)

One of the endless BLACK CHRISTMAS/HALLOWEEN imitators. I thought the sorority girls, with the exception of Beth (Angrla O' Neill), were rather homely (nice breasts though).
Completely average slash flick.
July 16, 2012
As other people perhaps more capable than I have probably pointed out already, Sorority House Massacre is one of the most blatant Halloween rip-offs ever made. It's also a very poor excuse for a horror movie. It goes off-point so much with terrible dialogue and not much in the horror department. When the horror does kick in, it's weak and not all that horrific. There's also tons of terrible costumes and music. I know this was made in the eighties, but damn. I can't imagine anyone not noticing it back then either. Overall, it's just a bad movie, and not a good horror movie. Pretty skippable if you ask me.