The Spirit of '76 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Spirit of '76 Reviews

April 24, 2013
This wasn't a great movie, but sort of fun from a 70s pop culture standpoint.
½ March 30, 2013
I really liked it. Funny story. I took my then girlfriend, who was quite a bit younger than me, to see the movie. She kept turning to me and would comment about "can you believe people used to wear pants like those (bell bottoms)" and the like. Made me feel really, really old - and that was back then!
March 6, 2013
Quite cheesy, but entertaining at the same time.
February 21, 2012
As if you couldn't already tell from the DVD cover, "The Spirit of '76" is a silly blast of nostalgic kitsch.

The year is 2176. A trio of American scientists from a gray, cheerless future aim to travel back in time to 1776, in order to find the forgotten Constitution and rediscover what once made their country wonderful. But their rickety capsule has a technical glitch, and they are sent back to 1976 instead. They soon meet up with two vapid teen brothers (played by Redd Kross' Steve and Jeff McDonald), and the plot doesn't go much further than this. Instead, we're just bombarded with a parade of campy '70s references, none of which are especially arcane or knowing. Disco, mood rings, Pop Rocks, feathered hair, smiley faces, the Bicentennial...you can guess the rest.

The casting may be more entertaining than the script. Former teen idols David Cassidy and Leif Garrett have prominent roles, and there's something oddly epic about seeing them share a scene near the end. Other vintage icons playing along with the joke include Rob Reiner (his brother Lucas wrote and directed the film), Carl Reiner, Barbara Bain ("Mission Impossible," "Space: 1999"), Tommy Chong and Iron Eyes Cody, while then-trendy figures like Moon Zappa, Julie Brown and members of DEVO also turn up in cameos.
½ January 12, 2011
new favorite? haha. a must see.
June 3, 2010
This one cracked me up! I love a movie that doesn't take itself seriously. More cameos than you can shake a stick at too.
February 4, 2010
Supposedly one of the first movies to spoof 70's culture, opening the floodgates for a bunch of other shit.. This was just not very good.. I remember enjoying it a lot more when I was younger.. The McDonald brothers from Red Kross are the best thing in the movie.. Oh and Devo.. And Rodney Snodgrass is the most annoying character in cinematic history..
iLeo
November 20, 2009
Hilarious movie! Definitely a movie from childhood.
Whoa! I just commented on this previously. Oh well.
½ October 10, 2009
so funny if you remember the 70's
½ January 7, 2009
Love it! but it's out of print.
September 5, 2008
This film covers the time when I was eleven years old: the fervor around the U.S.A.'s bicentennial (1976.)

Some sexual material makes it inappropriate for pre-teens I've told my nine-year old son Dimitri that he can watch it with me when he is twelve..

I own the DVD. if you're an established friend, and want to watch it with me, call my cell phone: +1 (310) 463-1377
January 31, 2008
You'd think this was made back in 1976!
½ November 25, 2007
OK, so this isn't a GREAT movie. But there are four good things about it:
1. The Rodney Snodgrass character.
2. Memorable quotes and '70s references (e.g. the characters have lines that are taken straight from Grand Funk and Bad Company lyrics... nice).
3. Moon Zappa's valley girl performance. Wow. If I worked at a store I would definitely ask customers "Can I, like, help you with something, or something?" because it just sounds correct, you know?
And, of course, last but not least...
4. Olivia d'Abo's unbelievably hot, smokin' ass. Wow!
(Plus she speaks with her native British accent, not that fake hippie Karen Arnold pseudo-American accent she had on Wonder Years.)
October 14, 2007
Time travel adventure powered by eye drops
July 9, 2007
This movie didn't have much to it but it was hilarious. Kind of reminded me of Austin Powers and making fun of the 70's.
½ June 17, 2007
Awesome cameo from members of DeVo (Mark Mothersbaugh and company)
½ June 14, 2007
This movie is hilarious. Just watch it for Rodney Snodgrass, the best nerd performance ever!!
½ June 7, 2007
Okay I watch rubbish films too!!!
March 7, 2007
Hmmm....I've heard the 70s are crazy.
June 28, 2006
It is so bad that it is good!