Spawn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spawn Reviews

May 24, 2018
For a 1990's film I must say it was ahead of it's time. This is one of those movies I saw as a kid as and stuck with me as one of the best movies of all time. I am a little disappointed with all these negative recent reviews. I feel as though it is being judged in today's standards and not appreciate for what it was two decades ago. It is worth watching!
½ May 16, 2018
The Acting was over the type the cgi was bad
May 11, 2018
Spawn has good makeup, the Violator-themed special effects are well-done and the actors do their best with John Leguizamo having fun playing the Clown, a crossover between the Joker and Beetlejuice. However, this superhero movie is not that good. A good majority of the CGI is hilariously bad. When I saw the guy named Malebolgia for the first time, all I could do was laugh at the poor rendering. They didn't even bother to animate his mouth moving. It just occasionally goes up and down. Spawn's cape is also textureless. Ironically, it was the hardest thing to animate in the entire movie. Spawn's costume looks pretty cool, I'll give them that much. The action isn't that exciting, the humour doesn't work and frankly, I'm surprised that Spawn didn't realize sooner that Martin Sheen is very evil. Yeah, Spawn's bad but at least it wasn't dedicated to selling toys unlike the other bad superhero movie that came out the same year.
May 1, 2018
Great movie effects etc...Violator is absolutely amazing.
½ February 15, 2018
This movie is unwatchable.
February 4, 2018
This film's biggest problem was that it was made back when the graphic's just weren't good enough to capture how awesome Spawn's abilities really are. It's 2nd biggest problem is that it tries to throw in about 4-5 movies worth of story into one movie. John Leguizamo as the Vindicator deserves an Oscar for his true to the comic portrait. The rest of the cast is ok, except for Martin Sheen who is way too over the top. As Spawn is my favorite all time Comic, this movie is disappointing.
½ February 2, 2018
Spawn was possibly one of the biggest comic book characters to come from the 80s and 90s. Creator Todd McFarlane (who previously was an artist on Spider-Man for Marvel) wanted to put the character out on about every form of media you can imagine, such as action figures, video games, etc.

In 1997, there were two adaptations of Spawn, one was an excellent animated series that aired on HBO, and the other was the live-action movie, which was rather mediocre.

The film does at least follow the basic premise of the comics, but one of the biggest flaws that cripples the movie is the watered down tone. The movie was created to appeal to the young Spawn fanbase at the time, but seeing that the comics dealt with an assassin returning from Hell, the movie should have been a hard R attempt.

The writing itself is pretty scattershot, and not all that great, despite promising concepts that mostly originate from the comics themselves. The plot is also a simple revenge fantasy film a la The Crow, but not as good.

Michael Jai White is alright as Al Simmons/Spawn. He has given far better performances later on in his career, but he is an ideal casting choice for the character, though he doesn't get much to do beyond grimacing throughout most of the movie.

The actor who steals the show is John Leguizamo as Clown/Violator. He's appropriately vulgar with a grotesque sense of humor, much like his comic book counterpart.

The rest of the cast is pretty forgettable due to the thin characterizations. The worst being Martin Sheen as Jason Wynn, who portrays the character as a rather dumb one-dimensional villain.

On a spectacle level, the movie is also very middle of the road. The visuals vary greatly in quality. You have some excellent makeup and practical FX such as Spawn's costume and Violator (both when he's the clown and when he's the demon), but you also have some very awful use of CGI, such as the scenes with Malebolgia (the comics and film's depiction of The Devil) and his world.

Part of me really enjoys this film, but the other part of me feels like this could have been a much better movie. It didn't help that this movie was also released in the same era as comic book movies like Batman & Robin and Judge Dredd, which were disasters.

It's a morbid curiosity for anyone nostalgic over the character and the 90s in general, but also a film that has aged poorly and doesn't live up to the material it came from.
December 30, 2017
Dumb sequel reboot sorta movie of the terrible tv show.
½ December 6, 2017
The only thing that amazes me in this film, is how no one in the SFX team thought "We should probably change the effects a lot".
November 5, 2017
Spawn is awesome. It is better than most fantasy horror today. The concepts of evil from 1997 are playing out right now. The 18% that Spawn is getting on this website has me suspicious. It seems cricked and corrupt. This movie is is clever, well read, informed, and is a cult classic. Don't believe the low ratings on this site, Spawn kicks ass.
½ October 11, 2017
This film is a lot like the punisher films, serviceable but not a patch on the source material. The film is shot like a cheap tv movie with experimental special effects. Some of the good atmospheric shots are undone by some terrible special effects in hell and bad screenwriting. The only thing I remembered about this film was the soundtrack and I give that 5 out of 5, the director clearly has more eye for the city visuals than the overall product. There is a good film here but you would almost need to reshoot half the movie to flush it out. The plot is far from interesting and we're left with a poor Spawn adaption, hopefully the reboot runs with the idea.11-10-2017.
October 6, 2017
There isn't much of anything to like about Spawn.
September 15, 2017
I'll admit the CGI was terrible but everything else... SPOTLESS! And John Leguizamo stole the show as The Violater who I'd say is definitely one of the best live action movie villains of all time alongside both Ledger and Nicholson's Joker, DeVito's Penguin, The Emperor and Darth Vader respectively.
August 28, 2017
Spawn is a hilariously terrible movie, with hilariously bad CG, and hilariously bad performances, if you want to laugh at a really bad production, watch this movie. You won't be laughing at any of the things that were intentionally funny though.
August 16, 2017
What can you say but Todd McFarland only printed 3 million copies of the 1st edition now look and see what horrible special effects that made up this movie!
July 24, 2017
DIRECTORS CUT

This should never have been released worldwide with the end result this film is. Carrying the accolade of the first comic book film with an African American lead, it should be ultimately ashamed of how bad this actually is. The intention is clear but with one horrific script and even worse CGI this is best forgotten.
July 22, 2017
Terribly terribly flawed movie with weak direction.
½ July 17, 2017
It was a little weird. Liked the effects.
July 5, 2017
Spawn is a film I remember enjoying when I watched it at the age of six, now upon revisiting it I realize the film is a complete mess. It suffers from boring characters, inept action sequences, a plot that's a barely comprehensible mess, hammy acting, and CGI that has not aged well one bit. The sequences in hell look like a cutscene from a PS1 game. The film is just an embarrassment, and a good reminder of how far super hero films have come.
½ June 9, 2017
Definite need for a remake