Sound of My Voice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sound of My Voice Reviews

March 22, 2015
The movie info say they unravel the secret. Right, but not much is revealed. The whole exercise is more about the intrigue. What is it? Maggie coming from the future is not futuristic. She comes out as the very plain Jane, maybe even confused future girl. The only evidence she might come from the future comes at the very end and other explanations are possible. The question is, what does it take to fall into the cult trap? What boundaries do people cross to please the cult? How far can the cult dynamic make you go? All very relevant questions that the film tease you with. The characters all come out real, realistic. I've seen a lot of westerns and world war movies that satisfy more these questions. It's a little tease of a film with charming women that are nice to listen to and look at. There are a few in town but are not in films.
½ March 15, 2015
Everything in this film is top-notch. Acting, writing, pacing, cinematography, story, etc. Definitely one to make you think as it draws you further into its mystery. Nearly 5 stars.
March 7, 2015
Really interesting movie. wasn't what I was expecting and I felt like it was really well acted. different but good different.
February 28, 2015
The idea for this movie was a good one, but everything about it made it painful to sit through. I was hoping for an ending to give purpose to this cult's existence, but it was a real letdown.
½ February 17, 2015
This is one of the movie you see and think about it for few hours when it ends..Low budget but very well scripted..
½ January 17, 2015
The movie is occasionally gripping but generally slow. As it rolls towards the big climax moment, inconsistencies accumulate. To a degree, the end is predictable even with the twist.
January 3, 2015
Fantastic! Best I've seen in months! Recomend it to ANYONE!
December 20, 2014
Sound Of My Voice is an original and ambitious mystery film that's both refreshingly and annoyingly ambiguous, but it's still consistently involving and has quite a potent atmosphere throughout, and Brit Marling is absolutely brilliant as the leader of the cult, Maggie.
½ October 9, 2014
Really excellent setup, with a fairly weak payoff. There's a point after which everything basically happens as you think it will, so it comes to a bit of an anti-climax. And Denham does not have the chops to sell his character's underlying anger; the moments where he lashes out just seem weird and wrong. Marling is good, however, and the movie's brave commitment to long scenes of conversation reminded me of Breaking Bad (in a good way). Rough around the edges but overall good.
½ August 11, 2014
A very interesting film about a girl starting a secret cult. The narrative keeps you intrigued but the climax leaves lot of questions unanswered.
August 5, 2014
Though they've made only two films together, Zal Batmanglij and Brit Marling are a filmmaking pair that compliment each other like Yin and Yang - Batmanglij and Marling write the script together, but she stars, and he directs. Batmanglij can make even the barest of sets come alive, while Marling can draw you in with her ethereal beauty and earthy tone-of-voice. They're a match made in heaven, and it's becoming quite clear that in just a few years, they won't just be indie darlings anymore.
"Sound of My Voice", their debut, isn't quite as strong as last year's intense "The East", but it's accomplished filmmaking that boasts confidence that is rarely seen by rookie filmmakers.
The film focuses on Peter (Christopher Denham) and Lorna (Nicole Vicius), a young couple that aspires to make a documentary about a mysterious cult that is lead by the shadowy but magnetic Maggie (Marling). When they join, in hopes to get footage and eventually infiltrate the group, they begin to let themselves go into Maggie's twisted logistics.
In Maggie's introductory scene, we are drawn to her in the same way her followers are. Draped in a white sheet, hooked up to an oxygen tank, and claiming she is from the future (2054, to be exact), she easily could be too eccentric to take seriously - but she demands our complete attention, and it's nearly impossible to look the other way.
She makes strange demands (in one scene, she tells the members to eat an apple. Seconds later, she tells them to purge its remnants, as it is full of "logic, bitterness."), but with every odd move she takes, we can't help but want to trail in her footsteps. Maggie is so entrancing that there were plenty of moments where I wondered if this could be one of those movies where - surprise! - she actually is from the future!
It's easy to be tricked, because Marling is thoroughly convincing in her role. There are many scenes where she is forced to hypnotize an entire room simply with her aura, and she is so successful in this that there are times in which we can't help but wonder if her performance makes the film better than it actually is.
The budget is obviously low, but the story is strong enough to draw our focus elsewhere. Their is a constant uneasiness at every turn - Peter reminds us repeatedly that it's impossible to truly know what this cult is truly capable of - and when Maggie demands that her followers kidnap a young girl who she tells them is "her mother", the possibilities in our mind are endless. Will they kill her? Will they use her as a pawn for something deeper? What if she actually is her mother?
"Sound of My Voice" is like a game of cat-and-mouse that only exists in our mind. The ending is left somewhat ambiguous, and it's left up to the viewer to process the final scene. Maggie's reasoning behind her shenanigans are never out of the fog, but what the film represents on an even bigger spectrum, however, is that Batmanglij and Marling are going places. And I mean going places.
August 4, 2014
(First and only viewing - 12/18/2012)
August 3, 2014
A bit of a strange movie of a cult and the cult leader is from the future. Not really an entertaining movie.
July 22, 2014
such a crazy, creepy film - but also really really good. a real mind-fuck kind of movie, but it was a ton of fun to watch and really memorable. just thinking of how difficult the script was to write and execute properly makes the film that much more impressive.
July 22, 2014
The ending made the rest of the movie worth it.
July 20, 2014
A gripping and unsettling thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat - quite an achievement by a first-time director with minimal budget. The story is somewhat confusing and plays on the viewer's expectations, with the ending being a cleverly set up trap that leaves you with a bunch of questions and no way to answer them.
July 14, 2014
Amazing film and not something you experience quite often when watching a movie.
½ June 24, 2014
Another must for science fiction fans with a rich story thats both fascinating while feeling real. The first collaboration between, the very talented Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij, Sound of My Voice will have your mind scrambling for answers well into it's climactic ending.
½ April 24, 2014
You can tell the filmmakers poured their heart and soul into this movie. Great cinematography and good acting. Soundtrack was good too.
April 17, 2014
creepy movie - the ending is a ?