Spider-Man 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man 3 Reviews

Mark H.
½ November 8, 2017
Hard to believe it's been 10 years since this movie came out. I remember all the hype after the tremendous success of 1 and 2. This movie is actually fine, if you cut 25 or 30 minutes from it. Take out some of the goofy humor, the odd, depressing scenes with Mary Jane (she is a real downer in this movie) and some strange scenes when black Spidey emerges. He acts like a very awkward jerk during this short phase. However, Sandman is great, Venom is fine, and young Goblin is pretty good too, especially the battle royale at the end. Well done. The CGI is overdone in this one, and the long battles at the start with Spidey and Harry are a little silly. This one simply could not live up to the hype, but if they had cut this one down 20 minutes, it would be nearly as good as 1 and 2, and with lots of bad guys and action scenes. Plus, Stern released Spider-Man pinball in 2007 and I love that game!
½ November 7, 2017
Spider-Man 3: A terribly paced, overstuffed disaster that feels forced and is often quite boring. That fails to show how the Symbiote is evil.
November 4, 2017
LOVED IT, A LOT OF ACTION AND GRAPHICS ARE EXTREME!
October 27, 2017
looks really really good!!!!!!!!!!!!
October 21, 2017
Extremely disappointing. Shame they ended what could of been a great trilogy. First hour is really good after that what transpires in this movie is just embarrassing.
October 19, 2017
Not as much of a spectacle as the first two, but it's still damn good. Tobey still manages to control his likability here. Two great villains in this as well.
½ October 18, 2017
Spider-Man 3 is widely regarded as the weakest Spider-Man film in the trilogy, and it's pretty hard to argue with that. There may be more characters and plotlines, but Spider-Man 3 certainly doesn't have the emotional depth of the first two movies.

Gwen Stacy and Venom were written into the film at the request of the producer, and it shows because Sam Raimi and Alvin Sargent doesn't know how to write these characters in a way that makes them interesting. Venom is some alien that fell from the sky and Gwen Stacy is just another love interest.

It doesn't help that almost all of the characters were unlikeable, including Peter Parker, and I'm not just talking about "emo" Peter Parker. The complicated relationship between Peter and MJ could've been interesting, but the cause of their deteriorating relationship was Peter's overinflated ego. MJ also becomes just as self-absorbed over the course of the movie as Peter, as the movie focuses too much on MJ's fixation on her grandiose dream of pursing a music career. It's not that interesting, and frankly, it just makes her character more unlikeable.

Harry Osborne was also overly dramatic about his father's death, and Harry (*SPOILER*) learns from his BUTLER (of all people) that his dad was impaled by his own glider. It was too convenient and anticlimactic, and Harry's amnesia was also handled too conveniently. Speaking of death, the death of Uncle Ben was rewritten. Instead of the thief from the first film, it was actually Sandman (the main villain in this film) that killed him. This was a disservice to the original film. It's like if Bruce Wayne's parents was killed by The Joker instead of Joe Chill (or some other thief). Oh, wait...

Topher Grace was widely criticized for being miscast, as he didn't have the physical build of his comic-book counterpart, but I honestly didn't mind that he didn't look like his character. I think an actor with a similar build to Maguire would work better as an antagonist who is basically an evil version of Peter Parker, and I did enjoy the dark portrayal of the character. My problem with the character was that he was unnecessary. You can certainly have three villains in a movie (and even more), but Spider-Man 3 did not balance the villains very well, and out of all the villains, Topher Grace as Eddie Brock/Venom was the least compelling, which is disappointing because Venom is one of the best villains in the Spider-Man universe, while Sandman (in my opinion) is one of the least interesting villains. Making Sandman a better villain than Venom is like making The Penguin a better villain than The Joker. You can certainly make a less interesting villain better, but it's not worth the effort if it means butchering a better villain. That's what happens when you're forced to shoehorn a villain that you didn't want at the request of a movie producer.

The movie also made a mockery out of Peter Parker when he turned "emo" in an attempt to make him cool. I can tolerate the black attire, the bangs, and the rebellious attitude, but the dancing was ridiculous. Sam Raimi likes to be goofy at times (Evil Dead), but Peter's transition was out of character, and I found myself cringing rather than laughing at Peter's dance moves.

