Spider Forest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider Forest Reviews

½ December 4, 2012
Spider Forest is unbeatable in the confusion department (even more so than the brilliant A Tale Of Two Sisters). This South Koreon low-budget mystery/horror/thriller/romance/drama (take your pick) is remarkably good at what it does which is 'keep you guessing'. As usual to the casual viewer this would be sheer hell, scenes jump from past-present and vice versa with no warning. You don't know which character is which and why something is happening but this all adds to this features charm.
Some people would call this an absolute mess of a film which could have done with a lot of editing. However what saves this film from being just 'another asian flick' is its iconicness. The acting is brilliant, the main character took about 1/3 of the budget of the film but it was necessary. There are some lovely musical scores and shockingly bad scenes which are executed so well.
This is not a film for the faint-hearted and comparisons could easily be made to that of the Vengeance trilogy in content. Strong language, violence, gore, horror and bucket loads of sex have drenched this film but it managed to acheive a 15 rating in the Uk, the strongest of which i have ever seen.
Overall if you stick at it and have several viewings you still won't understand everything but this is a film which you remember because of the sheer beauty of some of the scenes and acting. Its heartfelt and potrays regret and horror in a brilliantly tragic way.
July 17, 2012
complete agreement: Tsubaki Sanjuro "Interesting premise, good start, but the story is told in the most cryptic way possible. Far from engaged i was a bit annoyed and hardly that interested in the characters."
½ June 30, 2012
Uniquely haunting and intricate--Cyclic Interpretations!!
February 1, 2012
This was an interesting movie. A korean movie in the style of David Lynch. I think I understand what happened but then again....who knows, only the guys who write these will ever truely understand I think. Ok, it's a good movie and the shots were really good.
June 16, 2011
This was a decent little thriller that I re-watched recently, though I think I had to scale back my initial rating. I think the first time around I found this a bit more interesting on the 1st viewing due to the vaguely David Lynch feeling I found in the film, what with the mystery, the forest, etc., but upon another look I had to reevaluate a bit.

Give it a go, it has some nice pacing and the supernatural elements are well handled.

The film is very watchable and well worth a rental.
March 22, 2011
This movie had an interesting premise, but I found that it got very muddled and that caused the ending to suffer. It reminded me a little of the Sixth Sense, which I never liked. I found the characters a little bland as well. There was too much effort in making a mindfuck movie, that the people in it seemed kind of boring.
½ October 22, 2010
A little hard to follow, because of the use of different scenes from different chronological times, but an okay suspense movie.
May 20, 2010
A very good psychological thriller/horror. Bit confusing at times tho.
April 9, 2010
If David Lynch ever made a movie in Korea, this would have been it. Drawing obvious inspirations from the master of bizarre, Song Il-gon has churned out a movie which is deadly mysterious and equally haunting.
February 25, 2010
Though its not the best Korean thriller I've seen, its worth checking out because the premise is strong, the effects and visuals are pretty amazing, the atmospheric horror is close to being phenomena. Again, Asian filmmakers, including the Koreans have a keen eye in tension.
January 7, 2010
starts off ever so slowly and captures you by halfway... it's a fairly simple story that is stretched to the limits by the director. i'm not sure if it's a good thing or not. it's one of those films that leaves you feeling slightly robbed at the end... but interested enough to go through a second viewing
½ December 20, 2009
A great art house flick which can be confusing at times. Starts out very slow. It's a good complex thriller with an intriguing storyline which keeps you guessing right till the end although it does leave a few questions unanswered.
December 8, 2009
Got completely lost very quickly. No idea what this is about. Probably really good but I just don't get it. Maybe I'll try again another day.
September 29, 2009
Just because one does not fully understand something, does not make it deep, intellectual, meaningful, or high quality, it simply makes it incoherent. Unfortunately, some people have absolutely no taste for well developed plotlines, and so they flock to anything nonconventional and illogical. In some cases, this approach works, but only when balanced with some form of realism to act as a foundation for the basis of the plot. Certain qualities must be concrete, even if they are found to be farces later in the film, in order to be conceivable. However, this film lacks that vital grounding point, and simply becomes disjointed and never seems to progress. Overall, this was far too ambiguous and needed a more definitive resolution, or, at the very least, some formal method of conveying the storyline and the order of the events that transpired. Instead, this film simply gets lost in its own allegory, and hence, the deeper meaning, if there ever was one intended, is utterly and completely lost. This film is an example of psychological surrealism used unsuccessfully in a film. If you are looking for a film that actually succeeds in this, choose Jacobā??s Ladder, Stay, The Jacket, or Open Your Eyes instead.
July 3, 2009
I thought i had this movie sussed out from the start. By the end i was bored to find out my thoughts were correct regarding the plot. Only and i mean only at the very end it turns everything upside down. It basically takes an average premise and tired old plot ideas and throws the entire story and the reasoning of it out the window. Making the entire sit through the movie completely pointless. So after watching the movie it makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

You know movies that have you guessing as to what was going on and then eventually you work it out. Yeah forget that, theres none of that here. The makers even boast in the making of featurette on the DVD that they were trying to be cryptic, vague and mysterious... Yeah theres being misleading then theres setting an impossible enigma that cannot be explained. Believe me i know everyone always has a friend that thinks they know everything and thinks they'll be able to work it out. So plenty of people are going to watch this and try, but it'll be in vain. Seriously you end up thinking up scenarios and theories, but something else in the story helps to make it not work. If nothing else it will give you plenty to talk about if your watching it with friends. Literally all and nothing is possible. Nothing can be proven or makes sense in this story by the end.

Anyway it wasn't that bad of a movie all in all, if you like your movies to make sense or know what was going on though abandon any idea of watching this flick now!

The dvd cover states that the movie in question will have you guessing till the end. Factually the movie will not have you guessing much at all, you'll figure out the basic premise fairly quickly only at the end to be spat in the face by the makers of this flick. Usually these kind of unexplainable movies are enjoyable to watch with friends because you can talk about it after, but this literally goes into infinity theres no way to break the link and decipher a plot that was meant to be unsolvable.
June 15, 2009
Not sure I totally got it, but I did enjoy it.