Sounder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

November 1, 2010
Monday, November 1, 2010

(1972) Sounder
DRAMA

Plotless film which showcases a young African American young boy while growing up during "The Great Depression" USA! I have no idea why the movie is called "Sounder" since it is only a name the family named their dog who's hardly a factor! Great scenery as well as the country side but doesn't carry any message of any kind except to showcase the unequal treatment African Americans receive even as regular citizens! Good raw musical score by real life blues artist Taj Mahal who also has a role as Ike!

3 out of 4
May 3, 2010
I just wish for a movie about a dog, it would have focused more on the dog. Does not follow the book either
½ March 11, 2010
'72??? Really? Whoa. Pretty impressive movie! Super top quality acting.. and pretty educational.
½ January 24, 2010
Excellent movie about a black family in depression-era Louisiana. Billed as a movie about the wife (played by Cicily Tyson), but I saw it as more of a coming-of-age film for the family's oldest son.
October 16, 2009
Caught a few scenes of this, really wanna finish the rest
September 21, 2009
***1/2 (out of four)

Set in Louisiana in the 1930's, a family of black sharecroppers and the hard times they face to make a living at the height of the great depression.
September 16, 2009
Sounder (1972) -- [8.0] -- Martin Ritt's film version of William H. Armstrong's Newbery Award winning novel is a beautiful slice of life picture about poor black sharecroppers weathering the Great Depression. The story is simple, but the characters are rich. Paul Winfield and Cicely Tyson give strong performances as the hard-working, fierce-loving parents. Young Kevin Hooks also does a good job as their oldest son, David Lee, who has a chance for a future far greater than their own. The film was Oscar-nominated for best picture, best actor (Winfield), best actress (Tyson), and best adapted screenplay. (That's James Best as the town sheriff, a role he would give a comic spin seven years later in "The Dukes of Hazzard".)
September 7, 2009
Nice family movie that does a great job depicting the determination of one poor, black family in Louisiana during the Depression. Excellent acting by Kevin Hooks. The fact that Sheriff Roscoe Pecoe from the Dukes of Hazzard was the Sheriff here made me laugh (although it was not supposed to).
April 26, 2009
Not sure that I agree with all the award nominations that went along with this movie, but it was very good and the whole cast was good as well.
April 24, 2009
Honest and touching, Martin Ritt's Oscar-nominated Sounder, a Depression-era saga, does proud the American family and the American family movie genre.
March 25, 2009
A breathtaking film. A heartbreaking look at African American life life during the Great Depression but with pure tenderness and a true example of the human spirit.
February 28, 2009
It's been so long since I saw this (in fact, I think the only other time I've seen this was in 6th grade when we watched it after reading the book), so I figured I'd check it out again. It's a very good movie about a black family in the 30s struggling to survive after the father gets arrested for trying to feed the family. I love that Cicely Tyson and Paul Winfield both got nominated for this, it's not really the kind of performance that would get much attention back then (or perhaps even today) at the Oscars. Some very good scenes, especially the final moment between David and his father at the pond.
January 18, 2009
A great family drama about how shitty it was to be black, poor, and live in Louisiana during the Great Depression. It's not over sentimental and race isn't as big a issue as you would think. Great performances from Winfield and Hooks as father and son.
½ January 17, 2009
I didn't want to like iit, because I get traumatized by these types of movies. I did like it after all. I won't say that I shed any tears, but I'll just say that there was something in my eye that caused moisture to run down my cheek. 'nuff said?
January 1, 2009
it was depressing.</3
½ November 22, 2008
ummmmmm i saw the last part it was ok
October 15, 2008
nominated for best picture by NBR and at the oscars
August 24, 2008
Quiet but uplifting family drama.
May 31, 2008
The movie Sounder made me so sad when the dog died. I cried so much and still cry when i think about this movie. I watched this movie in class, besides the dog getting killed i quite enjoyed this movie.
March 31, 2008
i loved this movie. when i was 14 and getting heavily into rural blues a friend of mine suggested that i see it.the story is brutal and i've never forgotten it. more than i can say for the fuckin godfather. i was amzed that this movie didn't receive it's due.