Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone Reviews

May 22, 2012
This surfaced one night on one of the new, digital television channels now on offer in my country. Digital television seems to be filled with many long forgotten movies. I'll warrant that even insomniacs and channel surfing shift workers will have found this film boring. On another topic, did the titular character borrow his car from the set of Mad Max 2?
January 29, 2012
In the 22nd century, an ex-mercenary meets up with a loner girl and they set out to rescue three space maidens from the ruler of a planet who happens to be a murderous cyborg.

There was a glut of low budget SF and fantasy movies made during the 80's and luckily 'Spacehunter' is one of the slightly better entries. Even though it doesn't have a particularly strong story and you are left feeling that a lot was either cut out or just never shot, it still is a fun movie to watch. The acting is competent and Michael Ironside is suitable over the top as the villain even though he gets very little screen time. The special effects are a bit hokey by today's standards, and were designed for then 'brand new' 3D technology. The gore is non-existent, but there is some good make-up effects to keep you going. As I have said before, the story is a bit slow at the beginning and is over just as you feel it is getting started, but is entertaining and feels a little more adult than some of it's competitors of the time. On a personal level, I find it quite silly when movies create their own languages, and this is no exception, but I am willing to forgive it, as this is one of those movies that I grew up with, and it brings back some very nice memories.
October 18, 2011
This movies is truly all 80's action....I liked it...I was young when I saw it so it amazed me for a moment or too...................
½ July 1, 2011
To keep it basic, this film is simply fun. Sure, the performances aren't very good, and the plot is dull and quite uninteresting, but it was still a fun movie to watch. Recommended.
½ June 30, 2011
Cheesy '80s Sci-Fi. Many in this genre are rubbish and not worth it. This was quite enjoyable, despite the ratings others are giving it. It had combinations of many other Sci-Fi movies from that era, mostly before other more popular movies did it. Worth it? YES
May 16, 2011
old things should die grasfuly
April 17, 2011
Very easily mocked but if people just looked a little deeper they would realize that this movie is not even slightly supposed to be serious and is in fact a really entertaining and cool movie. The effects are wonderful and makes me very nostalgic. I would recommend this to anybody with a good sense of humor and a love of retro 80's sci-fi.
April 5, 2011
Admittedly pretty bad but nevertheless a lot of fun, Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone is a star wars rip-off, in which a Han Solo-esque hero goes to strange planet to save 3 women. Along the way he encounters mutants, monsters, and a villain who looks a lot like Pinhead without the pins. The set pieces, acting, and dialogue are all pretty tacky but this movie isn't meant to be taken seriously; all it aspires to be is an enjoyable 90 minute distraction and that's exactly what it is.
February 20, 2011
Having missed the opportunity to watch this when it was released on video in the 80's, I finally had the chance the see it recently. This movie is campy to say the very least. The only way to describe it, it has that Mad Max feel to it, just not as well done as the Mad Max movies. A lot of the movie is plain nonsense but in a good way. Peter Strauss makes a likeable rogue, obviously straight from the Han Solo mould, and Molly Ringwald is her usual early 80's cutie. The special effects are fair for the time (though the title sequence leaves something to be desired). Michael Ironside is almost unrecogniseable underneath prosthetics, but offers a great performance, hampered only by his lack of mobility in costume. I was especially surprised to recognise Ernie Hudson as a supporting character, playing Strauss' ex-buddy. If you like sci-fi B movies, then you'll be able to appreciate this one....just don't expect too much from it...that way you won't be disappointed.
February 20, 2011
½ February 6, 2011
SPACEHUNTER: ADVENTURES IN THE FORBIDDEN ZONE (1983)
½ January 30, 2011
Still dumb fun, wish the 3D version were available without Japanese hardsubs.
January 13, 2011
If you're a big fan of either Molly Ringwald or 80s sci-fi movies in general, I highly recommend this movie. I loved it, it has a good story, good actors, and it's fun. Of course it isn't one of the best sci-fi movies of the 80s, but I love it anyway.
January 2, 2011
Piter Straus, Moli Ringvold i Majkl Ajronsajd u necem nalik na Mad Maxa, samo u svemiru. Nista spektakularno, ali ja sam jednostavno sucker za sve sto potice iz osamdesetih, tako da mi je i ovaj film bio prijatan i simpatican.
October 24, 2010
Actually not as bad as I remember. It's pretty cheesy, but Peter Strauss, Molly Ringwald and Ernie Hudson all give affable performances and no one seems to take this 3D film all that seriously. And Michael Ironside does his usual over-the-top good job as the bizarre villain of the film. Good corny sci-fi fun from the 80s.
October 19, 2010
As a 7 year old i used to watch this again and again on VHS, and after 20 years i still enjoyed it ! sure it's cheesy as hell with fall apart sets and Peter Strauss is just a Han Solo wanna-be, and a young Molly Ringwald whinges her way through the flick. Michael Ironside's "Overdog" still is a creepy.
½ October 5, 2010
This was pretty cool. Great musical score, like the genre. Didn't like the badly dressed woman or the swearing, although it was little, some blasphemy. Some creepy and weird scenes, some comedic relief to. It's alright.
August 29, 2010
Out of all the 3-D science fiction pictures that came out in the early 80's, the long-winded Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone was one of the most popular. Does that make it good? Well no, but it does beat out a lot of the others (most notably Metalstorm) thanks to a solid cast and better productions values making for a somewhat fun, cornball science fiction ride.

