Spies Like Us - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spies Like Us Reviews

½ December 26, 2016
not bad has some really funny parts in it
November 29, 2016
Fun and nostalgic movie.
½ November 27, 2016
Strained updating of the Hope, Crosby "ROAD to..." pictures. Hope has a great cameo, otherwise nothing special or particularly note-worthy.
½ November 5, 2016
I expected a lot more from the subversive sense of humor that John Landis brought to his films, and I certainly had high hopes for Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase in their primes. But the laughs in "Spies Like Us" are few and far between. Perhaps the movie takes itself too seriously, but most of the jokes just miss the target.
October 14, 2016
Shame on those who gave this less than four stars, I dont think they understand why movies are made. This is classic comedy and will never get old.
September 16, 2016
John Landis directs Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase in Spies Like Us. Chase and Aykroyd are two spies looking for some action. The CIA decides to deploy them as decoy agents to keep the heat two good agents who have an actual chance of sustaining. The mission is to infiltrate Russia and stop a nuclear bomb. Little does the CIA know that these two might offer more than they bargained for. The movie is quite hoaky and does not offer many laughs. One of the only good scenes involve Chase in a scene where he tries several different tactics to cheat on the initial exam. The film features big names, but does not have much else beyond that, and this film can be easily missed.
August 20, 2016
Chase is probably the only reason worth checking this out. Far from a good film and considering the talent involved this is flat out disappointing.
August 12, 2016
The story isn't the best, but Spies Like Us is an entertaining film. Aren't movies for entertainment?
But it lacks strong direction, its a mediocre story and an alright script.
It definitely could've been better.
August 12, 2016
They don't make em like they used to
½ August 5, 2016
You know, once I saw this on Netflix, I knew I was gonna watch it that same night, there was absolutely no hesitation from my part. I mean it's Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd working in the same movie when both were at their peak as comedians. What could go wrong? Yea, the reviews at the time weren't that kind, but sometimes films end up aging better than one might have imagined. And, to be fair, time has been kinder to this film when it comes to critics' and audience's reception. But, if I'm being completely honest, time legitimately has not been kind to this movie. I bet that if I was around in 1985, when this film was released, I would've probably thought it was a really funny movie. And I'm not saying that there aren't parts of it that aren't funny, because that would be a lie, but I found it to be a totally inconsistent movie when it comes to laughs. I think part of the novelty, to me, is seeing Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase in the same film together. Both worked with a lot of the same people, but I don't think I had ever seen them in the same film together. So, honestly, more than anything else, it was that and seeing how those two would work together. And, if I'm being honest, I just felt there was something missing from their chemistry. They're good together, of course, don't get me wrong, but it's not quite as genius a comedic pairing as one might have imagined. Both guys, like I mentioned, were at their peak in the 80s, particularly Chevy, who went on to have a near career-ending drop in the 90s. It might as well have been career ending, cause outside of appearing in Community for like three or four seasons (and getting fired from said show because everyone hated working with him), Chevy has done literally nothing. Anyway, the point is the fact that both were at the top of their game in the 80s and this movie really doesn't reflect the quality of the two comedians. Though, to me, part of the film's flaws can be traced back to the script. The first half of it, when Emmett and Austin find themselves in Pakistan, is when the film is at its best. The film does lose its steam when they cross the border into the Soviet Union. I just don't know what it was, but it's like they ran out of ideas or ways to put Emmett and Austin into absurd situations. The film does have a story and Emmett and Austin have to 'save the world', as it were, but it's literally so minimal that it might as well just have been a series of skits without any effort put into an actual story. Though this movie does have something that resemble more of a narrative than some of Adam Sandler's worst films. So, at the very least, this is better than that. I dream movies with more of a narrative than Sandler's worst. Not saying this is bad, not even close, it's only just average. But considering the people in this movie, it should have been world's better. Nothing else I can really say about this. It should've been funnier, but it's got a nostalgic tone and Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd, while not being as great a comedic duo as their names might suggest, still have enough solid chemistry to carry a lot this. Not without its flaws, but it's a perfectly harmless movie to watch.
August 1, 2016
Criminally underrated to this day as this movie was during the height of Chevy Chase's comedic powers. His facial expressions alone are fucking hilarious. And this was way before Akyroid became a sell-out huckster assclown. If you dig 80's comedies check this one out Doctor.
July 30, 2016
- Watched yet again. Super cheesy, but fun film with Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd in their prime. Good for a few laughs!

