Spider-Man 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man 3 Reviews

July 20, 2017
Not perfect like 1 and 2 but still a darn fun film.
½ July 19, 2017
Although it was extremely cheesy and written for a 10 year old audience, I have to admit, I enjoyed it. 4/5

Update: rewatched after a few years and I finally realized why everyone hated it. Tobey just showed me again why I don't believe him as Spider-Man and the villlians were horrible. 2.5/5
½ July 18, 2017
Disappointed by the movie.Ruined a trilogy
½ July 18, 2017
A lot of people despise this movie but I don't think it's that bad, it's better than the next two Spider Man movies.
July 17, 2017
Action scenes still great, but poor choices and twists drag Spider-Man 3 down and end the trilogy rather poorly.
½ July 17, 2017
Sam Raimi's first two "Spider-Man" films were awesome, but this third one hits so many wrong notes.
½ July 16, 2017
Problematic, but in hindsight it was the last good Spider-Man movie.
½ July 14, 2017
Of course this film isn't as good as the first two, but it still is an entertaining film to watch
½ July 14, 2017
A film with potential that gets lost amid the amount of characters and a greedy studio. Tobey Maguire delivers an awe-inspiring and unconvincing performance, Topher Grace is one of the worst casting in history. I could talk for hours about the problems of the film, but I'll head the good parts, like the action and the rare moments we see Raimi's vision.
July 13, 2017
A step down from 2, but much better than people want to admit. Sandman is excellent, and the film packs a punch
July 12, 2017
With an overloaded story, a bullsh*t villain team-up that gives Batman Forever a run for its money, and literally the worst dancing scene in the history of film, Spider-Man 3 nonetheless still barely manages to entertain. The action is still fun and intense, Sam Raimi's directing is above his average, the entire cast still give great performances, and Thomas Haden Church is perfectly cast as the Sandman.
July 12, 2017
I thought it was good. I thought the middle was kind of of odd, but I loved the ending...well with some exceptions.
½ July 12, 2017
Ah, the Spider-Man film that nearly ruined the franchise, Spider-Man 3. Like the previous two films, there's a tremendous amount of nostalgia attached to this film for me. This was the first trilogy of superhero films that I connected with, and at 13 years-old I was willing to forgive many of the mistakes this film made, most of which I cannot forgive a decade later.

Only a few films have tried balancing more than one villain, Spider-Man 3 being the classic example of how not to do it. Apparently, the studio forced Venom on Sam Raimi and hence making Harry & Sandman's arc far less effective when the final act is bogged down by a silly attempt at bringing Venom to the big screen. None of the three villains are all that great, but there's at least some emotional undercurrent with both Sandman and Harry. Venom is, more or less, just a third act reveal that is meant to please fans. Only, it did the exact opposite.

Another thing that definitely didn't win over fans was the fact that this film made Peter Parker an absolute jerk. It's one thing to have the symbiote change Peter, but it's another thing to have him physically abuse Mary Jane, and nearly kill his best friend Harry multiple times. This was far from the Peter Parker we came to love in the first two films.

Another headache was the direction they took Harry Osborn. Having him get "hit in the head" and lose his memory for half the film was one of the stupidest and laziest decisions I can remember from a comic-book film. I don't mind having Harry go the villainous route, but the memory loss was all a bit of a headache.

There is good, however. Raimi, as he proved in the first two, is great at shooting high-scale action. The CGI is definitely dated when looking back on it after 10 years, but the action is as visceral as anything in any Spider-Man film to date. Yes, that includes 'Homecoming'. If only the dialogue surrounding the action could match the brutality. I also think Thomas Haden-Church's performance as Sandman is nothing to scoff at, reminding me of the character depth that made Doc Ock so memorable. At the end of the day, Raimi was trying to give us a Spider-Man film that dealt with bigger and more important personal issues, whether that worked for you or not is entirely up to the viewer.

I think if Raimi had the tools that filmmakers have now (improved CGI) and perhaps a little less studio interference, then Spider-Man 3 could be a much better end to the trilogy than it ended up being. There's plenty I can't forgive about this film, especially the infamous 'dancing in the street' sequence, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

+Action

+Deals with real issues

-But is sometimes careless in its execution

-3 villains proved to be way too much

-Memory loss for Harry

5.8/10
Not good, this one.

Also, that was not Venom. I refuse to believe it.
½ July 11, 2017
Containing several contrived, heavy-handed, and even cringe-worthy moments, Spider-Man 3 is only able to be passable entertainment, mostly due to its stars and actions sequences.
½ July 11, 2017
could have been sooo much better...huge dissapointment...at least i have the new batman movies to keep my inner comic book dorkiness happy
July 10, 2017
The itsy bitsy spider got washed out...
½ July 10, 2017
For some reason, I actually enjoy Spider-Man 3. It's definitely not as good as the first two and a few of the sub-plots could've been cut out or at least done better, but the action scenes were cool enough to keep me entertained and some of the characters kept me interested in the movie. Not a really good movie, but it's aight.
July 10, 2017
This movie could have been better. Sandman and Venom? Those are some of the best villains in comic book history. It is definitely the weakest out of the trilogy. I mean come on... emo peter? You got to be kidding me.
½ July 10, 2017
Super shitty. Who wants to see a flabby Elmo spider-man? Lame villains and a terrible Mary Jane played by Kirsten Dunst. Stupid.