Spirited Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spirited Away Reviews

½ April 18, 2016
Beautiful piece of art.
½ April 8, 2016
This is a bad movie it is really boring and it sucks
April 8, 2016
Always loved this movie!!
April 2, 2016
I'm not quite sure what exactly I've soaked in, but I can safely say that there is nothing else quite like it. I haven't seen most of Miyazaki's films, and I am glad I've finally gotten around to seeing this classic. Spirited Away is an acquired taste, and I admire the creativity and imagination that went behind this project.
March 31, 2016
First it was Kiki's delivery service, but this is my absolute favorite anime film of all time. Animation flawless, casting choice flawless. Great story, absolutely. This animation film definitely deserve the Oscar all the way! I thought that Kiki's delivery service was the best thing I ever seen in my life, but that all changed when I saw this film. As a moviegoer i'm very proud this is like one of my favorite films of all time. Miyazaki came out of retirement just to make this work of art. And it shows!! This film deserves the best grade of here!!

Grade
A perfect 10
March 24, 2016
Despite an overlong run time, Spirited Away is a visually stunning film filled with some of the most imaginative characters I've ever seen. In addition to the visuals, the music is beautiful, and the story has something for audience members of all ages.
March 22, 2016
I've first heard of this from Doug Walker who put this as one of his favorite movies which the film got me first notice of Studio Ghibli. Spirited Away is a masterpiece that I definitely see why Doug Walker put in there. Even though I was watching the American version, the cast are really good, and the writing is really great that it really made the movie stand out and different from the usual kids movies. It tries to be inventive and creative from beginning to end, and it really works which is a rare to see and barely any kids films try to do that. The characters are very interesting, and some of them are memorable in the most intense way. The animation is very pretty to look at, and the movie is investing enough that I wanted the main girl to reunited with her parents again. Spirited Away is one of a kind of animation that it might be one of the best kids film I've seen.
March 22, 2016
Fantastically animated.
½ March 22, 2016
Despite its large and fully realized universe, Spirited Away manages to keep itself contained and exactly what it needs to be. An all-around beautiful, must-see family feature.
March 16, 2016
Having never seen a Miyazaki film before this, all I heard were the legends of this film's greatness. I can now say after seeing it that I understand why this movie is loved so much. "Spirited Away" manages to be bizarre, strange, funny, heartwarming, and magical all at the same time. I don't know how to properly describe it but there is something magical about this movie that manages to transport me, a 21 year old, back to my childhood even though I never saw it as a kid. I will most certainly need to watch it again in order to get all of the themes and symbolism that this offers, but for my first viewing, I was engaged the entire time and am now immediately interested in other Miyazaki movies. If this is considered his magnum opus, then I can't wait to see the other films he's done.
March 16, 2016
One of the best anime movies I've ever seen.
March 9, 2016
the perfect Miyazaki movie an animated masterpiece
March 8, 2016
I love this movie more than my life.
February 27, 2016
This was a good movie I like the scenery in this movie i watched this a lot when I was a kid family will like this movie
February 27, 2016
The film that brought me to tears three times! It's one of the most ambitious films ever conceived. This is the film that made me a fan of Hayao Miyazaki's creative work. "Spirited Away" takes us into a world we haven't seen before. It has vivid imagery and a heart that will touch everyone in the right spot. A classic that will be remembered for ages. One of the best films of all time. Period.
February 26, 2016
This is probably my favorite anime film. Dreamlike, richly drawn and emotionally satisfying.
½ February 25, 2016
A truly unique marvel of animation that deserves a place in anyone's memory. It's self-conscious of its own strangeness, but its innocence helps it grow more lovable and emotionally resonant.
February 23, 2016
Beguiling and breathtakingly crafted, one of the best animation creators living today, Japanese filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki has done it again by creating another master piece after his well-known film Princess Mononoke with his new animation Spirited Away. This animation Spirited Away conveys its audience to another realm and universe to edify us, on how to find our true selves.
As breath-taking as it is, this animation is often compared to an animation we all know, "Alice in Wonderland". This animation revolves around a sullen, whinny ten year old girl named Chihiro who wanders to a different realm of spirits, gods and mysterious creatures. Chihiro enters the realm when she flees after seeing her parents turn into pigs after they had devoured some spirit food they had randomly found in an abandoned town. As she runs away from all the bizarre events happening, she meets her first friend, Haku (a river god) who later helps her find a job at the Bath house. It is important to keep in mind that the bath house is the main setting for this animation, therefore it holds a lot of significances of how Chihiro finds her true self.
Working in the bath house and having to lose her name "Chihiro" to Yubaba (the spirit owner of the bath house), Chihiro has to take on a new moniker of "Sen" and learn how to not be a jackanapes girl she used to be when her parents was there to spoil her. Being "Sen" Chihiro does not forget her real name, therefore she is not like Haku who does not remember his name, as a result of forgetting his name, he is under the control of Yubaba making himself who he really is not.
One of the messages that Hayao Miyazaki wanted us to get out of the animation itself is never forget your identity, who you are or you will become someone who you aren't like Haku. Hayao Miyazaki also uses the Bath house as a symbol of the Japanese identity so that the Japanese people do not forget their history and who they are. Another Message that we get from this animation is greed. In this animation we see many forms of greed but Chihiro never showed any greed and at the end, she was better off than those who were greedy in the animation.
I want to say that this is by far this is one of the best animations created. Why? The reason is how this film was made. Instead of using and relying on computers and technology to help draw the frames of the animation, Hayao Miyazaki draws each and every one of the thousand frames there is by hand. It is also amazing how the Japanese voice actors Miyu Irino (Haku), Rumi Hiiragi (Chihiro), Mari Natsuki (Yubaba and Zeniba) and Bunta Sugawara (Kamaji) can put the liveness into this animation. To record animations, it takes a lot of skills. Why? Because the cast has to be able to match the characters mouthing with their vocals to make it seem as if the characters are actually talking. In general, the Japanese cast does an amazing job by portraying their emotions and vocals into these characters therefore, this animation to me was one of the many animations that I found amusing and enchanting.
In Most of his animations, Hayao Miyazaki focuses on the theme spirituality. As this animation Spirited Away progresses, we as the audience may get enchanted into this realm along with Chihiro and be able to find our true selves. Through Spirited Away Hayao Miyazaki provides his audience with a light that will help us guide our way to find our true selves through the dark. By finding our true selves, we can fully understand our true identity, and open the doors to self-acceptance.
½ February 21, 2016
An over the top, messy, crazy, incoherent, poorly structured, japanese take on ''Alice in Wonderland''
February 21, 2016