While I did enjoy Spider-Man 3 as it does feature some great action scenes (the last action scene and the fight between Peter and Harry in particular was very entertaining), the movie ultimately suffers from a crowded script. Not only were there three villains, but there were also TWO love triangles. This gives some characters, especially the villains and Gwen Stacy, a less than satisfying amount of screentime and development. Spider-Man 3 isn't terrible, but it's a bad example of a blockbuster made entirely by executives on an assembly line.
October 18, 2017
The worst of the franchise?... yeah.
½ October 12, 2017
Not so bad. Could do without Emo Peter but I thought it was fine.
½ October 1, 2017
After 10 years I still like the film. So what the villians are overstuff look at TASM 2 The Rhino apear at the end of the film make the Venom look like he's in the whole movie. Overall good film. 9.5/10
½ September 24, 2017
Although many seem to disagree with me, I thought this was a pretty good movie. Although there are some flaws such as them not doing enough with Venom, he's getting his own spin-off movie eventually so what's to complain about. Even with its flaws, there is still much to be desired. The movie is a lot of fun to watch. I really liked how Peter changes when he uses the black suit and how all the villains fit in at the end (even though they kinda felt crammed in). I would recommend watching this movie again with a clean slate. Forgive it for the sins and enjoy it for what it is.
September 23, 2017
Great acting! Great concept and beautiful Fx. Although the story was a bit complex, Tobey made the characters he portrayed believable. I wish the story continued to learn more about the main characters.
September 8, 2017
I don't feel that it is a bad delivery for the trilogy of spiderman, but it doesn't improve anything for its predecessors.
September 5, 2017
Has too many characters that don't fit together and has a slow pace but it still is a fun film and brings out a good message. I expected a lot more from this film and it wasn't received well. This is a good film but not a great film.
September 2, 2017
Incredibly disappointing and all the things wrong with this movie can be summed up in one word... Venom. The only bright spot was the Sandman.
½ August 27, 2017
This movie gave spider-man his more funny side with amazing actoin. The story was good and the villains but some scenes got weired so this movie is only ok.
August 27, 2017
This movie isn't as bad as I remember it being. I think after watching a bunch of Sam Raimi movies, I understand the artwork in this better. The sandman was a pretty decent villain in this movie too. And the emo scene is actually pretty funny as an adult.
August 20, 2017
Spider-man 3 (2007) has been deemed by almost everyone to be the weakest of trilogy. Though I do agree that it isn't the best compared to the other two, I still think this movie did offer a lot of really good elements that really did help me enjoy the movie despite having it's flaws
The Story does unfortunately fall under what I call the sequel trap as it tries to stuff too many plot points to try and make the movie seem grand and epic. I will give credit that they do at least attempt to explain everything the movie establishes and some of the story ideas surprisingly really do work. I like the establishment of the villain arcs for Harry and the Sandman and the new challenges that Peter and Mary face can be very relatable and sometimes heartfelt. The establishment of the Symbiote is a really cool feature that does add a new layer onto peter's struggle and it can lead to some very well done character development. Though a lot of the story seemed very messy and kinda all over the place, I can at least tell that everyone behind the scenes were doing the best job they could with making this movie work.
The Characters can range from being uninteresting to interesting depending on which character they bring attention to. Most of the main characters like Peter and Mary Jane do keep their same level of likability while giving more depth to their personality. Some of the new characters like Sandman and even Harry as a villain, are given a good amount of time to establish motivations and give reasons as to what they want to accomplish. Other characters like Gwen Stacy and Eddie Brock (who later becomes Venom.) Do not have enough personality and are usually put to the side to bring attention to other details in the plot. I personally thought that the actor playing Eddie was very miscast and I didn't feel for him even when he did become Venom because there really wasn't enough time to develop his character and give him much interesting material to work off of.
The Cinematography is very impressive and like the last two movies, it goes further with showing off some great action and some pretty immersive environments for our characters to fight in. The CGI has definitely gotten better and they blend in very well with the practical effects much better than the first movie. They also get creative with the many powers and stunts that both Spiderman and villains have to do. Sometimes, the CGI can show a lot of cool imagery such as the Sandman's birth or even the design of Venom as it was admittedly pretty freaky looking and threatening.
The Music was not done by Danny Elfman surprisingly. Instead it was done by Composer Christopher Young but you could probably never tell the difference because he does adopt the music style of the previous movies very well. Not much can be said about the Film's score but it does get the job done and works with whatever is happening on the screen.
It's so unfortunate that this movie didn't work the way it should have because it did have a lot of great things going for it. I know tons of people like to pick on this movie for it's flaws and I can understand that. I don't think it's anything awful or a waste of my time as there were still a couple of elements that really did work in the long run. I'm glad I saw it and I don't think the moments that are great should go unrecognized. The 3rd Spider Man movie may have ended the trilogy on an uneven note but it definitely at least tried everything it could to be great. (B)
½ August 20, 2017
Look, Spider-Man 3 is bad. Not awful, just bad. Mary Jane is more unbearable than ever in this installment, Venom has nothing cool to do, and character motivation, save for Sandman and Harry, is almost a joke. However, there are some good things in it too, like Harry's arc, the action, and Sandman's arc. Not enough to make it good, though.

3/10
½ August 18, 2017
A director who's given up fighting studio demands and a producer who doesn't give a shit about the source material results in an amateurish mess of a finale to Raimi's previously excellent series. Remove Venom and you'd be half way to a decent film- crammed in for fans by a producer, but not delivering what the fans want- just cashing in on the character and ruining a franchise. Other characters are shoehorned in for the sake of brand recognition coin counting and the film is a mess and a financial success based purely on the quality of what preceded it. Misjudged comedy montages and dance sequences take up valuable time that could have been given to development. Venom isn't a Golden Age character, but Raimi is clearly a Golden Age director- they don't serve each other well and the symbiote just seems so out of place in this version of Spider-man. It's a shame, it could have been every bit as good as its predecessor, one of the finest super hero movies so far. Also, that news reporter in the final battle is fucking terrible.