The Spirit of the Beehive (El Espíritu de la colmena) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Spirit of the Beehive (El Espíritu de la colmena) Reviews

July 3, 2017
While I didn't understand any of the anti-Franco hidden messages in the movie (apparently it's full of them), I did find the scenery and atmosphere amazing. The child reminded me of Curious George--getting into trouble with adults because she's too simple to understand their rules. It is simultaneously dark and innocent, and also relateable.
June 6, 2017
Very atmospheric and haunting movie but tells a great story. Watching this movie makes me think that the movie, The Others, was heavily inspired by this movie. The scene where the girls put their heads against the train tracks also seems like it inspired the scene in Inception.
March 21, 2017
This film is considered by many to be a Spanish masterpiece. It is beautifully filmed - the colours, the expanse, the use of empty space. Victor Erice delicately maneuvers his way through the telling of this simple story. He makes exceptional use of Ana Torrent's wide-eyed open features to create striking contrasts between innocence and the threat of danger. This is a lovely film. Erice has a gentle touch.
½ October 20, 2016
The Spirit of the Beehive has gorgeous scenery, a sweet central character, an intriguing premise and such a great first act with some really heartwarming moments, but everything that came afterwards was either dull or disappointing and the movie is way too slow to be enjoyed more.
½ June 4, 2016
A film that is slow paced in its almost nostalgic view of 1940's Spain yet there are undertones of danger, fear, vulnerability, longing and the loss of innocence throughout. A beautifully understated picture that is haunting from beginning to end.
May 31, 2016
An absolutely beautiful movie. The acting, the story, the cinematography are all fabulous.
½ April 13, 2016
A brilliant and spellbinding sociopolitical commentary told in a most symbolic way (and with a gorgeous cinematography) as a fabulous tale of loss of innocence centered on a sweet 7-year-old girl who discovers evil at the heart of her beehive-like world in Francoist Spain.
½ January 19, 2016
This quiet, meditative study on the curiosity and fears of childhood burns deep into your psyche with feelings and images no other film on this subject explores. It's restrained and practically silent, letting the viewer feel the complete mystery and desolation of the child's surroundings, and the confusion that inevitably comes at that age. The imagery is profoundly beautiful.
November 5, 2015
The narrative spun from the exquisite, affectionately composed imagery is both eloquent and mysterious, balancing itself between the yearning and sad understanding of adulthood and the excitement and frightened purity of childhood.
½ September 22, 2015
"Someone to whom I recently showed my glass beehive, with its movement like the main gear wheel of a clock...Someone who saw the constant agitation of the honeycomb, the mysterious, maddened commotion< of the nurse been over the nests, the teeming bridges and stairways of wax, the invading spirals."
September 14, 2015
I am still digesting The Spirit of the Beehive as there are a lot of abstract ideas that spin up during and after the viewing. It is a gorgeous Spanish film that tells a sweeping story about two sisters near the end of the Spanish civil war. While hard to explain it is well worth at least a single viewing. I am excited to revisit this in the future.
July 26, 2015
One of the most beautiful and haunting movies I have ever seen, that features perhaps the best child performance ever captured on film. A tense emotional journey about childhood, loneliness and our never-ending closeness to death and tragedy.
May 18, 2015
I'm not sure what all that was about but I think it was pretty deep.
February 7, 2015
uma das performances mais naturais e cativantedes de pura emoção. A jovem Ana Torrent e e sua curiosidade. Cinematografia lindo. A assombração infantil que se concentra na obsessão de uma jovem com o monstro Frankenstein numa Espanha de Franco pobre e estigmatizada.
January 4, 2015
A favorite of Stanley Kubrick, Erice's first film, one of the great debuts, perfectly paints the inner life of a small girl with unforgettable dream-like imagery, subtle social commentary and innate sensitivity. Six year-old Ana (a stunning Ana Torent) is spellbound by a screening of Frankenstein in her small Castillian village and convinced that a fugitive she befriends embodies the spirit of Boris Karloff's monster. The Spirit of the Beehive is a triumph of dreamlike filmmaking, as its portrayal of the innocence of childhood and the effect cinema has on our lives is explored in slow, desolate and beautiful images Haunting, lyrical (cinematographer Luis Cuadrado was going blind during the shoot) with points to make about Franco's reign, few films have entered the world's children create for themselves so beautifully.
December 10, 2014
Legendary 1973 Spanish masterpiece set in the early 40's during the Franco dictatorship about a sensitive and empathetic 6 year old girl who is deeply moved after seeing the original Frankenstein film. When she encounters a wounded freedom fighter in hiding she begins to equate him with the Frankenstein monster. A deeply moving film with a 100% critics approval rating.
½ November 14, 2014
Absolutely beautiful and astounding. A hypnotic work of genius that presents a truthful, spellbinding view of childhood.
October 20, 2014
A metaphoric commentary on Fascism in Spain and what it did to the lives and souls of the Spanish people. Beautifully photographed and very well directed this film is a masterpiece of allegorical cinema.
October 16, 2014
Plenty of sensitivity, poetry and beauty!
October 10, 2014
Good movie about children's world and believes with magnificent Fernando Fernán Gómez and really good performance from Ana Torrent.

The script is *really* good and depicts pretty well a stage in Spanish countryside life after the civil war.

A must to be seen.