Speed Racer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Speed Racer Reviews

April 2, 2016
A mi me gusto bastante, muy divertida aunque estupida a veces, pero asi era meteoro
April 1, 2016
One of my favorite movies, great screenplay, incredible visuals, and all around enjoyable film. How could you not love Susan Sarandon and John Goodman as loving parents of an incredible passionate family. What is the matter with you!?!?
½ March 28, 2016
It's not a bad movie. It's a good visual experience and it follows the source material really well. The humor does indicate that it is a kids movie and the CGI should have been toned down just a bit.
March 23, 2016
o filme mais injustiçado da historia do cinema
½ March 14, 2016
Despite the high budget, stellar cast and accomplished directors, this is one awful film. All flash, no substance. A ten minute cartoon plot is stretched into a two hour plus waste of film
March 2, 2016
It is literally the best movie ever! Such a great storyline and amazing cast. I don't know why it got so much hate and people saying it only appeals to little kids because I know a lot of adults that enjoy it!
February 15, 2016
Though some of the writing is disjointed, and some of the scenes feel out of place and awkward, I found the movie exceeding my expectations. Obviously, I have to compliment the visuals, there's an element of color missing from films these days. The scenes(especially the races), looked gorgeous with a stunning palette; most movies seen recently are a jumbled mess of muted color. They knew how to emulate the world of the original cartoon, and they did a wonderful job emulating it.
February 12, 2016
the only movie that was based on a tv show or cartoon that was actually good
very underrated the best movie the wachowskis ever did
February 8, 2016
Speed Racer's world building is like the taste of skittles translated to visuals, but the rest is too hammy for its own good. The overlong run-time, certain obnoxious characters, general corniness, occasional muddled storytelling, predictable plot twist and forgettable lead performance by Hirsch culminated in a rather annoying experience with few commendable aspects throughout. Speed Racer certainly has its energy and aesthetic, but simultaneously it's a hyper-maniacal bore, doing little to no justice for the classic cartoon.
½ February 1, 2016
160201: Though slow at times, particulary in the first 45 minutes, there is something appealing about this film. Lots of racing action, a good song "Go Speed Racer Go", fun characters and cool cars. Grandma left full of energy, which scared me, as she was getting in her car. Good thing she doesn't have my old 5.0 anymore.
½ January 25, 2016
Probably the best anime to live action adaptation I've ever seen. It polarized audiences when it came out, but I believe it deserves a second chance. If anything, it's fun to indulge in what is ultimately one of the most over the top films released in the last 10 years.
January 10, 2016
I didn't think I was going to like it but I enjoyed this one a lot
December 30, 2015
Speed Racer provides clean cut action and unique style that has yet to be seen again. While the visuals at times, particularly with the theatrical release version, are overwhelming, the editing makes sure audience members are able to follow the fast past action. As for the actors, all of them are perfectly cast and give good to great performances and have excellent chemistry with each other; while at times being a bit campy, mostly due to the writing. The writing, while moderately well, at some points hinders the story and tone of the film with either having serious moments be interrupted by "childish antics/jokes" and the use of adult language in a PG film, while very few, may leave older audience members confused from the sudden there sudden use in an otherwise lighthearted, child-friendly film. The writing also provides for moderately good pacing and a well-balanced plot; providing the audience with a simple and enjoyable story, with lovable characters and great racing sequences. Overall, Speed Racer is not a movie that may appeal to everyone, mainly due to its art style, but for those who either enjoy or look pass the style, it provides an excellent balance of tone, style, characters, acting, and fast-past action that will leave you cheering "GO SPEED RACER, GO!"
December 27, 2015
One of the most underrated films of our time. The Wachowski's create an entire universe that blends live-action and anime-style style visuals and direction. Sometimes critics fall short, in this case unable to understand beyond use of computer generated images. Unlike films that use CGI to dehumanizing effects, the Wachowski's create a different world where characters, relationships, settings, and themes pop. There's a great existential message embedded in there, too, which I find personally wonderful.
December 21, 2015
Yawnsome but sumptuous attempt live action attempt at bringing the Japanese cult anime to life. I really wanted to like this mainly as everyone kinda hated it but it just doesn't work. Visually it feels as if someone has crushed Skittles into your eyes and is simultaneously vomit-inducing and beautiful. The film has been laboured and given plenty of love but has no spark with the middle section dragging intensely and the races themselves being curiously dull and unengaging. It looks fantastic on Blu-ray however but sadly that's about all I can recommend about it.
½ November 17, 2015
F*ck you Speed Racer. I Love to not hate you.
½ November 16, 2015
Speed Racer is a faithful adaptation of the 1960s Anime classic. The visuals are glorious in their ability to convey the actions, maintain the 3D relationships, and provide a hi-def storyboard of the plot. Each character is perfectly cast. The only real complaint I have, if any, is the fact that the character of Spritle will sometimes show up and break up an otherwise perfect scene.

It was panned by critics; but I wish that they would give it a second look. This movie is just shy of movie-anime perfection.
½ October 27, 2015
Es entretenida pero sobrecargada de efectos visuales y colores, hasta el punto de una auténtica jaqueca. y la historia se ve incoherente gracias a la edición y la sobrecarga de CGI.
October 19, 2015
For what this movie was, it was pretty good. As a cartoon adaptation, it's pretty harmless. Sure, it did take some liberties with the source material, but it's not like with most films based on a cartoon such as "The Smurfs" movie, "Alvin and the Chipmunks" films or even "The Last Airbender" which had absolutely nothing connected to the cartoon. This movie, on the other hand does seem to look like somebody in the crew that made this movie actually saw the cartoon. The basic stuff is still there, Speed is a young car racer who wants to become the best car racer in the world, he has a friend named Trixie, a younger brother named Spritle a pet monkey, he has a brother named Rex who disappeared, he meets up with a racer known as Racer X who later turns out to be his brother, the list could go on. The characters look a lot like their animated counterparts (well, at least as much as possible, I mean, you can't have them to be big eyed like the japanese version), they remain with the personality they had in the cartoon (maybe a little bit more independent than in cartoon for some of them) and even the car designs are pretty faithful to the original.

So when people say that this is one of the worst movies out there, guess What. If it resembles the character personality, character design, car design and a lot of elements of the cartoon's story, then it's a freaking movie based on a cartoon that was more faithful that the other ones.
And all what I pointed out about this movie is what this movie should be given credit for. Changing the character entirely like they did in other movies based on cartoon or making them look nothing like their counterparts would a different thing.
And this movie should be given more appreciattion for what it did and for what it is. Especially seeing how this movie, along with Lone Ranger and some other good films that ended up having a poor rating like this and being down there with garbage like 50 shades because of it.
½ October 17, 2015
The epitome of a bad movie, Speed Racer ruins the reputation of the Wachowski Brothers with its garbage effects, stupid plot, and stupider characters who are dull and very unlikeable; also to mention that the action scenes are terrible