South Pacific - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

South Pacific Reviews

January 27, 2013
Excessive and distasteful. No amount of amusing lyrics can save this one.
January 27, 2013
Watch the original theatrical version(with intermission and off-color!). So good!
December 25, 2012
Long, boring and the colour tinting is distracting.
½ December 21, 2012
Good movie and beautiful setting as I enjoyed this musical. I also enjoyed the message of the simpleness of life and how we can get lost in things not important in the world, I could live there too and be happy
December 7, 2012
Classic! This was one of my favorites as a little girl. I still love it!
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
September 16, 2012
Im sure its a wonderful
Film but i just kept falling asleep..zzzz
August 4, 2012
I like some of the songs, I used to love it when I was little for some reason, then when I got older I thought it was boring! Weird.
July 28, 2012
If you like musicals, this will be in your top.
July 24, 2012
Wonderful to see it on Blu-Ray. Looks good from Todd AO 65mm. Still relevant today.
½ July 22, 2012
Not amazing, but enjoyable with some good songs and some good moments. Easily rewatchable.
½ April 29, 2012
Great old musical...
April 28, 2012
I own this movie and have never watched it.
April 6, 2012
Wonderful musical score and so romantic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ March 28, 2012
Although Rogers and Hammerstein wrote many great musicals, I believe that overall the score of South Pacific is the strongest, producing many 'old standards'.

"There is Nothing' Like a Dame", "Younger than Springtime", "Bali Hai", "Gonna Wash that Man Right outa my Hair", and the eternal "Some Enchanted Evening" are major highlights, but many other delightful and strong songs help fill this impressive musical.

Of course there is a love story, but there is also a strong lesson of the dangers of bigotry even for people who would never imagine themselves to be so.

Many have criticized the filters used in camera shots during many songs (and a few other scenes). It was ground breaking at the time, and certainly different. Although I myself would certainly rather see the 'pure colors' of those scenes as well, I can respect the wish of the cinematographer to try something that had really seldom been done in major films, but is a staple of still photography.

Unless you just hate musicals, this is a must see film in its genre.
March 23, 2012
One of those rare musicals I just don't enjoy.
February 24, 2012
There are some very good songs in this musical and the scenary is absolutely beautiful. The only bits that bored me were the fighting scenes, but they were towards the end and weren't that intrusive. I loved the special filters that gave some scenes a hue.
January 31, 2012
I really like this movie its a fantastic musical
January 10, 2012
Simply too overly done. There is too little choreography, too much bright lighting, and too lifelessly acted. This is a musical, and thus it ought to be filmed as such. Plus, and Italian guy playing a French guy!!?? Absolutely not!
December 4, 2011
What I now believe is a classic, South Pacific tells the story of war, love, and the power of moving on. The classic cast and fantastic music make the film memorable with such hits as, "There is Nothing Like A Dame" "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out Of My Hair" "Younger Than Springtime" and "Some Enchanted Evening". I love the music, the film, and the actors!