Spawn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spawn Reviews

½ December 6, 2017
The only thing that amazes me in this film, is how no one in the SFX team thought "We should probably change the effects a lot".
November 5, 2017
Spawn is awesome. It is better than most fantasy horror today. The concepts of evil from 1997 are playing out right now. The 18% that Spawn is getting on this website has me suspicious. It seems cricked and corrupt. This movie is is clever, well read, informed, and is a cult classic. Don't believe the low ratings on this site, Spawn kicks ass.
½ October 13, 2017
Spawn was possibly one of the biggest comic book characters to come from the 80s and 90s. Creator Todd McFarlane (who previously was an artist on Spider-Man for Marvel) wanted to put the character out on about every form of media you can imagine, such as action figures, video games, etc.

In 1997, there were two adaptations of Spawn, one was an excellent animated series that aired on HBO, and the other was the live-action movie, which was rather mediocre.

The film does at least follow the basic premise of the comics, but one of the biggest flaws that cripples the movie is the watered down tone. The movie was created to appeal to the young Spawn fanbase at the time, but seeing that the comics dealt with an assassin returning from Hell, the movie should have been a hard R attempt.

The writing itself is pretty scattershot, and not all that great, despite promising concepts that mostly originate from the comics themselves. The plot is also a simple revenge fantasy film a la The Crow, but not as good.

Michael Jai White is alright as Al Simmons/Spawn. He has given far better performances later on in his career, but he is an ideal casting choice for the character, though he doesn't get much to do beyond grimacing throughout most of the movie.

The actor who steals the show is John Leguizamo as Clown/Violator. He's appropriately vulgar with a grotesque sense of humor, much like his comic book counterpart.

The rest of the cast is pretty forgettable due to the thin characterizations. The worst being Martin Sheen as Jason Wynn, who portrays the character as a rather dumb one-dimensional villain.

On a spectacle level, the movie is also very middle of the road. The visuals vary greatly in quality. You have some excellent makeup and practical FX such as Spawn's costume and Violator (both when he's the clown and when he's the demon), but you also have some very awful use of CGI, such as the scenes with Malebolgia (the comics and film's depiction of The Devil) and his world.

Part of me really enjoys this film, but the other part of me feels like this could have been a much better movie. It didn't help that this movie was also released in the same era as comic book movies like Batman & Robin and Judge Dredd, which were disasters.

It's a morbid curiosity for anyone nostalgic over the character and the 90s in general, but also a film that has aged poorly and doesn't live up to the material it came from.
½ October 11, 2017
This film is a lot like the punisher films, serviceable but not a patch on the source material. The film is shot like a cheap tv movie with experimental special effects. Some of the good atmospheric shots are undone by some terrible special effects in hell and bad screenwriting. The only thing I remembered about this film was the soundtrack and I give that 5 out of 5, the director clearly has more eye for the city visuals than the overall product. There is a good film here but you would almost need to reshoot half the movie to flush it out. The plot is far from interesting and we're left with a poor Spawn adaption, hopefully the reboot runs with the idea.11-10-2017.
October 6, 2017
There isn't much of anything to like about Spawn.
September 15, 2017
I'll admit the CGI was terrible but everything else... SPOTLESS! And John Leguizamo stole the show as The Violater who I'd say is definitely one of the best live action movie villains of all time alongside both Ledger and Nicholson's Joker, DeVito's Penguin, The Emperor and Darth Vader respectively.
August 28, 2017
Spawn is a hilariously terrible movie, with hilariously bad CG, and hilariously bad performances, if you want to laugh at a really bad production, watch this movie. You won't be laughing at any of the things that were intentionally funny though.
August 16, 2017
What can you say but Todd McFarland only printed 3 million copies of the 1st edition now look and see what horrible special effects that made up this movie!
July 24, 2017
DIRECTORS CUT

This should never have been released worldwide with the end result this film is. Carrying the accolade of the first comic book film with an African American lead, it should be ultimately ashamed of how bad this actually is. The intention is clear but with one horrific script and even worse CGI this is best forgotten.
July 22, 2017
Terribly terribly flawed movie with weak direction.
½ July 17, 2017
It was a little weird. Liked the effects.
July 5, 2017
Spawn is a film I remember enjoying when I watched it at the age of six, now upon revisiting it I realize the film is a complete mess. It suffers from boring characters, inept action sequences, a plot that's a barely comprehensible mess, hammy acting, and CGI that has not aged well one bit. The sequences in hell look like a cutscene from a PS1 game. The film is just an embarrassment, and a good reminder of how far super hero films have come.
½ June 9, 2017
Definite need for a remake
June 9, 2017
waiting for the sequel
June 8, 2017
I saw this film when it was first released in the theaters. Having just watched it again literally yesterday in June 2017, I must say, it's still horrible. I dug Spawn's costume, and his cape was kind of cool. But the devil's effects looked like terrible animated internet woman raping demons. Just a terrible movie. Although I don't dig remakes, this one is overdue for a remake to do it justice.
June 6, 2017
Another misfire from the dark age of superhero movies. It has some great makeup FX, and a cool premise, but they are ultimately overshadowed by the scattershot writing, subpar acting, and terrible CGI. Definitely in need of a reboot.
½ May 7, 2017
John Leguizamo and Michael Jai White were great but the direction and writing were meh.
April 25, 2017
I fell asleep trying to watch this movie for the first time during the second time I wished I was asleep.
½ April 21, 2017
Is this movie bad? Yes. Is this movie fun? Also a huge Yes. I love this movie and I guess one can call it my guilty pleasure. I don't care it's fun 90s nonsense and I love it.