Soul of the Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Soul of the Game Reviews

April 28, 2014
Pretty darn good! I think even better than '42' in a way! I think all three of the main actors were excellent! And the story is really strong and cohesive. Poor Josh Gibson...
July 5, 2012
Perfectly acted film that explores the potential candidates to break The Color Line in Major League Baseball. Of course, we know it will be Jackie Robinson (Blair Underwood) that Branch Rickey (Edward Herrmann) will handpick. The rivalry and friendship shared between Robinson, Satchel Paige (Delroy Lindo), and Josh Gibson (Mikelti Williamson) are what really moves this historical drama. Even a non-baseball fan should be entertained by this HBO production.
May 25, 2012
The Satchel Paige Story"The first black man to try to play professionally."
½ February 2, 2011
just ok. Somewhat interesting, but not terribly. Ballplaying quality is average to fair.
April 3, 2010
The Satchel Paige Story"The first black man to try to play professionally."
½ February 28, 2010
A decent movie about three of the greatest to play the game. This is NOT a movie about the Negro Leagues. This is a film about three giants of the game in a race to be the first to integrate Major League Baseball and force it to actually be what it falsely claimed to be for years: the NATIONAL pastime. As such, it's a little light on biographical information, but it's an entertaining film nonetheless. Worth the rental.
December 8, 2009
A great movie about the Negro Leagues and agruabely a tandom of the greatest PITCHER (Satchel Paige) and HITTER of ALL TIME Josh Gibson.
½ March 4, 2009
good depiction of the negro leagues and the jackie robinson trailblazing from the perspective of black folks.
½ January 16, 2009
One of the best baseball movies I've ever seen. Maybe because it was a TV movie, it doesn't get proper distribution or respect. I would put this up against any other baseball movie out there.