Sound and Fury - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sound and Fury Reviews

March 24, 2017
Emotionally explosive and rightfully even-handed, this is a timeless and universal documentary (for all the hearing world) that opens the gates between two worlds and presents mankind with a heavy question all parents must ask themselves.
October 6, 2014
Wildly articulate, intelligent and highly emotional without being volatile, this film gives voice to the options surrounding cochlear implants and it's threatening effect perceived by the deaf community.
Wonderfully personal and intimate; profoundly, deeply moving, see vulnerable people open up about their experiences.
On the DVD, see the extra 20 min of extra interviews which gives even more insight - an example of someone who rejected the implant, and another who had difficulty and yet embraced it.
I also recommend finding the 2013-14 TEDtalk of Heather Artinian - the central little girl of the doc - who speaks about what she has learned since, and her brilliant philosophy she's developed bc of her experiences.
Brilliant, illuminating, authentic and ultimately inspiring.

5 out of 5
½ May 7, 2013
Judge not, lest ye be judged...
½ April 10, 2013
I loved this documentary. It goes into the life of two related families who are both trying to decide whether their children should receive a cochlear implant. One family has two hearing parents (the mom was brought up by two deaf parents) who have twins and find out that one of them is deaf. While the other family has two deaf parents who have a daughter who asks them if she can receive an implant. While the movie itself can get very frustrating because you're only seeing one family circle where all the parents are putting their wishes on their children, it is so emotional and thought-provoking. For me, it was the first time that I was exposed to this idea of deaf culture and the deaf community. I really enjoyed the amount of emotion that this movie conveys, and I just wish it could've spread out this story to cover more than just these two families.
½ March 30, 2012
good almost doc like quality i never knew this place existed
½ December 6, 2011
Although using voice overs for the deaf subjects trivializes their deafness (which is what much of their character motivations come from), SOUND AND FURY is still a fascinating, evenhanded documentary that wisely provides us with no easy answers to the provocative questions it raises.
May 17, 2011
Lovely and enlightening.
April 29, 2011
There is so much to be said about this documentary, but mostly I'm impressed by how frustrated, emotionally charged, exhausted, upset, and downright angry it could make me. Proof that decisions, no matter how logical they might seem, are always up for contention.
April 1, 2011
Best documentary I've seen a long time...available instantly on Netflix.
½ September 5, 2010
Really engaging & ear-opening documentary!
July 20, 2010
While this movie is at least 10 years old, it tell us about some really advanced technology for deaf and hearing impaired people. I found this film a little monotonous and one-sided with the deaf father of the deaf baby being stubborn and angry all the time. I realize that he probably only has good intentions on his mind, but being in denial as he is, defencive and pushy, wouldn‚??t help him raise his daughter well. I would have to agree with other people who believe that this kind of parents should be considered ‚??abusive‚??. After watching this movie and doing a bit of research on my own, it appears that most times deaf parents strongly oppose any kind of surgical implantation and hearing parents want their kids to be able to hear at any cost. It seems like the entire movie is built around the argument between ‚??for‚?? and ‚??against‚??. The ‚??for‚?? argument mostly concentrates on the fact of the existence of the ‚??deaf community‚?? and ‚??deaf culture‚??. I‚??ve got no bad feelings towards such communities, but the sole presence of those sub-societies confirms discrimination and isolation of deaf people. Hearing parents on the other side have a better understanding of being different, and want to provide their kids with better opportunities in life, better quality of life, by allowing them to learn how to communicate through speech while still being young.With my wife being severely hearing impaired, my two most favorite quotes out of the entire movie are: ‚??the deaf world is changing‚?? and ‚??you cant stop the future‚?? .After talking to my wife we‚??ve decided that if we were to have a deaf baby, we would most definitely let the technology help us.
½ June 22, 2010
A fascinating, even-handed and emotional documentary on the cochlear implant debate and a great inside look at Deaf culture.
June 18, 2010
when it comes down to it, this documentary is about two sides of a family that have very different views on the subject. both views are expressed and given even coverage...and while i think both sides were overly critical of the others' decisions, i can't throw too much criticism myself, not ever having to deal with such a situation. i will say that the parents and grandparents did seem to be serving their own wants over the children (which is a bit frustrating as a viewer), but that's pretty much the case in any situation where the kids aren't old enough to make their own decisions. interesting watch, but i would have liked to have seen a film with more subjects going through this situation rather than dealing with people within one family circle.
May 20, 2010
Everyone should see this! Does exactly what a documentary should do: open up the audience's eyes to an often ignored story. The Artinian families' stories are extremely inspiring.
½ September 2, 2009
Considers an interesting debate - is it better to provide deaf children with the possibility of hearing or continue to raise them in the world of the deaf? The struggles to decide are smartly shown through two siblings and their families, leading to some scenes and thoughts which are truly heartbreaking.
½ August 23, 2009
A well made documentary about the Deaf community and the choice to give deaf children cochlear implants. It is so real and accurate that it produces an almost voyeuristic view into the much misunderstood deaf community.

I recommend this to any viewer as it elicited in depth conversations between my husband and I after finishing the film.
½ August 3, 2009
An absolute must watch.
January 28, 2009
Such a fascinating look at Deaf culture.
December 6, 2008
Interesting documentary about a topic that not many outside of the deaf community know about. It is definitely very emotional. While it did not change my view of cochlear implants, it helped me understand another viewpoint better.
November 24, 2008
Loved this movie! Very deep and touching.