Spasmo (The Death Dealer) Reviews

• Apr 28, 2018

one of my favorite Giallo movies

one of my favorite Giallo movies

• Feb 22, 2016

Spasmodically interesting more like. Lamentable Giallo not some much directed by Umberto Lenzi as just turn on the camera and shoot. Despite the presence of an Ennio Morricone soundtrack the film is hampered by a deadly dull hour of exposition and wooden acting which means by the time we get to the climax your so bored you just want ANYTHING to happen which will wake you from your torpor. I am a huge fan of giallo films but this one is a serious disappointment.

• Aug 10, 2014

Fun, bizarre, and surprisingly restrained giallo from Lenzi

Fun, bizarre, and surprisingly restrained giallo from Lenzi

• Jul 28, 2013

More Lenzi from the To-Watch Pile, and it goes into some weird-ass places with the use of bloody mannequins, but I'll be Goddamned if it all doesn't *sort of* make sense by the end of the film. Color me fucking surprised. Well worth a rental.

• Jul 04, 2013

DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER. This movie's cover poster looks so bad I'm suprised that anyone would want to watch Spasmo. The movie is great! John Carpenter must have seen this movie back when it came out because it has a lot of' Halloween' in it.

• Feb 26, 2011

Another great movie from Umberto Lenzi. The director of Cannibal Ferox.

Another great movie from Umberto Lenzi. The director of Cannibal Ferox.

• Dec 16, 2010

Spasmo is a truly bizarre, surrealistic, and mind-bending giallo from one of Italy's masters of low-budget and often rip-off, cult horror, Umberto Lenzi: Black Demons, Make Them Die Slowly, etc.In Spasmo, Lenzi crafts a thriller built upon shizocphrenic delusion. What is real and fantasy slides into one another time and time again as characters shift, plots becomes murky, time repeats itself, and deceptions unfold. Just as mannequins become simulacra of actual murders, so does perception itself become suspect as the film unfolds. Ultimately, Spasmo represents a truly original entry in the giallo canon because of its shifting layers of reality and its constant deferral of truth.

• Nov 30, 2010

A convoluted plot to the extreme really holds back this Giallo from Italian Maestro Umberto Lenzi. As anyone who is familiar with giallo's know that the plot is usually a complicated thing. But this one goes off the deep end with it. Its too bad because the strong performances from Ivan Rassimov Suzy Kendall and Robert Hoffman really made the film worth sitting through. And not to mention this isnt your everyday black gloved killer giallo. Spasmo is more introverted with the main characters psche. Spasmo is a long desent into madness, its just too bad that as a veiwer we go there too.

• May 12, 2010

Another GREAT giallo from Lenzi....not as good as "EYEBALL" but still a great flick!

• Oct 17, 2009

Decent but not what i would expect from a really good giallo. Still it was enjoyable and some good performances and invetive work from Lenzi. Well worth a view.