Sparrows Reviews

• Apr 23, 2020

I would recommend this film to anyone interested in silent films. This may be Mary Pickford's finest performance of her career.

• May 08, 2019

The best inspiring movie ever made! With the best movie character ever portrayed: Mary Pickford as Molly!

• Aug 24, 2016

Sparrows has a decidedly weak characterization of the kids, but the plot is interesting, the film has a lot of heart, the acting as well as the directing are pretty good, the suspenseful sequences are so well executed and the movie is so well filmed with the swamp being gorgeous to look at.

• Aug 25, 2014

one of the BEST silents,and a great movie of ALL time !

one of the BEST silents,and a great movie of ALL time !

• May 17, 2014

gr8 cast makes this go

gr8 cast makes this go

• Panta O Super Reviewer
    Jan 29, 2014

This almost perfect silent film about a young woman who rescues a baby from kidnappers directed by William Beaudine and Tom McNamara which name was uncredited, was originally titled Scraps. The story was written by Winifred Dunn, adaptation was done by C. Gardner Sullivan and titles by George Marion Jr. (yes, they needed them, it was a silent movie). It starred and was produced by Mary Pickford. All I can say is - amazing woman! The story of Mr. Grimes and his wife who operate a dismal "baby farm" near an alligator-infested swamp has Molly, an adolescent inmate and the oldest of their charges. She attempts to provide the other tattered, starving kids with the loving maternal care they need. Most of the children are orphans. The children are ordered to hide anytime someone comes to the farm. Molly has promised the others that God will rescue them. When a boy asks why nothing has happened after a month, she tells him that He is busy attending to sparrows (a biblical reference)... that's enough for now... enjoy watching the movie for the rest! Mary Pickford's performance was flawless as ever in this suspense melodrama with lots of adventure elements in it. In 1925 Motion Picture Magazine wrote the following, "It was Douglas Fairbanks who told us that Mary Pickford's production of "Sparrows" was Dickensonian. And after seeing it we have nothing less and nothing more to say of it. Perhaps you know that it is the story of a baby farm . . . with Gustav von Seyffertitz as Grimes, the cruel manager . . . and Mary, as Mollie, who watches over the little boys and girls. Melodrama is interwoven in the story and there is nothing new or startling about the plot. But you won't realize this until the last lovely close-up of Mary has faded from the screen. Which means, of course, that the story interests you so much that your critical faculty is dulled. We are glad that Mary is not going to continue to play grown-ups parts. So many on the screen can be the grand lady. And no one else that we have ever heard about or seen captures the elusive and misty quality of childhood as Mary does. You'll weep a little. You'll laugh a great deal. And you'll hold your breath once or twice." Perfect description of what I just watched. Cinematography of Hal Mohr, Charles Rosher and Karl Struss will always be remembered - real masters of photography! I will recommend that you find the newly restored copy of this movie, sit down and let be amazed at Mary Pickford's skill and one of the strongest performances you'll ever see!

• Mar 24, 2013

Given the cinema technology of the time, this movie comes off as quite scary!

Given the cinema technology of the time, this movie comes off as quite scary!

• Sep 27, 2011

not to shabby silent pickford shines

not to shabby silent pickford shines

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Dec 16, 2010

A predictable end, but a truly sad dramatic story. Pickford is charmingly heroic, as well as the kids in the movie. This movie was a lot better than I expected, it's really good.

• Jul 14, 2009

This is one of Mary Pickford's best silent films, and also one of her best performances. Spooky, and touching as well, and it's unusual and fascinating piece of cinematic history. Beautifully done.