Speak - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Speak Reviews

April 25, 2016
This is a great movie about depression. Kristen Stewart is amazing. Her indifference , social withdrawal shows the very essence of depression. It is slowly paced , which is perfect. She goes mute , this is her indifference , her inability to feel . She cant power through her trauma. Best thing about her act is it shows her inability . 8/10
February 18, 2016
I read the book first and it had me in tears. The movie was good but missed some big opportunities from the book.
December 4, 2015
It's a solid film, slow at times but it's well done.
½ November 16, 2015
the movie was so bad. I regret watching it.
½ September 4, 2015
There's a depth and reality to the story and Kirsten Stewart brings it to life.
½ August 25, 2015
'Speak' understands the influence other people can have on our lives, good or bad, sometimes without knowing it. Although I acknowledge that 'Speak' isn't wildly known around the community because of its confronting nature, the flashbacks are well put together in terms of their level of appearance due to triggers. However it would be nice to have an extending ending seeing as it makes the common mistake of distortion when it comes to clarity and confession. Not all problems go away once a confession is made, this movie like many in its time, fails to demonstrate this. With all that being said, it continues to be entertaining and intriguing.
July 16, 2015
A wonderful adaptation of the book with a fantastic performance by Kristen Stewart.
½ June 22, 2015
It was a pretty good movie with decent acting. Worth watching.
May 31, 2015
I didn't really understand what was going on or what it was about until last ten minutes. Probably a good film but not for me
May 13, 2015
I really like this movie
April 24, 2015
It's basically a really well done Lifetime movie. Disturbing subjects at hand here but also handled very quietly with respects to real life. Kristen Stewart was flawless here and it almost felt like she was channeling personal experience here.All in all, this is the kind of film that kids should be shown at possible a jr. high or high school level as some what of a teaching tool for these subjects.
January 7, 2015
Good young actor and actresses. However, while the female lead is suppose to be selectively mute, I don't think she is in the show. She appears more like she doesn't want to speak and not like she can't.
January 1, 2015
I am a big fan of the novel and I can say that the film accurately captures the dry sense of humor and the belief in hope and recovery that made the book so thoroughly enjoyable. Kristen Stewart plays a rape victim/high school outcast with grace and Steve Zahn wins a laugh and a smile as a hippy art teacher who helps young Melinda bounce back.
½ September 10, 2014
These kind of films have emotions and some kindness based on the tone and situations. In this film's case, the well-followed adaptation to its source material has the same tone starring the young Stewart sort-of pre-performing her Bella four years before her Twilight fame while Zahn performed with creativity from his artistic character. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
August 31, 2014
Such a beautiful film. Truly captures the devastation that rape has on people.
August 24, 2014
speak is a showtime indie movie starring Kristen Stewart about a girl living her life as a freshmen in high school like nothing is wrong despite being raped over the summer by a senior this movie is great because we see the pain in her and she doesn't even need to say anything this is a journey into the mind of a traumatized teen girl and as time goes on she finds the courage to "speak" I think this is a great film a great role for kristens form of acting granted it can get into dark places but this movie represents that despite
the dark you can find the light
½ July 11, 2014
As respective as it is to its original literary source, Speak was not at all created to break through any barriers when it comes to book-to-film adaptations.
½ June 15, 2014
This is a wonderfully powerful film adapted brilliantly from the award-winning novel. Kristen Stewart gives a truly star making performance as Melinda.
April 27, 2014
While it lacks the full visceral and brutal power of its source material, most notably in the climax, Jessica Sharzer's creative decisions, and a committed performance from Kristen Stewart, make Speak a largely successful adaptation.
January 14, 2014
wow this movie says something