Spanglish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spanglish Reviews

½ November 18, 2015
In one word : Meh , now don't get me wrong , Sandler's performance had nothing to do with it , it is just how the movie was made, how the mother of a young girl became her role model after ruining her chance to get an easier life in the name of remaining true to her culture.
The movie is a bit everywhere , you start off by familiarizing yourself with a certain characters then you forget about them because they are no longer relevant to the story and in the middle of the movie , they add characters, the only good one other than Sandler'ss was played by Leachman. Spanglish was no disaster but it wasn't a movie I would watch again.
½ October 17, 2015
The horrible acting of Paz Vega, who believes she is in some kind of latin soap opera, ruins the whole movie. It is disgusting to see a person who can't act in the central role of a movie. She left a bad image to latin actress who could make a better job with her role. By the way, she is not even mexican. Couldn't the producers find a mexican actress to perform a mexican inmigrant woman?
October 7, 2015
I have recently watched Spanglish. I thought the performances by Adam Sandler, was great while he let Paz Vega shine. The dynamic in the movie were excellent and understandable, easy to follow. The wife Leoni, you could have went with a different actress. No chemistry there at all! While the chemistry between Adam Sandler and Paz Vega could be seen and felt through the screen.
½ September 26, 2015
Charming, well written, well acted, a good movie all-around. Tea Leoni plays the woman nobody ever likes in these sorts of movies, but even then, she has a scene where you are compelled to at least feel for her character as she shares with her quirky mother her sins, then has a typical teenage meltdown which cements what we already knew. She's one of "those" women. Brilliant scene. Adam Sandler embraces his character, a chef that is on the cusp of fame, yet is a chef's chef, and just wants to serve good food in a good restaurant. Cloris Leachman is careful to not overdo her mother-in-law with a drinking problem character, and becomes one of the many characters in this movie you will love. Best part? "Whatever you do, don't throw the ball. Never throw the ball."
All this is a gentle overtone that helps you take your medicine. Beautiful, loving medicine that is the focal point of this movie. An immigrant mother, raising a daughter on her own, with the added pressure of that daughter being well-adjusted to American life and it's language, and seduced by the wonderful lifestyle of John and Deborah Clasky. You cheer for John's success, jeer for Deborah's sins, and become quite melancholy for the eventual tone of reality. Surprising choice by James Brooks to have Sandler be the lead male character, but it worked.
½ September 20, 2015
Is Teá Leoni playing a bipolar character - I need to know.
Ok.
This idea is clear to me, but all my research online has produced nothing if not silence.
Back to a review.
Overall, it's an extended sitcom formal with a pool of odd characters, including Adam Sandler playing Ray Romano-lite and Teá Leone playing a very difficult, flawed personality -with possible mental illness - which the other characters seem to simply act around and ignore/ tolerate without comment.
I'm completely baffled by this since I see the signs of possible mental illness, but without it's being addressed in any way.
And she's rather brilliant at it too - consistent, edgy, perplexed herself by her own reaction - a perfect candidate for the problems of someone with bipolar disorder. This could have easily been a film to deal on some level with this - see Silver Linings Playbook's dvd featurette with Director David O. Russell talking about the nuances of a bipolar personality played by Bradley Cooper, and the incredible conversation started bc of that brilliant and hilarious movie.
Ok.
Back to Spanglish -
an otherwise slight movie, a tv version of
Imitation of Life without all the overcooked drama. The maid's daughter wants to leave her hardworking mom's legacy for the seemingly better life of her mom's employer.
Outside of my Jones-ing about the unacknowledged bipolar mom character, this is an ok movie with slight hints of its soapy predecessor.
Not that memorable, outside of the moms.
That is all.

2.5 out of 5 sitcom family meetings
½ September 15, 2015
Cloris Leachman is the only watchable thing in this entire film. Everything else is overacted, forced and just painful to watch at times.
½ September 7, 2015
One of my top ten fave movies - mostly due to the beautiful relationship between Paz and her daughter. I absolutely love this movie.
September 1, 2015
Saw this movie several times, loved it! I could appreciate the language problems, as I have lived in foreign lands and encountered similar confusion.
½ August 12, 2015
Paz Vega sobresale, buena historia
August 8, 2015
It was an amazing Comedy drama I just wish that Adam and that girl got married that should of been the best ending ever but other then that the movie was amazing it should be in the 80s for rotten tomatoes
½ August 6, 2015
More like anguish for the viewer
½ July 12, 2015
worst movie.....i don't understand why the call it comedy movie....
June 17, 2015
This movie is def in my top 10. Every actor has a perfectly fitting character and the plot is smart. I love the relationship it shows between mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, siblings, language and barriers, upper class and poorer class---and the overall message of a mother chosing family and future for her daughter istead of being selfish--LOVE it
June 9, 2015
Very well acted. I would like to see more performances like this from Sandler - much more textured than anything else he's done. Some of my friends do not like the bittersweet ending - I'm not sure the story sets up expectations well enough. The director is trying to do something different with the romance genre. But the tone of the romance and comedy are very well done.
½ April 15, 2015
This movie is so bad it's bad. I didn't get it, probably because I only watched a quarter of it. I generally like stupid Adam Sandler movies, but this one -- no way, Jose.
April 12, 2015
Good sunday film. Paz Vega is a treat to watch!
½ March 7, 2015
A very intriguing story- interesting how they set it up as a story told by the child, they set up an expected Hollywood romance of some sort, then went in a different direction. By getting the viewer caught up in the typical Hollywood romance, then switching back to the original story they framed earlier, it's deeper than most thought. It's a really good film as long as you're expecting it to be a comedy. They through in comic relief, but not that much more.
February 23, 2015
Super boring. Incredibly boring.
½ February 17, 2015
This movie is supposed to be a comedy but at times it seems to be more of a drama. There are very few laughs. The dilemma in the movie could've been made interesting, but it just wasn't. The movie had its good moments but it had the same amount of bad moments.