SpaceCamp (Space Camp) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

SpaceCamp (Space Camp) Reviews

½ December 4, 2012
Cute robot launches five youngsters from Space Camp along with their instructor into orbit. Thankfully none of the numerous mistakes in the simulator were repeated in the real world, although I never really was cheering for this crew to return to Earth.
November 8, 2012
Cheesy yet fun movie that made every one of us who watched it as a kid want to be astronauts.
½ October 29, 2012
Actually not all that bad. Good family film and good for when you don't know for sure what you want to see.
October 29, 2012
I thought this movie pretty good. It was entertaining, filled with drama and there is a lot of good information about space presented in the film.

Space Camp is about a group of kids who come to a camp at the N.A.S.A. headquarters to learn all about space. Each of the kids is assigned a position in the space shuttle by an astronaut named Andie. When the group goes with Andie to the space shuttle for a simulation, they accidentally get launched up into space, and they have to figure out how to get back home before they run out of oxygen.

Andie (Kate Capshaw) is a famous astronaut who teaches the kids about operating the space shuttle. She is an encouraging and helpful teacher who pushes each one of them to work to the best of their ability. Kathryn (Lea Thompson) is one of the kids attending the space camp. She is very smart and knows a lot about space. She is assigned the position of the pilot and she is expected to do everything right.

Tish (Kelly Preston) is another teenage girl at the space camp. She is friendly, pretty, girly, and actually smarter then she acts. Rudy (Larry B. Scott) is an older camper who loves science, but he thinks he is terrible at it. He is nice, funny, and very friendly. He ends up studying very hard and becomes a really good scientist.

Max (Joaquin Phoenix) is the youngest kid in the group and he actually wasnâ(TM)t even supposed to be in the camp because of his age. All he ever wanted to do in life is go up in space. When the group gets introduced to a space robot named Jinx, Max steals him and forms a close friendship with it. And lastly, Kevin (Tate Donovan) is a bad teenage boy who doesnâ(TM)t care about space camp at all. He doesnâ(TM)t even want to be there, but he has no choice.

What is not that great in Space Camp are the special effects and animation. When the characters go up into space, it almost looks like they are a cut-out picture. Nothing looks very realistic to me at all. I know that technology has come a long way since 1986, so that is why these things donâ(TM)t look that professional.

What is good in the movie is the humor. The jokes are funny and easy to understand. The characters are also a good part of the movie. You really get to know them and enjoy their performances.

This movie is rated PG, but it does have some bad language in it and some pretty intense scenes. Because of this, I think this movie would only be good for kids who are 10 years old up until 14 years. Since this is a classic movie, the family may enjoy sitting down and watching it together. I am giving Space Camp a 3 out of 5 stars. My overall impression is that it is worth a look.
Reviewed by Talila R, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic.
October 27, 2012
Junior astronauts are sent to outer space in a simulated test error. The teen astronaut hopefuls appear more competent than some NASA veterans. Liked Lea Thompson here but could have done without the preteen Star Wars fan and Jinx the robot.
September 28, 2012
great when I was a kid
½ September 24, 2012
Accidents do happen in the workplace!
½ June 22, 2012
Wow I Never thought a movie could make my I.Q. drop and spawn hatred for all space programs lol, this is a lame ass movie not for any family. First off its piss poorly acted lol Kate Kapshaw will claim responsibility since well she is a hack. Second this movie is incredibly dull serious as a kid I wouldn't have the attention span for this slowly paced boringly acted movie & I was seven when i seen this shit flipper. Third is the movie itself and situations which occur are beyond believable even for fiction...
June 13, 2012
Super cheesy nostalgia!
May 23, 2012
Still a lot of fun all those years later`)
May 17, 2012
Another one I watched a lot growing up
April 21, 2012
This movie is quite generic, bland in some ways, not very well made as far as the overall quality goes and I absolutely love it. This may just be because I love every space movie I come across but SpaceCamp is up on the list for me despite being a little cheezy.

This movie got critisized quite badly when it was released but not so much because it was bad. It just had a bad timing. Unfortunately, when the movie was supposed to be released, the space shuttle disaster happened. The movie was postponed, but still, it was too soon and people simply didn't like to be reminded about this tragedy. This would be the reason why it's not a very nice memory for some people.

Many elements of this movie were done very well. It does give you some insight on how some of the space equipment works and what it takes to be an astronaut. If you have any interest in this kind of stuff, you will at least like the movie for that.

The characters differ from each other which makes some scenes interesting. Unfortunately, the story didn't take advantage of that very much. At the end of the day, it's just a bunch of kids accidentaly launched into space whose issues are resolved because of the near death experience. We've seen that already in many other movies about kids. Really, watching this or any other generic family movie is the same experience. The only thing that's different is the setting.

To sum up, this movie is not for everyone. If you're just looking for a good 80's movie, watch something else. If you like space movies though, this is a must for you. It may not be Star Wars but still, in my opinion, you can't call yourself a spacekid, if you haven't seen this movie.
April 12, 2012
I love this movie! I must have been like 10 or 11 when I first saw it and it made me want to go to space camp!
½ February 22, 2012
This was way better when I was younger.
½ February 18, 2012
Watched this one as a kid, but I just can't get past the way-over-the-top plot.
February 17, 2012
I saw it a long time ago.
January 23, 2012
I saw 'Space Camp' only once about 15 years ago, back in the day when my original dream was to become an astronaut who would one day fly in space, and I thought watching it would get me into a real space camp. So what do I remember about this movie? Well, a group of teenagers and their instructor fly in a space shuttle to space, and that's all I can remember. After seeing it I would still hold on to my astronaut dream until two years later, when I chose to do science fiction (which would mean watching space travel in movies) instead of science fact (which would mean experiencing space travel in real life). I only saw 'Space Camp' once; if I were to make a second viewing, then I'll see how much I remember the movie's summarizing plot.
December 19, 2011
Sadly, not as much fun as I'd remembered.
½ December 16, 2011

A fun slice of unrealistic cheese.
December 4, 2011
i remember watching this movie in school i thought it was very good