Spellbinder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spellbinder Reviews

½ November 22, 2016
ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz
October 27, 2016
I found the plot bland and that's being nice. Good idea but thought with the ending they could of dun more. I wouldn't recommend this
½ January 18, 2016
A yuppie attorney Jeff Mills (Tim Daly) comes to the aid of the gorgeous and mysterious Miranda Reed (Kelly Preston) when he interferes in what appears to be a domestic dispute. Soon Miranda has moved into his house and taken an important position in his life. Then it turns out that Miranda is fleeing a cult of Satan worshipers who may be intending to sacrifice her. This film co-stats a number of genre veterans including Rick Rossovitch, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Stefan Gierasch, and Audra Lindley. Granted, if you watch a lot of these films, you will see the shock ending coming a mile away, its still a lot of fun.
January 30, 2015
Pretty dull supernatural thriller. Probably an extra star for how gorgeous Kelly Preston is in this.
May 16, 2014
Pretty decent. Definitely better than expected
½ February 18, 2014
Slow moving, creepy mystery. Finally found it on dvd and bought it. Don't expect a huge pay off, but the ending is... memorable.
½ November 29, 2013
I remember seeing this one when it came out on video and thinking it was pretty good at the time. Watching it now, it doesn't hold up and seems laughably bad at times. Tim Daly rescues Kelly Preston from what he thinks is an abusive boyfriend in a parking lot. He then quickly finds out she's a member of a witches coven and that she is trying to leave. As you can guess, the coven doesn't want her to go and all sorts of witchcraft happens. Horror movies about witches rarely work. Outside of "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Wicker Man" there really are not any other great horror movies about witches (though I still haven't seen "Lords of Salem" yet). "Spellbinder" is still kind of fun in a trashy way, but it wasn't the quality horror film I remember, My adolescent brain was probably clouded by Preston, confusing film quality with attractive actresses.
½ August 11, 2013
Some things are just more then what you bargain for... a whole lot more--Flat occult thriller!!
July 10, 2012
I saw this movie the night the dodgers were in the world series and Kirk Gibson hit the now famous home run. What the heck was I thinking?!?!. The movie stunk; I cold kick myself!
½ June 11, 2012
wow.. pretty interesting twist of a movie
½ February 15, 2012
More interesting than your typical horror fare. The story focuses on Jeff, an attorney who rescues the lovely Miranda from what looks like an abusive boyfriend. However, it is soon clear that there is more going on than meets the eye, both with Miranda and the situation he took her from. Jeff gets pulled deeper and deeper into her world, and it's not a world that anyone should live in.

The characters, mostly Jeff, but also Miranda and the supporting cast, are far stronger than your average horror flick. Jeff is a genuinely nice guy and the audience can't help but root for him. The characters' actions generally make sense, and the ending does help explain actions that otherwise are a bit off.

As for the plot, this is basically a re-imagining of the Wicker Man, so if you've seen that, you should see where this is going. If not, this movie might surprise you. Hard to find, this movie may be, but it's worth a watch.
January 18, 2012
Pretty cool, good information on witches from the point of view of prey.
½ December 19, 2011
A mostly forgettable 80s horror film starring the beautiful Kelly Preston (the only memorable part of the film), Spellbinder tries to be a creepy tale of modern witchcraft, but ends up being nothing more than a rip-off of The Wicker Man and various other films. Entertaining for hardcore fans of 80s horror, Spellbinder can only be enjoyed as the piece of cheeseball horror that it is.
½ October 2, 2011
Unintentionally hilarious. It gets bonus points for having Mrs. Roper as one of its stars.
September 17, 2011
common plot but nice twist
February 15, 2011
Awesome! Part of it you will guess part of it you won't
½ October 20, 2010
ALSOME SUPERNATURAL WITCHY MOVIE
October 15, 2010
Tim Daly (Wings!) swoops to the rescue when he sees poor Kelly Preston (John Travolta's Wife!) getting smacked around by a pony-tailed 80s yuppie outside his gym--so begins poor Daly's cheeey decent into witchcraft and madness. If you can handle satanist schmultz like The Devil's Rain or Race With The Devil than you can probably find some solid enjoyment in this iffy B Movie. Plus, it has an excellent early entry in the career of badass character actor MC Gainey. VF.
October 14, 2010
Taking it back to the 80's. A young Kelly Preston & Tim Daly. Not bad for an 80's movie but still cheesy and some pretty flat acting. The movie is predictable. Back then maybe not but this storyline has been done a hundred times before. Guys, you would like this: Kelly Preston is shown topless (Quite Frankly, I cant think of any movie of hers that she is nude except this one). This would be a fun movie to heckle at.