Speciesism: The Movie Reviews

• Sep 28, 2017

One of the best vegan documentaries I've ever seen, and I've seen a few.

One of the best vegan documentaries I've ever seen, and I've seen a few.

• Nov 17, 2014

First 40 minutes are a longwinded introduction into the topic, but it is useful in the way it recognises the issues in the real world before introducing the philosophy. Once it enters the philosophical issues, it acts as an outstanding introduction into speciesism. A huge array of philosophers, including the father of speciesism, Peter Singer. Would certainly recommend to anyone interested in the topic of animal rights.

• Jul 26, 2014

After viewing it is impossible for anyone in their right mind to remain a speciesist. The only way to ignore what the film depicts is to put blinders on. It is informative, intelligent, and philosophical.

• Jul 10, 2014

very well done. hit all the points at a good pace

very well done. hit all the points at a good pace

• Jul 02, 2014

Truly loved this movie - it was insightful and entertaining, with plenty of impressive philosophers, sociologists, and other experts providing really interesting ideas about how we relate to other animals. I bought a copy to keep and share with friends.

• May 08, 2014

Quite possibly the best documentary I've ever seen. It starts out slow and eases you into the situation, then throws you for a loop with extremely insightful commentary and information to make you think. I wish I could have seen this movie years ago, as it most certainly would have kick-started my move to a more compassionate lifestyle. It's nice to see a film like this take the high road in approaching the subject from a philosophical vantage point rather than the typical shock factor approach. I think (and hope) it has the potential for opening up the much needed conversation about animal rights and ethics in general.

• Mar 30, 2014

This very low budget doc does a really remarkable thing. It disarms you with humor and a "devil's advocate" style of interviewing and when you aren't looking it gets you. I don't think I'll ever see the culture I live in the same way again. If you want to change minds about the way we eat, this is the film to do it.

• Nov 25, 2013

The only reason it's not a full 5 stars is that it's not top notch picture or audio quality, but that's kind of unfair because there's something to be said about a film that is very low budget, but still holds your attention completely and challenges, pushes, and inspires you intellectually. The average person will find themselves questioning everything they've come to accept as normal in terms of animals, and the animal rights activist will be re-inspired, and find, arguably, the most thorough investigation of what it means to be human in modern society, arming them with answers to any and all questions they may get from defensive, or just curious, carnivores.

• Nov 11, 2013

I've seen a lot of documentaries on animal issues, and I've found many of these lacking in originality. Such was not the case with this film, and I was impressed that Devries found a number of novel ways to get the viewer thinking about what today's animals endure, and how the belief systems we accept without thought lead to unnecessary suffering. Thought-provoking, entertaining, and highly recommended.

• Nov 11, 2013

I think I spotted Devries crawling through the bushes that hide my barbecue, a giant, bizarre hibatchi, hidden deep in remote areas of my back yard. Cue: sinister music, nazis, crazy neighbors, and poor reasoning. I haven't seen the movie because based on the marketing I couldn't stomach this nonsense. I walked out on the trailer.