South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut Reviews

March 4, 2016
"South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut" is stupid while managing to often be intelligent. it is frequently Hilarious and has plenty of memorable songs:
March 2, 2016
146 F---s, so it's easy to love it. Mkay.
½ February 25, 2016
This is a must see for the series fan.
February 21, 2016
South park is an incredible TV series but I thought a movie would not be that great. I was horribly wrong. This movie has its common adult comedy but also had a lot of action-packed moments with a great story. In my opinion, I think this movie is great.
February 11, 2016
HILARIOUS,JAW-DROPPING,GREAT VOICE PERFORMANCES,GREAT PLOT.GREAT EVERYTHING.THE MUSICAL THAT WON'T MAKE A CHILD FALL ASLEEP
½ January 26, 2016
In my review of The Simpsons Movie, I described the film as essentially an extended episode of the TV series, which was unlikely to bring the show a great deal of new fans. I argued that the film contained many of the storytelling patterns and character problems which the series has developed over its decades-long run, but that there was enough by way of ideas and humour - however scattershot - to see it through.

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut is surrounded by problems on all sides, some similar to The Simpsons Movie, others very different. It shares its essential narrative characteristic of being an extended episode, but is also overshadowed by the subsequent visual development of the series, not to mention the kind of subjects it has since chosen to tackle. Even in the wake of Team America: World Police, there's something about the film which feels quant and old-fashioned, almost to the point where you could call it innocent. But it's still a very funny comedy which has already aged much better than its yellow-skinned counterpart.

The first challenge confronting us in South Park (as it will be known hereafter) is its visuals. Whether by accident or design, The Simpsons' creators held off from making a feature film until long after the series had become successful. By the time they finally caved in, whether because of fan pressure or pushy accountants, the technology had advanced to the point where putting it on the big screen made a little bit of sense. The upgraded animation gave the film a lift and fooled us - at least for a short while - that what we were seeing in the cinema was still extremely televisual.

South Park's creators, by contrast, made the jump to the big screen relatively early. It's fair to say that Matt Stone and Trey Parker weren't sure how long the show would last; given the edginess of its content, they may have felt that if they didn't do it now, the show could have been cancelled and they might never get the chance. The downside to this is that the animation is very akin to the early series, before the show had really found its feet around the time of 'Scott Tenorman Must Die'. The rough edges may be part of the charm of South Park, but on the big screen its aesthetic limitations are more easily exposed. A complete facelift could have alienated its core audience, but given the time and the higher budget that the film enjoyed, it wouldn't have hurt to polish things up just a little.

No amount of visual polishing, however, can mitigate South Park's narrative shortcomings. The real appeal of the series at its best is not how far it goes with bad taste humour and taboo imagery: it's the ability of Stone and Parker to take a complex issue and examine it with great nuance in 20-odd hilarious minutes. Later series have experimented with two-parters, three-parters or even a series-long arc, but even after the show moved on from Kyle saying "you see, I've learned something today", that's still the quality which keeps audiences coming back.

That's all well and good when you've only got 20-odd minutes to play with, and Stone and Parker do deserve credit for hitting the mark so often with the ideas that they want to explore. But it becomes a problem when you're trying to make a film that's four times as long, but you don't have four times the story. Some of the padding is pretty blatant, insofar as you can see where the big moral showdown is going to come from and become ever more anxious when we don't get there as quickly as possible. You could cut out all the scenes with The Mole, including his musical number parodying LÚs Miserables, and the film wouldn't suffer at all.

While its execution may be on the baggy side, however, the ideas of South Park are still rich and pertinent. While whole aspects of The Simpsons Movie have aged poorly because of its over-reliance on dated pop cultural references, the debates about censorship, political correctness and moral double standards have if anything grown in importance. Even before Stone and Parker devoted the whole of the last series to this kind of subject matter, this film is ample demonstration of their passion for personal liberty and free speech.

A recurring motif in South Park over the years has been the boys' parents getting the wrong end of the stick and coming across as more idiotic than their offspring. Sheila Broflovski epitomises two traits which her son Kyle and his friends see right through as foolish and nonsensical. The first is the classic double standard towards liberty: she only believes in freedom of speech when it's promoting the things she condones, and seeks to suppress such liberties under the banner of protecting people. The second is a pathological failure to accept blame for one's actions, at least until it is too late to be useful. Bringing on the apocalypse may be an extreme example, but her behaviour distracts from the real issues and seeks a quick fix to a far more complex problem.

As well as attacking those who would suppress free speech, South Park also makes an intelligent (and foul-mouthed) argument for the virtue of retaining this liberty. Fitting Cartman with a V-chip may be funny, and stop people from being offended, but it robs him of his freedom to choose and therefore a crucial part of what makes him human. When he turns his malfunctioning chip into a weapon, it's not just an excuse to swear for the hell of it; it's a violent expression of human free will, literally defeating the demons which would contain it. Rather like the "cock, asshole and pussy" speech in Team America, what on the surface appears to be shallow, crass and adolescent is actually pretty insightful.

