Speed Racer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Speed Racer Reviews

January 10, 2016
I didn't think I was going to like it but I enjoyed this one a lot
December 30, 2015
Speed Racer provides clean cut action and unique style that has yet to be seen again. While the visuals at times, particularly with the theatrical release version, are overwhelming, the editing makes sure audience members are able to follow the fast past action. As for the actors, all of them are perfectly cast and give good to great performances and have excellent chemistry with each other; while at times being a bit campy, mostly due to the writing. The writing, while moderately well, at some points hinders the story and tone of the film with either having serious moments be interrupted by "childish antics/jokes" and the use of adult language in a PG film, while very few, may leave older audience members confused from the sudden there sudden use in an otherwise lighthearted, child-friendly film. The writing also provides for moderately good pacing and a well-balanced plot; providing the audience with a simple and enjoyable story, with lovable characters and great racing sequences. Overall, Speed Racer is not a movie that may appeal to everyone, mainly due to its art style, but for those who either enjoy or look pass the style, it provides an excellent balance of tone, style, characters, acting, and fast-past action that will leave you cheering "GO SPEED RACER, GO!"
December 27, 2015
One of the most underrated films of our time. The Wachowski's create an entire universe that blends live-action and anime-style style visuals and direction. Sometimes critics fall short, in this case unable to understand beyond use of computer generated images. Unlike films that use CGI to dehumanizing effects, the Wachowski's create a different world where characters, relationships, settings, and themes pop. There's a great existential message embedded in there, too, which I find personally wonderful.
December 21, 2015
Yawnsome but sumptuous attempt live action attempt at bringing the Japanese cult anime to life. I really wanted to like this mainly as everyone kinda hated it but it just doesn't work. Visually it feels as if someone has crushed Skittles into your eyes and is simultaneously vomit-inducing and beautiful. The film has been laboured and given plenty of love but has no spark with the middle section dragging intensely and the races themselves being curiously dull and unengaging. It looks fantastic on Blu-ray however but sadly that's about all I can recommend about it.
½ November 17, 2015
F*ck you Speed Racer. I Love to not hate you.
½ November 16, 2015
Speed Racer is a faithful adaptation of the 1960s Anime classic. The visuals are glorious in their ability to convey the actions, maintain the 3D relationships, and provide a hi-def storyboard of the plot. Each character is perfectly cast. The only real complaint I have, if any, is the fact that the character of Spritle will sometimes show up and break up an otherwise perfect scene.

It was panned by critics; but I wish that they would give it a second look. This movie is just shy of movie-anime perfection.
½ October 27, 2015
Es entretenida pero sobrecargada de efectos visuales y colores, hasta el punto de una auténtica jaqueca. y la historia se ve incoherente gracias a la edición y la sobrecarga de CGI.
October 19, 2015
For what this movie was, it was pretty good. As a cartoon adaptation, it's pretty harmless. Sure, it did take some liberties with the source material, but it's not like with most films based on a cartoon such as "The Smurfs" movie, "Alvin and the Chipmunks" films or even "The Last Airbender" which had absolutely nothing connected to the cartoon. This movie, on the other hand does seem to look like somebody in the crew that made this movie actually saw the cartoon. The basic stuff is still there, Speed is a young car racer who wants to become the best car racer in the world, he has a friend named Trixie, a younger brother named Spritle a pet monkey, he has a brother named Rex who disappeared, he meets up with a racer known as Racer X who later turns out to be his brother, the list could go on. The characters look a lot like their animated counterparts (well, at least as much as possible, I mean, you can't have them to be big eyed like the japanese version), they remain with the personality they had in the cartoon (maybe a little bit more independent than in cartoon for some of them) and even the car designs are pretty faithful to the original.

So when people say that this is one of the worst movies out there, guess What. If it resembles the character personality, character design, car design and a lot of elements of the cartoon's story, then it's a freaking movie based on a cartoon that was more faithful that the other ones.
And all what I pointed out about this movie is what this movie should be given credit for. Changing the character entirely like they did in other movies based on cartoon or making them look nothing like their counterparts would a different thing.
And this movie should be given more appreciattion for what it did and for what it is. Especially seeing how this movie, along with Lone Ranger and some other good films that ended up having a poor rating like this and being down there with garbage like 50 shades because of it.
½ October 17, 2015
The epitome of a bad movie, Speed Racer ruins the reputation of the Wachowski Brothers with its garbage effects, stupid plot, and stupider characters who are dull and very unlikeable; also to mention that the action scenes are terrible
½ October 11, 2015
great movie, really should do more speed racer movies
Robert B.
½ October 8, 2015
Speed Racer is a movie for kids with plot elements for adults. Being of a younger generation, I did not find the movie to be sensory overload like some other viewers but can definitely see that as a legit point. Actually, I had mixed feelings on the visuals. Initially I found them cheap and fake but later found them to fit the theme and spirit of the movie. Overall, while not a great movie, Speed Racer has good sentiment and fun moments throughout and as a family movie I find it impossible to rate down.
September 26, 2015
2 stars for fantastic art design, visual effects and a good use of music ques. 1 extra star for a story that was pretty decent.
½ September 23, 2015
Wachowski Brothers Destroyed another Classic!
This is a Terrible adaptation of an Classic Anime... this is why i hate American Remakes of Japanese animes!
September 2, 2015
No joke, in the shortlist for top 10, maybe even top 5 favorite movies.
August 15, 2015
This movie makes me wanna go roadkill. I rather watch the cartoon.
August 10, 2015
Not nearly half as bad as more than half the people on this website agree, and liked by less than half half as well as it deserves.
July 28, 2015
Good for a kids film..
June 23, 2015
I don't get why this film was rated so low. It's fun, the driving scenes (tons of them) are intense and have tons of eye candy, the cast was decent and the cinematography has some form of old-school to it that gets me feeling all nostalgic. This film is a ton of fun and everyone should give it a shot.
½ June 18, 2015
What a tacky and visually irritating film. This is basically The Wachowskis' Spy Kids 3-D; it is so soulless and mindless and cartoonish that calling it "stupid" would almost sound like a compliment. The story is incoherent and script is terrible, The Wachowskis always have a hard time writing believable and authentic dialogue, and the same goes to the character depth. I know it's supposed to be a visual feast, but most of the special and visual effects are incredibly dizzying and quite exhausting to look at. The only redeeming qualities are Christina Ricci and the score by Michael Giancchino. Other than that, Speed Racer is a joke: A candy dream that wastes the talents of everyone involved. What a shame.
June 12, 2015
I found this movie a lot of fun. Fox & Goodman were great, and the special effects/visuals were outrageous.