South of Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

South of Heaven Reviews

September 15, 2011
One brother is held mentally captive by a Mad Dog. The other brother finds transformation via a brutal beatdown. Soon they will collide in a burst of oddball violence. South of Heaven has a fun cast, wild colors, and probably weird for weird's sake painted backdrops. Is it good? Maybe. I definitely like Shea Whigham's wacko killer and Diora Baird is surprisingly effective as the little girl lost. Still, feels like it was made by a couple guys who just really love David Lynch films. Not VF.
½ October 27, 2008
This is a play... not a movie. Even if technically it is a movie, it really plays as though it's just a movie of a play. The monologues just keep coming and coming and the sets look like they were for a high school musical. Visually, the costumes and style are interesting and the characters/acting aren't bad. But this film should be left alone. Trust me
½ October 27, 2008
Just awful. After the fourth pretentious monologue I was bored, after the fifteenth I was ready to walk out the door. Starts with a promising idea and has a very unique style, but it becomes increasingly painful to watch as the characters endlessly talk in circles. If edited, it would make a great ten minute short, but at 90 odd minutes it becomes a test of wills just to stay seated. Definitely one to avoid.
½ October 26, 2008
A curious noir riff, grounded by Shea Whigham's remarkable performance as a psychopath (sociopath?) on the run.
½ October 24, 2008
I WANT AN HOUR AND A HALF OF MY LIFE BACK PLEASE.
October 5, 2008
: Neo-noir crime and revenge story that won Best Film at FANTASTICFEST this year. A young introvert moves to the city to finish the great American novel when a simple case of mistaken identity leaves him broken, disfigured and out for revenge. Add some quirky hit men, a Mad Dog killer, heaps of violence and femme fatales and you have one hell of a crime story.
September 24, 2008
There?s a marked difference between stage and screen, and South of Heaven is a film that really reminds a viewer of that difference. More than its limited locations, small cast, and hand-painted backdrops, the film also has the dialogue of a good play, with interesting character monologues and audience asides that come close to breaking the 4th wall. Still, I?m not sure that South of Heaven, with all of its looney tunes ambition (think the Coen Bros meets Lil? Abner meets Darkman, then make that a noir), really works as a movie. It works as a story, but I could never quite overlook the un-cinematic-ness of it, as on display here. The same story with a bigger budget and a little bit of script fat-trimming would probably be an incredible movie, and it?s almost a shame to see it exist in the form that it does?too low-budget for its own good. The cast is all-around good, doing good service to the material, and J.L. Vara may be a writer to watch. If you have an open heart to DIY movies, truly independent stuff, then you?ll feel rewarded by South of Heaven.
September 15, 2008
Really unusual-looking, but entertaining, noir with a distinct southwestern vibe to it. Sadistic, serious, realistic, and cartoony at the same time. And hey, there's some singing, too!