The film also takes aim at many of the series' regular targets, including the US military, racism, xenophobia and the incompetence of governments, both national and global. But Stone and Parker also have enough self-awareness to take the mickey out of themselves along the way. The characters of Terrence and Philip have often served as avatars for how the series is perceived, and the hysteria over the duo's first full-length film is a sly, postmodern dig at how this film would be hyped ahead of release. It's Stone and Parker's way of putting themselves into the film without it seeming like they are holding up the action to make a clever point.

The music in South Park is both surprisingly good and contributes to the episodic feeling of the film. A handful of the songs have become classics among the fans, from the Oscar-nominated 'Blame Canada' to the tasteless 'Uncle F***a' and the leftfield 'What Would Brian Boitano Do?'. But like a lot of musicals, the story is too thin to stop the musical numbers feeling like set-pieces which could be heard in any order. The songwriting skill that would later produce The Book of Mormon is here in plain sight, but the script that goes along with it has some catching up to do.

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut is a funny if fault-ridden attempt to put the series on the big screen. Like The Simpsons Movie it is still a prisoner of its original format, hamstrung by its visual shortcomings and the lack of a consistent or expansive script. But for all its structural problems, the film makes up for it with a smart and subversive examination of still-pertinent ideas. It's hard to hold it up as any kind of benchmark considering where the series has since gone, but as a document of where we've come from, it still has appeal.
January 16, 2016
A true comedy classic for adults
December 16, 2015
Even with the South Park movie being over 10 years old it still makes me chuckle. It's got some real catchy tunes and is still just as relevant.
December 11, 2015
Its jokes are profoundly bold and rude but incredibly funny at the same time.
December 5, 2015
funny fuckin ufilm uncle fucker
½ October 29, 2015
51%
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut is strictly for fans of the show. But there are some socially and politically charged laughs for newcomers.
½ October 15, 2015
in my opinion this movie just feels like a long south park episode ,not that thats a bad thing but i just expected more from mat and trey the jokes are bold as usual but the whole muisical singy parts feel kinda forced . if you like south park you will love this movie if you hate south park you will probobley hate this movie .
½ October 14, 2015
South Park has been a favorite of mine, so naturally, I wanted to check out the movie. And, boy, am I glad I did. Memorable songs, hilarious jokes, and an interesting plot makes this movie a must watch for any satire fans.
½ October 6, 2015
Dear god this movie is funny even though I hate musicals Stan at his funniest Kyle at his Jewishes cart man at his fatest and Kenny dies! EVERY ONE NEEDS TO EATCH THIS
October 3, 2015
77/100 extremely rude and obscene but incredibly hilarious
September 19, 2015
Crude and vulgar. Excellent.
September 15, 2015
One of my favorite animated movies. Foul, funny, and even heartwarming at times...
September 15, 2015
The Funniest and most Foul mouthed animated movie ever made!
September 7, 2015
As a huge fan of South Park, I actually think this movie is a "just OK" episode stretched out into 80 minutes. Sure, it's offensive, satirical, and has laughs throughout, but it's stretched out and can't maintain its hilarity.

If you are a fan of the show, you will like this movie. It's clever at points, has good laughs, and contains the happy, little, quiet mountain town we all know and love.

If you have never seen this show, well.... You might be surprised by all the offensive, vulgar things it contains. I recommend you give the show a chance to see if the humor is your cup of tea before you view this movie.

The plot is a bit clever. The 4 boys go see the new Terrance and Phillip movie (T & P is a Canadian cartoon in the show) and see all it's crude humor. The movie is R-rated so they had to sneak in with a homeless man that pretended to be their guardian. While everyone in the theater is repulsed, the boys adore it. They end up quoting the movie, telling their classmates, and buying the merchandise. One of the mother's hears these things and forms a group called "Mothers Against Canada" which leads to an all out war between the US and Canada.

It does play satire on censorship, freedom of speech, and how kids mimic what they see and hear. The film does this great. In addition to this, they also have musical numbers. They have hilarious songs such as "Kyle's Moms a Bitch" and "Blame Canada". The cussing is off the charts and there is some clever writing.

However, the film goes on for too long and has trouble filling up the time. It, surprisingly, gets old after a while. I probably would've liked it more if this was a 2 episode thing. I was actually getting bored watching it at points! There's all these cuss words, offensive jokes, racist jokes, and everything in the book and yet it got pretty old. This has happened with other TV shows jumping to the big screen. The problem is that it doesn't know how to sustain the laughs and plot throughout the movie. Yes, it's daring that they poked fun at a lot of things at the time, but that doesn't always make it entertaining enough.

I love South Park and have watched every episode and catch the reruns often, but this movie isn't one I'd watch more than a couple of times. As I said in the beginning, it is like a "just ok" episode stretched into an 80 minute long film.

I recommend a watch just to see the satire and some of the jokes, but I, as a die-hard fan of South Park, will understand if you don't like this film.
August 29, 2015
very funny. the soundtrack is great