Spider-Man 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Total: 10/25
February 3, 2018
what ruined this movie was Emo Peter Dancing
½ January 25, 2018
Not as good as the first two due to the character and story development, but it still serves as a fun and entertaining movie to watch. B+
January 23, 2018
The problem with Spider-Man 3. Sony puts most of its eggs into one basket. What's the story? Peter Parker is planning to propose to Mary Jane Watson but this movie stands in his way. He goes on a quest to avenge Uncle Ben after James Cromwell reveals that Flint Marko, who becomes Sandman, is his true murderer and the guy from the first film was merely an accomplice. An alien symbiote crash lands on Earth and turns Peter into a jerk. A love triangle with Gwen Stacy occurs. Eddie Brock is the new kid on the block and he becomes a rival with Peter. And doesn't turn into Venom until the third act. You know that intriguing cliffhanger with Harry and the Green Goblin stuff? He gets amnesia for half the movie after the first action scene. While Venom was handled poorly, the real flaw for me was the alien symbiote. It's made the main selling point in marketing but all the symbiote does is chill in Peter's apartment until an hour into the movie. Granted, this movie is 2 hours and 19 minutes long including credits but don't dedicate the marketing strictly to one specific thing when there are already multiple stories. Not to worry, Spider-Man 3 still has enough redeeming qualities to be, at the very least, passable. The visuals look great with Thomas Haden Church's transformation into the Sandman being the coolest scene in the entire movie, the action sequences are amazing as can be expected with a Sam Raimi Spider-Man movie, J.K. Simmons steals the show as J. Jonah Jameson who provides the movie's funniest moments and there is a nicely handled plot twist near the end of the movie. Peter's symbiote-influenced dance is "so bad, it's good" but that symbiote isn't trying to be cool. It's attempting to understand human life. It might as well have the voice of Tommy Wiseau whispering in Peter's ear. *Emo Peter dances* Symbiote with voice of Wiseau: "Dancing, dancing. This is what people do when they happy, yes? Hahaha" Spider-Man 3 is enjoyable yet flooded with storylines. I'm happy that Raimi finished all of them by the end of the movie and that term is saying a lot since this movie came out a year before Iron Man, which caused every major Hollywood studio to make their movies shared universes. In fact, that's one certain Shymalan movie's plot twist. The "overdosed on stories" diagnosis that this movie had ultimately results in a so-so conclusion to the classic trilogy. I wish Spider-Man 4 came out. We could've seen Bruce Campbell playing Mysterio finally having all his appearances from the trilogy connected. Never mind, I look forward to the day I stumble upon an alternate reality where the fourth movie happened and Sony let Raimi make the movie in his own creative vision.
January 13, 2018
I liked the movie. I like what they did with Flint Marko's character with his conflicted past and the reason he resorted to crime. Topher Grace wouldn't have been my first pick for Eddie Brock and I don't think they did Venom justice. Weird dance scene at the jazz club, but it was a fun movie overall. Enjoyed James Franco's performance. Story was okay.
½ January 12, 2018
It's good and I don't care what fanboys say they're stupid
½ January 7, 2018
Peter Parker cried 3 times. And there were 3 villains.. Not Sam's fault from what it sounds like. The first two were classics.
½ January 6, 2018
Much like X-Men 3, I can see what they were trying to do here. There are nuggets of good ideas in this movie, but that's part of the problem. There are too many of them. Each one could have been its own movie, but they tried to shove Sandman, Hobgoblin, Venom, and still do the whole Peter/MJ thing all at once. It was 3 movies in one and none got fleshed out as much as they deserved. Plus, my god, that corny 'Emo Peter' segment was cringe-worthy and embarrassing.
½ January 3, 2018
Even though it has some good performances and action and some GREAT moments, the plot is not that good, some moments are horrible and the three villain thing is BAAD.
December 22, 2017
A case of the good, the bad and the ugly in Toby's last outing as Pete. Studio interference is rife leaving Raimi directionless for large parts of this conclusion.
Overall feeling is a let down after the heights of number 2.
December 21, 2017
The plot is rushed, but I don't know how a rushed plot and a good story are compatible. It is also compared to one of the greatest films of all time in its predecessor -- and a damn good one in the first of the trilogy.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original. 6.5

Visualmente impactante. Narrativamente deja que desear en cuanto a desarrollo de personajes, y por momentos parece ser incluso una parodia de si mismo.
December 15, 2017
Not as good as one and two...disappointed me.
December 11, 2017
Not perfect but definetely underated, and way better than what anyone says.
½ December 9, 2017
While the rushed stakes of multiple villain arcs and twisted storyline circumstances within subplots might seem blatantly all over the place for some audiences, Spider-Man 3 nonetheless concludes a trilogy well worth of heavy potential with its strongest visuals, high paced adrenaline fueled action scenes, and brisk performances from its overall venerable cast.
½ November 30, 2017
Peter Parker est tellement naze dans ce chapitre!
November 25, 2017
I really loved the part when Harry and Peter teamed against Sandman and venom at the end of the movie. But I did not like the fact when harry put himself in front of his surfboard when earlier in the movie, the board is connected to the suit. But all in all, very great movie. I was sad that they never made Spider- Man 4 and have it that Peter found out where Sandman was and went to go get him, but he knows that he is doing it for his kid. Again, great movie.
November 23, 2017
Best "Spider-Man" movie ever!
½ November 20, 2017
This movie is full of plot holes, but it's enjoyable and entertaining since the first second of the movie.
November 19, 2017
This film had the hallmarkings of a great! After the first two films literally set the character scenes and the hopeful return of the goblin this film could have been fantastic!

