Spinning Into Butter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spinning Into Butter Reviews

½ June 8, 2013
Probably watched this movie for the wrong reason. This movie does make you think. Not all individuals think in terms of stereotypes. The reason the situation happened is really messed up. But, it's like people say, when you go looking for trouble, or you always expect it, you shouldn't be surprised when it finally happens.
April 29, 2013
it has this play feel to it and that doesn't translate well into being a movie. wanted to like it but ended up boring me.
January 14, 2013
?? film ???? ????? ?? ??? ???? ???????? ??? ?? ????????!!!
??? ??? ??? S.J.Parker...... ???????? ?? ??? ????? ???? ???????? ???? ??? ?? sex and the city......!
½ May 14, 2012
This movie gets you thinking I just wish the plot was thought out a little more
March 4, 2012
I think that I am going to be passing on this one.
May 10, 2011
there are good racism movies. this is not one of them. this isn't much of good movie, period. incredibly stale and wooden performances from the entire cast, with the possible exception of Mykelti Williamson. the characters aren't sympathetic, the story is mired in political correctness, and the dialogue is so forced you almost have to wonder if it'd be a different film if people could say what they would naturally say instead of lines off a script. Rebecca Gilman's play is at least somewhat tolerable because it involves a bit of thinking on the audience's part. this does all your thinking for you, and it does a very poor job of it.
May 10, 2011
Lord Naseby
March 24, 2011
I saw this film for my Theater in Film class.

While the film is undeniably well intentioned, that only goes so far for a film. It does what it sets out to do, but it doesn't do it incredibly well.

Acting/Characters: In terms of characters, there is nothing here that hasn't been seen before a million times. The characters here ask the same questions about racism that films such as Crash, Do the Right Thing, and To Kill A Mockingbird do. They just don't do it as well. The characters aren't as well done as they could be. The acting overall of the film is pretty laughable. But like with most bad acting films (not all by any means) that is the fault of the screenwriter. They want to do well with their performances I know they do, they just can't. 3/10

Plot: Like I said before, there's nothing in here that isn't done better in films like Crash or Do the Right Thing. Its pretty predictable overall. Even the ending. It tries very hard to ask the right questions and for all intents and purposes it does. I don't think that they tried as hard as they could to answer them. To me, they just point out the problems. Maybe they do because there is no real solution. Racism is a pins and needles issue with no definitive answer. So, I guess I can't bash them too much for not answering the questions they ask. It's a thoroughly predictable plot that we've seen many times before. It has great intentions, but little merit beyond that. 3.5/10

Screenplay: yeah, this was the worst part of the film. I mean, the screenplay was written by the writer of the original stage play so I should have expected that it would be better than it was. My theater in film teacher said that there are differences between the script of the movie and the script of the play. Maybe the script for the play was better. If so why didn't you stick to it!? *sigh* 1.5/10

Likableness: I didn't particularly enjoy this film. It was mildly interesting and was well intentioned, but it had no real merits outside of that. This isn't a movie I would suggest to anyone. If oyu want to watch a movie like this, watch Do The Right Thing. That movie was excellent. 2.5/10

Final Score: 10.5/40 26% (S)

I couldn't find any TRIVIA TIME stuff for this movie. That makes it even worse.
March 22, 2011
I saw a reader's theater version of the play a year or two ago. The play itself already verges on preachy, but manages to sidestep it by making it about the characters. Sarah Jessica Parker was unbelievably miscast as the lead. She takes the dialogue and drags it over the preachy line as far as it can go. The rest of the cast does their best to bring it back, but since her role dominates the movie, there's not much they can do about it.
½ March 13, 2011
While the acting and production is rough, it's a somewhat accurate picture of how administration can handle issue in predominately white universities and colleges. While some may say the dialog is ridiculous, as a POC at a predominately white university in Vermont, much of the dialog could have been taken straight out of real life. The issue of race is a messy one and it was intriguing to see a movie reflect more of the reality.
July 23, 2010
I kept watching , waiting for it to get better. It never did. Feels like a made for tv movie and it definitely feels like it's trying too hard.
July 16, 2010
SJP can't do that kinda characters i think it's really hard to shake out Carrie Bradshawout of her beside the movie it self and the cast wasn't all that good.
½ June 3, 2010
this was so incredibly racist and offending.
½ May 1, 2010
Loved it excellent movie
April 9, 2010
Great movie about race, but see it to believe it.
February 9, 2010
This movie was adapted from a play, and the script seems a little play-like, with its somewhat clunky and obvious flow, where you realize immediately that every line or element of a scene is as symbolic as it is personal. Still, it doesn't employ the heavy drama of most movies about race, despite the nature of the events that set the plot in motion. There's no browbeating or guilt-making that most can only relate to in a shallow and abstract way, unless it's being injected to point out how hypocritical such approaches can be - the "campus forum on race" for instance. Instead, there is a brave and uncomfortable, but ultimately more effective and healing, examination of everyday racism, the kind that might manifest as a stray thought or feeling when you're riding on a subway in the city. Its about the everyday, mundane reality of being one of a few and not knowing how to connect with others, or if you should be trying to. Its about the realities of trying to change society and the limitations that we experience when we do. Its about mixing up people with history and symbolism. We do the things we talk about being wrong, and no one has the right answer. All sides of the issue come out in surprising ways, and we're left with the uncomfortable realization that not everything can be worked out, but we keep trying. We're all as mixed up and imperfect as the other. The characters that are aware of their own struggles, and bravely share them, aren't heroic - they're human. The others are mere stereotypes with big mouths and little ears. Sarah Jessica Parker's character, in particular, walks convincingly into the minefield of racism in the "liberal shadow," the dark side of a person trying to help another person from a different cultural mileau. A film critic once panned her character in 'sex in the city' for being shallow and socially oblivious. She should watch this movie and see if her opinion of the actor's work doesn't change.
February 7, 2010
Kali istoria, apaisia ithopiia
½ January 31, 2010
This movie did send and interesting message and was strangly true. The idea and the rescources were simple none the less, but I feel the issues presented didn't need to be over shadowed by Hollywood glitz. My only issue with this film was Sarah Jessica Parker. I foud it surprising to see her star in a movie that tackles heavy issues, but unfortunately, I saw a little too much Carrie and not enough of Sarah.
SC007
January 23, 2010
I was happy to see Brooklyn College (the college that I attended) in this film, as the college where most of the action takes place. On the positive, the acting is really good. On the negative, the film feels too much like an after school special or a Lifetime TV film of the week. I figured out right away which character is doing the hate crime.
January 4, 2010
Not a bad movie but no new ground is broken here. Even the reveal of the culprit isn't that shocking. Maybe I just can't see SJP as anyone but Carrie Bradshaw but her playing this dowdy schoolmarm just didn't work for me. Her performance wasn't bad, especially at the climax, but it didn't resonate. Beau Bridges was wasted as well.