Sound City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sound City Reviews

October 30, 2014
It can get to be a bit long for those not on fire for music (yours truly). It's nevertheless a remarkable documentary about family, legacy, and tapping into your creativity.
October 5, 2014
A great effort from Dave Grohl, in a documentary that captures the magic of music recording...
September 27, 2014
Great movie for rock music lovers.
½ September 17, 2014
Sound City is absolutely jaw dropping. It delivers so much history to the music scene!
September 8, 2014
Superbly done doco from Grohl. A great story and I enjoyed them showing the soundtrack recording at the end. Some massive albums made here. Great collaborations in the soundtrack album.
September 1, 2014
A very good look at how rock and roll was the cornerstone of a musical movement that changed a generation. Dave Grohl has pieced together a great documentary about a studio that produced some of the music industry's most infamous bands and some of theiro most infamous albums. Any music lover will enjoy Sound City and will appreciate the work and dedication that Grohl has put into this film. A music see for rock music fans.
August 12, 2014
One of the BEST music documentaries I've ever seen!! A must see for everybody!!
August 10, 2014
Meh. Probably an hour too long. The backstory was interesting. But the rest of it - trying to illustrate how the soundboard makes things sound better- was pretty lame and self indulgent.
½ August 5, 2014
Watched it twice already, look forward to showing other people.
½ July 28, 2014
Not as good s Muscle Shoales.
½ July 28, 2014
An interesting look at the inside of a few rockers way of life. A refreshing emphasis is placed on quality and skill. Comments from Neil young are on point and overall you can see what Grohl is trying to achieve. Listening to Paul McCartney just walk into the studio with no plans and jam with Grohl is kind of special in its own right. Influential people doing what they love.
July 20, 2014
Lost a star due to the addition of Rick Springfield. F that guy.
June 19, 2014
A beautiful movie about an amazing place in musical history! a must see
½ June 4, 2014
As a music fan, I'm ashamed it has taken me this long to see this documentary. Any music fan will love it. A valentine to a great studio. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because I'm not a big fan of some of the artists in the documentary. But, even they acquit themselves very well in the film
½ June 1, 2014
Good start, mediocre finish. I have the utmost respect for Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins, and it's probably bucket list material to see Foo Fighters in concert. So that they're in this and doing their thing is only a plus.

Great story: this shitty little studio where some of the greatest songs of all-time are recorded. So that's pretty interesting and you get a little behind-the-music stuff with some of those artists.

Where the movie strays is after the studio closes and Dave buys the board. That story is still great, but the final 30 minutes or so are just musicians jamming out in Dave's new studio with the old board. If I knew the songs maybe it would be more interesting, but I'm not much into artists just jamming together. Still, I love my music and there are some good artists in there.
May 18, 2014
A captivating documentary about a studio with so much history. Dave Grohl did a fantastic job in his directorial debut !
May 5, 2014
Superb documentary charting the a studio's history in producing some of the greatest music recorded over the last 40 years
½ April 29, 2014
Mahtavaa musaa ja helvetin hyvšt soundit!
April 28, 2014
One of the greatest tributes to music, the minds who create it and the studio that made it all possible. Dave Grohl's in depth look at the technological movement from analog to digital is done without bias... and the soundtrack is a mix of nostalgic classics and modern rock. This is the perfect rockumentary about a brand of music that may never replicated again. Reviewed 4/26/14. Rated 5 out of 5.
April 25, 2014