- Had to watch again, not the best film, but it's fun. Nice seeing Akroyd and Chase in their prime. Also, many director cameos: Joel Coen, Sam Raimi, Martin Brest, Costas Gravas, Frank Oz and more. Give it a try.

- Not great, but it is fairly amusing. Fun watching Chevy and Dan together...
½ June 19, 2016
Not really funny. The jokes seems forced and lame. Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd work in different government sector. Two Generals Steve Forrest & Tom Hatten in-charge of a secret mission for CIA need these two bumbling dudes to act as decoy for the real agents to smoothly complete their mission in Russia. The duo were promoted and given a quick training, then drop from the plane and landed in Pakistan. There, they met 2 Russian agents which Dan manage to sniff out. They manage to escape and end up in another camp, get to know other doctors and Donna Dixon, a beautiful doctor which Chevy is interested. Donna wish for Chevy to perform a small appendix surgery. The person died even before Dan make the first incision. The duo escape again from the camp. They see Donna and another doctor crossing the border to Russia, Dan see a briefcase which is satellite coding and think they are spies. The duo follow them until they lost track. Crossed the border, Chevy is caught by the Russian and Dan escaped. The 2 Russian agents ask who is he. Dan barge in to save Chevy. Meanwhile, Donna is indeed the spy agent from CIA and her partner is shot dead by the Russian. They saw a mobile missile launch team and Donna need the duo to go near and knock them out with tranquilizer. They link up with CIA and launch the missile. At the secret bunker, the two Generals and two hiring agents watch as they fail to destroy the incoming missile. It is then reveal by Steve and Tom that they are sick and tired of USA missiles been gone to rust and waste. They want to make use of this chance to start a war and use their arsenal to show who is boss. They think the world is gonna end, Chevy and Donna decide to make out. The others all do so. Dan is lucky to score with the sexy Russian soldier (Vanessa Angel). Doing halfway Dan thought of an idea to reflect the signal and quickly set up to make the missile fly upward off course and detonate. Soldiers barge in and apprehend the Generals. At the end part, Dan and Chevy play games with the Russians and determine which missile sites to be eradicate..
June 7, 2016
Easily one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, the laughs never stop.
May 13, 2016
A bit hit-and-miss but works, mostly.

Two low-level government employees, Emmitt Fitz-Hume (played by Chevy Chase) and Austin Milbarge (Dan Aykroyd), are chosen for a top-secret CIA mission. They are unsuitable as CIA agents but are deliberately chosen for this reason, as their mission is a decoy one and they are expendable. After being fast-tracked through training they are parachuted into Pakistan where all manner of adventures await them.

Quite funny at times, but also very silly at times. Plot is pretty basic and some of the sub-plots are plain stupid. However, for the most part, it works.

The main reason for this is Chevy Chase. He gets some great lines and delivers them perfectly. Dan Aykroyd is fine as the straight man but it is Chevy Chase that makes the movie watchable.

Another positive is the pace of the movie. It is quite frenetic, so even if a scene is a dead end, it is over quickly and we move onto the next scene. The pace helps to cover up the blemishes.

Not a must-see, but there are worse ways to spend 100 or so minutes.
April 18, 2016
not bad but no break out hilarious bits but nice cameos
March 15, 2016
Decent deep undercover mission comedy. Chase doesn't draw back his classic humor much and Aykroyd playing a military nerd makes a decent appearance as the "common hero" of the film. I couldn't find the film hilarious, but I did laugh out loud pretty well the first half of the film. This was also epically done well for a comedy featuring someone like Chevy Chase with some visually stunning scenes you would most likely see either in war or space movies. It felt a little slow at times, but this was a pretty decent film overall I'd say. Even though I lean more on the positive side, I'm not terribly surprised that this film didn't do entirely well either. It was still better than Three Amigos.
½ January 26, 2016
'80s cold war farce is still a fun watch if you enjoy the skewering of Reagan-era bluster.
January 9, 2016
A little frayed around the edges as time takes its toll but enough charm and fun from Chevy Chase to save this.