Peter Straus plays our title character and as you can tell from the long subtitle that he goes on an adventure into a Forbidden Zone. Well you see three beautiful women crash-land on an E type planet (E, as in Early-type.....oh jeez) that's full of road warrior type clans and cannibals. Strauss is an "adventurer" for hire so he is hired to rescue the girls before the evil ruler Overlord (Michael Ironside) has his way with the girls. So Spacehunter and his android roam the planet in their futuristic vehicle and with the help of an annoying young girl (Molly Ringwald), they try to beat his competition (Ernie Hudson) to rescue the captive girls. Along the way they run into all sorts of weird situations they have to escape from, including a water race of super women and some monstrous fat humanoids.

A majority of the film is standard space adventure material and fans of this type of science fiction have seen these type of films before, most likely better. My main beef with the picture is our lead hero. He's supposed to be a loner, anti-hero but Peter Strauss's performance and how he is written makes the character rather boring. He is just a very blah, uninteresting hero. Molly Ringwald's character is annoying as ever but is the way the character is written so she does an adequate job in her first major role.

For a film that was filmed in 3D, it actually surprisingly lacked the "comin' at you" shots of shit flying at the camera. It also doesn't have that dull, washed look that many 3D films at the time get when getting a home video release in flat 2D format, which is good. I'm sure people at the time were disappointed as it lacked all the 3D gimmickry of shit coming at the camera but it makes it transfer to the 2D format much nicer without all those shots. I did get a chuckle at the 3D title sequence when the name Spacehunter breaks trough a piece of steel jetting out into the camera. The part that made me chuckle is when the subtitle jets out, it's so small and long that it's almost unreadable. The subtitle is too long fellows and not mention pointless! Newer DVD and VHS releases even did away with the subtitle on the box artwork, showing how pointless it is. It's like they added it as if they were intending on making a sequel. Much like Metalstorm, a sequel never got made and I doubt anyone will be crying over that fact.

Spacehunter has enough cornball sequences to please fans of cheesy science fiction adventures, but everyone else will find it forgettable. I would have enjoyed it more if our anti-hero was more interesting. He's just a bore! Thank God all the wacky situations they get in introducing much more interesting side characters.
August 15, 2010
With a small known cast of Ernie Hudson, Molly Ringwald and a well hidden Michael Ironside this sci-fi film starts off nicely with pretty good looking spaceships, land transports, costumes and a quirky neat feel that reminds you of 'The Ice Pirates' and a gentle 'Mad Max 3'. Unfortunatley the film starts to slide badly from the midway point and loses its reasonable sensible side to become a silly and tacky...almost barbarian type film with amazonian women and dragon type water creatures to a stupid looking evil villian that Clive Barker may have stolen for the Channard Cenobite idea in 'Hellraiser 2' .
June 26, 2010
I have not seen any part of this movie since seeing it in 3d in the theater. I remember knowing that it was a horrible piece of junk, but really liking it at the same time. Ringwald really went for the whiny annoying thing here, full throttle. The vehicles look really sculpted and amazing. At a time most movies were still ripping off alien/roadwarrior/starwars this one showed some budget in the non plywood flimsiness of the props. The kids with the Molotov still freek me out a bit. Also, Andrea Marcovicci in just a shirt - whoa. Ironside really outdoes himself here making OVerdog pretty mean. I also really like the slang that is smattered through the dialogue -