A Sound of Thunder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Sound of Thunder Reviews

January 19, 2012
I had fun with this movie. I was just hoping for some good entertainment. Not an Oscar performance.
½ December 23, 2011
man, this was really bad ... I even like some of the actors in it, and the actual cast wasn't all bad but the shetty and crude CGI makes this look much worse than a current $10 PC video game - all for the low low price of $80m

next time you feel like flushing $80m down the toilet, cure cancer or something useful with it instead

poor, poor Edward Burns - this is a long fall from Private Ryan
½ December 11, 2011
I have said for a long time that time travel is one of if not the most dangerous scientific concepts. A Sound of Thunder does a very nice job showing why this is so. This movie is based on a Ray Bradbury and shows what happens when you mess with the past if just one little thing is changed. The visual effects are ok and there is some decent action. I like Edward Burns and he's decent here as the lead. He's not your typical scientist but kind of reminds me of an athlete that is also going for his phd in college. Overall, this movie has a very interesting concept and showcases it in a pretty cool way. Check it out if you like sci-fi or time travel movies.
November 22, 2011
How dare they take a classic Ray Bradbury story and turn it into this choppy, cheesy, poorly acted and uninteresting shoot em up folly.
November 20, 2011
Dreadful. It doesn't even take any interesting ideas from the short story, The cast sucks, the production value isn't actually that poor as it does look like they tried their best with the low budget but the CGI looked so fake and cheap it totally kills any little credibility it had left.
½ October 12, 2011
I feel like this movie is underrated. maybe the graphics are weak, but it had a great plot
September 25, 2011
this adaptatio of the ray bradbury story ' A delicate sound of thunder, is a watchable movie, despite some dodgy CGI, (a scene with two characters walking down a futuristic street looks awfully matted, and you can tell that the two aren't actually there, vbecause they look like they've been plonked int te sence). the dinosaurs are computer game level CG, but the story is fun, and moves along while being a bit bonkers.(why if the world keeps changing does the cityscape look the same). with more care this could have been great rather then b-movie good.
½ September 10, 2011
Worse than End of Days. Get Peter Hyams out from behind the camera before he strikes again!
August 20, 2011
This movie was loosely--and I do mean loosely--based on a Ray Bradbury short story of the same name. The Bradbury story was clever and thought-provoking. This movie had a great cast, from Ben Kingsley to Catherine McCormack. Too bad the script was terrible. It had cardboard characters (Kingsley plays a one-dimensional, evil capitalist; no other kind exists in movies these days) and pitifully executed action--the underwater scene where a man holds his breath for over 5 minutes and kills a giant moray eel with a knife to the gill, while avoiding the foot-long teeth and snapping jaws, had to be seen to be disbelieved. To add insult to injury, the science was so bad, it made The Core and Armegeddon seem scholarly--I still don't see how THAT could be possible. They even screwed up a drowning resuscitation scene so badly....never mind.
August 14, 2011
Had a good laugh watching this. Terrible quality which makes the film quite endearing really.
August 4, 2011
The classic Bradbury short story is reduced to propping up a generic disaster movie.
½ July 18, 2011
½ July 10, 2011
What happens when you radically change the past? You get Ben Kingsley in the worst toupee this side William Shatner's hair!! A great premise is lost in lackluster performances by all, and mediocre special effects.
½ July 8, 2011
So imagine that you've built a time machine and you can go back to any point in history. Sweet, right? Now here are your rules: don't touch anything, don't take anything, don't leave anything. Takes the fun right out of it, doesn't it? Well so does 'A Sound of Thunder'.
When an experimental leap into the past sets off a chain of devastating evolutionary consequences, a group of scientists must work against the clock to fix an altered past that has been changed by a seemingly small event.
Aside from the scientific inaccuracies, not-so-special special effects and a story-line that is both over-used and un-interesting, the film takes no time in boring the crap out of even the most easily amused audiences. My advice, just read the damn book. At least then you may be entertained.
½ June 25, 2011
This movie is as inconsistent as the Theory of Evolution.

At least the theory of evolution contributes to the imagination of Hollywood fairytales such as this one, as that's all it's good for.
½ June 14, 2011
Pretty cheesy but not horrible as far as mindless entertainment goes.
June 2, 2011
Good concept, poor execution. Crappy special effects, theory on time was incorrect, but an enjoyable watch
May 23, 2011
This would qualify as an "epic fail". It had everything going for it but it fails on every plane imaginable. First of all it's based on an iconic short story by celebrated science fiction author Ray Bradbury. Second it's directed by visionary director Peter Hyams, the man responsible for respectable science fiction films such as "Capricorn One", "2010" and "Outland". Third it has a strong cast lead by Edward Burns. Fourth it had a high budget with somewhere along the lines of $50-$80 million (depends on the source you look up). How the fuck did this fail so bad?

For those not familiar with the Ray Bradbary story, "A Sound of Thunder" is a science fiction plot that takes place in the not too distant future where time travel has been achieved and now is utilized as a vacation source for the rich and snobby. Edward Burns heads the scientific team that leads these people back into time in order to witness historic events and even kill dinosaurs. All this is achieved with the most delicate measures in order not to change something in the past and thus changing the future. All goes well until a equipment malfunction leads a vacationer to step on a butterfly which then of course changes the entire outcome of the future. Now Burns is in a race against time to fix the past in order to save the future.

Sounds like an intriguing plot doesn't it? It is and it's one of the most intelligent and important stories in the realm of science fiction. The film however is not...

The whole film feels rushed and unfinished. Our filmmakers take an intriguing plot and end up playing with like it's some B-science fiction drivel. We get lots of time paradoxes and monsters running around in the dark. Basically if you take Peter Hyman's films "Timecop" and "The Relic", stick them in a blender with a tablespoon of dog shit and "A Sound of Thunder" would be the result.

The acting itself seems underwhelming as our entire cast is going through the motions like they are really uninterested in the roles they are playing. Edward Burns seems bored and usually great actor Ben Kingsley, complete with sporting a awful futuristic wig, seems to treat the film like an easy paycheck.

The shit icing on the cake has to be the awful special effects. This came out in 2004, over a decade after Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park and the CGI computer effects are just embarrassing, almost as if they aren't fully completed. I'm serious when I say these special effects are no better than the typical crapfest shown on SyFy channel... I shit you not. I was embarrassed for the filmmakers by these deplorable effects.

Director Peter Hymans trademark darkly lit style is evident but the seems to be an engineer in charge of a train careening out of control. I truly like him as a director but this is an embarrassment and a black mark on his filmography. One can't put all the blame on him though as the film was plagued with production problems ranging from their locations being flooded to the production company going bankrupt before the film was completed.

Production distress aside this is still clumsy adaption of a science fiction classic and ends up being an insult to Ray Bradbary's written work. It just fails on every level imaginable and despite it's large scale budget the final result would only be suitable for SyFy channel material. Of course it was a box office dud only making a small fraction of its budget back and pretty much derailed director Peter Hyam's career for good which is a damn shame as he is a fine director whose name should be attached to far better films than this.
May 23, 2011
A SOUND OF THUNDER (2005)