Sadly however by slipping in some terrible and cheesy dialogue, an over-abundance of new characters and then trying to take on one of the greatest characters from the comics and cartoons the film comes out with an average marking!

Firstly I have to say I enjoyed this film, it was fun, the special effects were fantastic and the fight scenes therefore played out very well.

This film did however destroyed any character building made by the previous two and results in a serious lack of cohesion to the other two and because of this cannot be placed within the same league.

Sandmand and the new goblin both admirable foes and both shown well, however venom could have been so much more and came across far too weak as far as I am concerned and seemed to be slipped on the back of an average film to try and boost ratings. I am not one for cliffhangers in large franchises, I mean the only reason I didn't see the 3rd matrix film was because the cliffhanger was pointless and the second film killed off any point of a third, however a full venom film would have made sense due to its sheer fantastic reasoning and design, even introducing the character carnage would have been fantastic, but he seems rushed in this film, and thats not the way to win over die hard fans and new fans the like!

Anyway, I appear to be ranting, I would recommend you watch this film, its fun, its got great action and the Bruce Campbell cameo was fantastic, however do not watch this thinking you are going to get the same quality and attention to detail as the first two films, watch it like X-Men 3, as this is just what it is, a good trilogy spoilt by the lack of development and the need to force as many characters in at once. Oh and by the way, if you love over the top American patriotism, then this is definitely the film for you!s tried to fit too much into the film. Three villains as well as Peter's own inner demons, tension with MJ, problems at the Bugle...how much can one superhero handle? Sure, everyone has their own part to play...but introducing all those new characters, and having their individual arcs play out to a satisfying extent - it's a big job, and one that doesn't quite pay off - or, at least, pays off at the expense of smooth narrative flow. We end up with some terribly clunky lines of expository dialogue - such as Eddie Brock's line to Chief Stacy, which goes something like 'I'm the new photographer at the Bugle...oh, and I'm dating your daughter' - that will make you spit goo in annoyance (or, whatever it is you do when you're annoyed - I spit goo) The many mental/emotional shifts Harry (poor, poor Harry) goes through are handled in a pretty ham-fisted way, too. I can see what Sam is trying to do...but it just seems a bit...well, the word 'clunky' keeps coming to mind. There are also a couple of very 'sequelly' bits, which seem a little inconsistent with the other films. I'm not talking about the whole 'Flint-Marko-killed-Uncle-Ben' thing - that was actually handled surprisingly well. The most memorable example of what I mean is Bernard's little word in Harry's ear concerning Norman's cause of death. Umm...so, why couldn't he have mentioned it EARLIER?! Like, y'know, at the start of Spidey 2 for instance! It would have saved Harry a LOT of grief - not to mention Pete and MJ.

Narrative flaws and rough edges aside, however, this succeeds in being far-and-away the most entertaining film of the three, based purely on action and laughs. It is the darkest, the most action-packed, and by far the FUNNIEST Spider-Man yet. This, I suppose, is the upshot of Sam Raimi himself writing the screenplay (with brother and Army of Darkness co-scribe Ivan). The sequence in which Peter turns into the lamest bad-boy in history is a total crack-up. The looks on the faces of the 'laydeez' as he struts along the street like a nerdy, emo-midget Travolta are absolutely priceless.

The chase/fight sequence between Peter and Gobby Jr. is brilliant. We fly and fall through the air, not knowing which way is up half the time. Only Sam Raimi could disorient an audience to that extent while still allowing us to keep up with what's going on - AND manage to inject the scene with such style, humour and gravity, all at the same time.

Both Sandman and Venom are great to watch. Yes, the special effects are awesome, but it mainly comes down to the fact that both characters are so well cast (no surprise really, given the casting in the previous films). Thomas Haden Church (a very BUFF Thomas Haden Church, I might add) brings real humanity to Flint Marko. We actually empathise with him. Topher Grace is great, too. He has fantastic comic timing, and gives us a very slick, smarmy, but perversely likable Eddie/Venom. He gets some of the best lines (as well as some of the worst).

The established cast are all as good as ever, and have now grown nicely into their roles. They all seem comfortable, with the possible exception of James Franco - just because his character has been messed with a bit. But he does a good job considering.

And then there's Gwen.

Bryce Dallas Howard.

(*Sighs*)

Nothing much to say, really.

I suppose I could say that Gwen would never make it as a model, because she's far too healthy-looking and altogether too attractive.

But that might be a little cynical of me.

Bryce has a big future in movies. She's a very capable actor, and is obviously extremely photogenic. She just needs to stop doing bad M. Night Shyamalan films. And keep doing good Sam Raimi ones.

Speaking of capable, extremely photogenic actors who keep doing Sam Raimi movies, it's good to see Bruce Campbell in a slightly more memorable part this time. I'd never imagined him playing a cheesy French Maitre'D, but he gives a hilarious turn in a classic scene.

Yes, this film has problems, but if you just sit back and soak it up, they don't really matter that much. The movie looks great, will make you laugh, and will thrill you as well as move you.

Possibly.

I can't really speak for everyone. I mean, you might be one of those unfortunate people without a soul.

But I love it, in spite of its flaws, and I still think Sam Raimi is one of the best high-profile directors in Hollywood - because he's all about having fun. And that's what it all comes down to with Spider-Man 3.