The Specials - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Specials Reviews

August 10, 2018
A minor film with a modest budget, but still ahead of its time and very funny thanks to a clever screenplay by James Gunn. The Specials was a fanboy labor of love that mostly works.
June 3, 2017
Drier and more absurd than Mystery Men, this is a true classic of superhero parody. Everyone in the cast delivers a top notch performance and the superhero world they live in, implied by their offhand comments, is sublimely faithful to the genre. A very human film about flawed but likable characters.
½ April 27, 2017
Funny in places - dull in others.
August 25, 2016
Low-budget film about a low-budget superhero team. Some good ideas and a great cast, but sadly just sort of peters out. It didn't need any sort of special effects, but it did need to have some sort of resolution.
½ February 12, 2015
I loved the movie. It wasn't suppose to be epic or a blockbuster, but what it did succeed at was being incredibly funny in a complete deadpan comedy way. I laughed through the entire movie at some of the outlandish situations or straight-faced comic deliveries. In my opinion it's like if Mystery Men was made by a the team that made the BBC show Black Books...
September 23, 2014
most of you how hate it are... well lack of a better term "average". I stumbled upon this movie late one night. I was about to masterbate, but all my socks where used up. So I ended up watching late night tv and caught the last 20 minutes and ever since I've been looking for this movie.

This movie was.. no "is" awesome. It was campy behind belief. I mean the only reason I watch "Mystery Men" was to get more, but MM took it self to seriously.
So the ones that gave this movie a thumbs down can go jump off a cliff or watch another seth rogen movie.
August 23, 2014
Hit-or-miss satire of the superhero genre.
August 5, 2014
No hay duda Marvel hace las mejores movies y los mejores hamburgers
½ July 9, 2014
A funny (and really screwed up) superhero flick that has a twist for every time you think you figured out where it was going. Incredibly cheap, but very well written. A great cast. Did I mention it was screwed up? RECOMMENDED
½ June 2, 2014
There are reasons why this quirky superhero movie has faded in obscurity. For one, it goes out of its way to avoid showing any actual superhero powers or action. I'm not sure if it's brilliant, or just cheap. Talking about cheap, the production value is horrible; it's from 2000, that's one year after the matrix came out and the difference couldn't be bigger. Is it funny? No, it is not. So why should you watch it? Only because it's one of a kind, which is something I guess.
½ September 3, 2013
This superhero spoof uses a blend of slapstick and satirical humor to get its laughs, but its jokes only hit as often as they miss making for an above average spoof, but just a plain average comedy.
½ May 27, 2013
Kinda pointless movie. They only show their superpowers once, there are no battle scenes, and the movie only covers one day and night. Basically it just shows how they got together, why they are the sixth most favorite group, and why they stay together.
½ February 5, 2013
I've been wanting to see thing for a long time because of all the great people involved but I mostly found myself disappointed.
January 22, 2013
Fantastic cast, but not quite a movie. It doesn't follow the 3 act structure and it feels it. Halfway through it just meanders, there's no antagonist, no ticking clock, the movie just reaches an outcome and ends. That said, I did laugh a few times and I do enjoy indie superhero films. Thumbs up.
December 1, 2012
kinda like X-Men with more use of the F-Word
August 1, 2012
Despite the obvious lack of budget to heroes powers, The Specials the mother of all superhero parodies.
½ May 5, 2012
funny for a while but the satire runs its course quickly. you remember this after you finish it sadly
½ May 5, 2012
Mystery Men got there first by a full year but the more character exploration movie has some things worth saying and with it's cast of b-grade talent there is plenty going on in the little over an hour running time. Greer and Park steal every scene they are in as their characters seem the most developed despite being ancillary.
½ April 27, 2012
not quit the film you might expect but this was rather entertaining
April 17, 2012
While it's not my favorite superhero movie, it is definitely high on the list.