Space Mutiny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Space Mutiny Reviews

December 3, 2016
A bad but entertaining-as-fuck! Watch the MST3K episode, its easily one of their best!!
September 22, 2016
Look closely, and you can see the exterior shots of the spaceship are actually just stolen frame for frame from the original Battlestar Galactica show. Predictable but meandering plot (with transparently pro-apartheid overtones), but filmed so ineptly that it's fun to watch, more fun to heckle.
½ September 3, 2016
SPACE MUTINY is an atrocious, horrendously dated rip-off of many sci-fi films from its time- particularly STAR TREK and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA- which all of its special effects footage was lifted from. God almighty. This appallingly acted, atrociously made mess deserves no sympathy from anyone and is only good for being mocked on MST3K-type shows.
March 22, 2016
This is a very fun movie to watch. I have watched it a dozen or so times. I will laugh so many times and enjoy the sexy women so much.
½ October 21, 2015
best consumed with AMPLE amounts of MST3K riffing, otherwise... there is not much to say... nice to see there was someone capable of using stolen footage off of Battlestar Galactica, a scifi series that totally would never resurface again... xD
June 25, 2014
Space Mutiny is so bumbling and terrible that one would be hard-pressed not to fall asleep on it, and I did the very first time I saw it. Not even the presence of John Phillip Law could save this piece of 1980's sci-fi garbage. Thankfully, the crew of Mystery Science Theater 3000 makes it memorable, and nothing else. It has all the appeal of a dingy and smelly mattress floating on a pile of sewage, and even then that's giving it too much credit. It's only entertainment value is its unintentional comedy, but you have to be really dedicated to get through it as it's spotty and doesn't come all at once. If you're going to see this, I recommend seeing the MST3K version only. That's about the only way one can sit through it.
May 16, 2014
Not really a fair rating, since I only saw this movie through the Mystery Science Theater episode so what I saw was edited. I was also predisposed to think of it as a bad movie because of the association. Even still, fairly painful.
½ September 2, 2013
My god this movie is bad. Gets the two and a half stars due to the job that MST3K did to it.
July 11, 2013
Oh, my goodness, this movie is hilariously bad. The costumes are as 80-rific as they are stupid. The men wear full, silver outifts that seem to be made out of the linings of thermal shopping bags (seems at least somewhat practical) while the women wear blue one-piece bathing suits (not practical, at all). A villainous man wants to throw a mutiny on board the space ship that they have lived on for many years. This bad egg contains, terrible dancing involving hula-hoops, buggy chase scenes that stretch into eternity, terribly uninspired writing and probably one of the most awkward and uncomfortable seduction scenes ever committed to film. Also look out for the guy with the cane, who doesn't even attempt to make it look like he's leaning on it or walking with a limp.

Again, this might be a good film to watch with the Mystery Science Theater guys.

Overall: Pretty watchable for the badness. From a technical standpoint, it would be a one, but this movie made me laugh quite often.
May 16, 2013
I think the term here is "awesomely bad" as it is truly terrible but so so wonderful
½ March 5, 2013
Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away is a generational star ship full of frustrated muscle bound, and face, men with seedy intentions and stupid, stupid acting. Since the spaceship is a generational one, it usually means that you're born and you die on that ship while never be setting foot on a planet. I guess Mars, Pluto, Venus, Mercury, Neptune, Jupiter, Uranus and Saturn were not of any interest to them. They're obviously from Earth. There is one thing that this movie DOES answer and that's the age old question of there being other planets out there. In this film the answer is no. There is no other planets.

Since being on this spaceship really sucks, a certain dude is looking to conspire against the ship's captain (who looks like Santa Claus) and get off this ship thanks to the wiccan pirates that have come aboard. These sexy females who use their minds to speak their words that don't come out of their mouths somehow help the evil dude to distract the Captain along with every one else on the ship while he changes the course of the ship to a certain galactic system that may have an actual planet on it. He's doing it for a good cause even though he's going about it in a really wrong way. Kind of like a hostage situation except if you hold your own family hostage just because you want to go to Disney World only to find out that your family was planning on a trip to Disney World anyway. (Shrugs)

Serves well for an action packed adventure in space even though it would be perfect for the Homoerotic Sci/Fi genre. All the men, including the hero played by Reb Brown, are your typical 80s douchebags. They're the types you'd expect to be beating off to the movie Road House while getting a sun tan. There are women in the film though. You do get the wiccan women pirates who just keep doing the wiccan work-out of moving around and waving their arms as if worshipping the everlasting gobstopper. The actors involved give the wonderful script the stilted dialogue it truly deserved. The production values are seriously warehouse worthy and in one big chase scene involving Enforcer vehicles you could easily make out the craftmanship of what they're driving in: bowling-alley floor polishers. They do give off mighty explosions when crashed into other "Enforcer vehicles".

One of the worst sci/fi films to ever come out of South Africa since Invictus. (Please note: Invictus isn't a sci/fi film, but I will say I would rather watch THIS film instead of THAT film. Like it matters. I know. But just sending it out there. Brought to you by Nuts...Peanuts. That is all.)
½ February 20, 2013
It's a good thing I saw this through Mystery Science Theater 3000, or I never would have made it.
January 7, 2013
Combine low-speed chases with about 18 deaths involving being thrown off a railing, throw in horrible acting, and you've got yourself a real piece of crap. Or Space Mutiny.
February 23, 2011
An excellent example of "so bad its good". Just a ridiculously bad movie, from the sets to the acting (if you can call it that).
January 25, 2011
Bad and almost funny, but not quite.
January 24, 2011
Ahh the future. Where women dress in single piece bathing suits. Where Apple II computers are back on the market and in high demand. Where CG images have reverted back to a Pong look. Where Russian bailarinas are telepathic aliens. And where acting and storyline are irrelevant.
January 5, 2011
A hysterically bad late-80s space opera made on the ultra-cheap in South Africa, featuring a blonde, screaming Reb Brown in a shiny silver jumpsuit racing around an empty factory that is meant to double as the interior of a space ship. Almost everything about it is abysmal, from the lunkheaded script to lackluster editing to the painfully slow chase scenes to the flat, blank non-acting of the amateur cast. Hilarious stuff.
½ December 26, 2010
The sheer fact that they were taking this seriously coupled with the fails in almost every category make for one the worst movies in existance. However, you will be smiling/laughing from beginning to end with Slab Bulkhead screaming like a woman, Captain Santa failing miserably, and Cisse Cameron being about the same age as the hero...
½ December 18, 2010
MST3K! Big McLarge Huge!
½ September 16, 2010
A tacitly pro Apartheid film and the the only science fiction film that takes the side of oppression. Did I mention it sucks too? Can only be enjoyed with Mike, Crow, and Tom.