Southlander: Diary of a Desperate Musician - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Southlander: Diary of a Desperate Musician Reviews

½ November 16, 2016
here's the formula 4 here: original 'repo man' + 'pulp fiction'= this one
½ May 28, 2016
it was my second feature film
April 10, 2012
funny film for people with good taste in music and film
March 29, 2012
its not my debut feature, i made one before this
June 27, 2010
It's not much to look at cinematically or technically speaking, but the storyline and shot styles are actually pretty solid. The film looks like it was shot on a cheap DV camcorder, but what is on screen isn't bad. If you're a fan of the LA indie music scene, you'll definitely appreciate it more than others will, so it's not for everyone. There are some random moments, but that's an indie film for you; although pretty much every element in the film progresses the story along. If a better camera were used and it was lit better, it would actually be a really impressive film. All in all, a really fun film.
May 10, 2010
This is another one of my impulse buys. I got it on the internet. It was released...I don't even know when. October 2003, maybe? Anyway, it's not a very good movie. It's quirky but the storyline drags a bit in the middle. Beth Orton is beautiful and enchanting but she's in the movie for only a few minutes. Really the only reason I got the movie is because Beck is in it. Anyone who has seen him live knows that he is funny, satirical...I dunno. But he does a GREAT job playing an early-mid-nineties Beck. He's hilarious. Anyway, not too great but funny. Some familiar faces are in it too. Laura Prepon (of [i]That 70's Show[/i]) the guy who played Freddy "Boom-Boom" Washington on [i]Welcome Back Kotter[/i] and the crazy guy who stole Cameron's car in [i]Ferris Bueller's Day Off[/i]. If you see it in the video store and can't decide on anything, pick it up...If you're a big Beck fan...and don't blame me if you don't like it.

Giant Robot factor: 10
familiar faces factor: 9
Hank Williams III factor: 10-4
January 23, 2010
holy molely , its about me, elliotts mith , beck, and Laura prepon.....geesiss
September 23, 2008
Yeah, so this was pretty terrible, but there's more than a few surprises, which makes watching, and even owning it completely worth it :) Then again, I know I'm incredibly biased, but what can I say?

Oh, and it was random enough to remain entertaining throughout, which also works in its favor.
½ July 21, 2008
I really really wanted to like this movie, but I don't think I was able to give it the attention it needed. The cameos and soundtrack are very fun. Some of the acting is good, and there are some smart moments. All of this made it more painful when it failed to reach the level it could have.
July 6, 2008
This movie is so awesome! If you like extremely bizarre movies, and you are a musician or music lover this will make you happy. For some reason they show Beck as the fist actor listed, but he only plays a small part. Has an interesting cast though, I love Rory Cochrane.
March 30, 2008
Since Flixster doesn't recognize Steve Hanft's other full-length, Kill the Moonlight, as being a bona fide movie, I'd like to use this space to give it five stars, too.
½ March 24, 2008
This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.
January 25, 2008
So, if I were on acid or something, this might have been more entertaining. Kind of a poor man's Dude Where's My Car... with some off beat celebrities in the mix. I didn't watch it for Elliott Smith like everyone else seemed to have... I watched it for Hank III.
September 24, 2007
A CLASSIC. This film is, by far, the most hilarious movie i have ever seen. Everything about it is polished down to a smooth, sparking shine (as polished as a super-low budget film can get anyway) and the acting is out of this world. The actors manage to convincingly pull off the surreal nature of the typical musician (particularly those found in L.A.) in their self-effacing roles and the comedy is right up my alley. Ross Harris' character is the show-stealer, while Rory Cochrane affects the psuedo-noir tone quite well in his voyage through beigeland and the Valley. The film itself is replete with indie-rock cameos (Elliot Smith himself is even in this film) and old-school actors (Lawrence Hilton Jacobs III who is BRILLIANT). For a film made on a shoe-string budget by a guy spending his last week at his film job, it does amazingly well. This is certainly better than half the crap that Hollywood spews out day after day.
August 26, 2007
I, like everyone else, checked this out for the Elliott Smith cameo. It's charmingly cheaply done, and has some very fun moments.
July 12, 2007
crazy wicked awsome ......i want keys like that!
½ June 11, 2007
This is a terrible movie but appeals to me on a strong personal level.
½ June 10, 2007
If you like Rory Cochrane, this movie is worth watching. The first 40 minutes are excrutiatingly dull, and it takes some work to get over the fact that the production quality is horrible. -But it's totally worth it, because about half-way through the movie, Beck shows up and makes it all worth while...that's when all the cool stuff starts to happen. Although the movie is really shitty, they still managed to include a car-chase and a sex scene in. The acting is acctually pretty good. The reason why I liked this movie so much, is that it gets really creative and silly/funny/ridiculous. Just give it a chance.
½ June 1, 2007
It was pretty darn awful. The film quality was way low and it looked like a bunch of stoners just one day got together and said "hey guys, lets take bills camera and film us pretending to be looking for a keyboard..." absolutely, histarically awful. The only good part that redeems this piece of shit is Beck. w00t.
½ April 12, 2007
hell yes best movie ever