Una Giornata Particolare (A Special Day) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Una Giornata Particolare (A Special Day) Reviews

October 6, 2016
6 çocuklu mussolini a???? bir anne (sophia loren) ve kar?? pencerede oturan gay bir spikerin (mastroianni) bir günlük hikayesini anlat?yor. hitler in roma ya geldi?i gün ailenin ve bütün halk?n kutlamalara gitmesiyle sadece bu ikili ve kap?c? kal?or ortada. en sonunda kad?n adama a??k oluor adeta ve sevi?iolar, filmin sonunda 2 ki?i geliyor ve adam? sürgüne gönderiolar...
May 9, 2016
Previously I had seen many pairings of Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni--next to William Powell and Myrna Loy, this is my favourite cinematic coupling--but never any works by director Scola, so I wasn't really sure what to expect, especially with it being a period piece of Italy just before the Second World War. This was a masterpiece. I could talk all day about how excellent the two stars must have been, in order to completely subvert every preconception we have come to associate with their on-screen romantic partnership (namely, Loren portraying a shy, put-upon mother of six, and Mastroianni playing a suicidal gay man) AND so convincingly. As well, I heartily recommend viewers to watch all of the extras on The Criterion Collection's recent release--I loved Scola's statement (and I paraphrase): 'Humour is as much a part of life as everything else--If a writer has a chance to put a comedic incident in a realistic drama, he has a moral obligation to do so.' I will remember that--and hopefully utilize it in my own work, should I ever be so gifted as to work in the field that I love--for the rest of my days.

I am surprised that it wasn't mentioned in any of the extras that Mastroianni was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance here. That is extremely rare for a foreign-language film, and should instantly be a clue to you of the film's quality. In Loren's June 2015 interview, she stated it was her best work other than her Oscar-winning acting in 'Two Women'. She's absolutely spot-on--and still looking gorgeous today. Definitely worth a purchase and rewatching. It's one of the most poignant observations of loneliness I have yet seen. When Loren's Antonietta says to Mastroianni's Gabriele 'I love you just as you are', it really doesn't matter what eventually happens to either party--Gabriele has found unconditional love. There is truly nothing else worth having, not even life. It should have been called 'A Very Special Day', for it most certainly is, especially for the cinephile who watches it, even now. And I wouldn't be the least surprised if the film's re-release starts a surge of interest in scrapbooking, as Antonietta was so good at it, charting in an obsessive fashion the doings of her beloved Il Duce.
May 9, 2016

March 24, 2016
Slow and tedious in places, it's actually a very thoughtful piece of cinema if you can stick with it.
½ January 21, 2016
This movie is a perfect example of the genius of Ettore Scola.
January 19, 2016
Voila! the essential watching for bleeding heart liberals.
November 22, 2015
A quiet well acted movie with excellent portrayals by both Sophia and Marcello. It holds your interest with no need for special effects or fireworks. An interesting look into the life of two people in Italy pre WWII
May 13, 2014
How does an audience feel watching two depressed characters fail to cheer each other up during a depressing time period in Italy? Well, I don't know about you, but I was both depressed and bored. I'm a big fan of both Loren and Mastroianni, but I love to see them do stuff, have fun, overcome obstacles... and none of that happened here. This is a slice of life story, and it seems more suited for the stage than for film. It isn't even interesting visually. In fact, the set, costumes, and general mis-en-scene, are also really boring. I'm not going to say that it's a terrible film, though. In the character's interactions and dialogue, there was a bit of tension and a promise of furthering the story. Unfortunate that nothing comes of it, but I liked thinking that something would happen. Plus, it's hard to make this setting fun. So, I'm going to say this movie is just so-so.
May 2, 2014
HERMOSA PELICULA GRAN ACTUACION DE SOPHIA Y MARCELLO
April 15, 2014
This great Sophia Loren flick deserves more attention.
March 31, 2014
Non uccidetemi se dico che non l'ho trovato particolarmente interessante. Il neorealismo ha partorito di meglio (a mio avviso) e lo ha fatto in anni precedenti a questo.
½ August 30, 2013
Loren and Masroianni in fine form as the realities of life are brought home to an unthinkingly fascist housewife.
July 16, 2013
Cast against type, Mastroianni (Oscar-nominated) and Sophia Loren deliver great performances in Ettore Scola's sensitive drama about a suicidal homosexual and a tired housewife.
½ July 30, 2012
A dated premise, but nonetheless, beautifully told and rendered.
July 5, 2012
Finstämd och symbolisk vardagsskildring från fascismens italien. Nära på neorealistiskt rödkindat.
June 3, 2012
The acting is certainly here, both leads give a great performance, Marcello in particular is his usual powerhouse self and kind of carries the film. Other then that it's a bit to melodramatic, and, well, pointless? It doesn't really offer any social or intellectual themes and it doesn't come around to any satisfying conclusion about anything. Entertaining while it lasts though.
January 14, 2012
SL and MM are in top form. Good watch.
December 10, 2011
niceeeeeeeeeeee movie
October 14, 2011
To be fair, I don't like Ettore Scola. I find him too politically correct and to be frank mushy. And this film is no exception: "look how awful the awful fascists are and how wonderful the gay-freedom-loving-culture-buffs are". No really you think so?Now Mastroianni and Loren are not bad actors, but they're not good enough that seeing them non-stop on the screen doesn't reveal their short-comings and cheap tricks.The only truly pleasant moment is in the very beginning when Italian newsreal of the time are presented: sheer madness! Hilarious in a crazy way.
½ November 13, 2010
D'une justesse et d'une modernità (C) incroyable, Scola expliore la place de la femme et des homosexuels dans l'Italie fasciste et redà (C)finie ainsi le principe même du couple au cinà (C)ma (bien aidà (C) par 2 acteurs stupà (C)fiants). Une và (C)ritable perle d'à (C)motions.