Spirited Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spirited Away Reviews

½ September 20, 2016
Good film, Good god. I had enough about people stereotyping other animation titles. Indeed, it's been time since I last saw it. But I adore much of Hayao Miyazaki's works. Nevertheless.. this is the clear audience favorite, in addition to the clear critical favorite "Pinocchio (1940)"

"If (Audiences) are only going to be obsessed over this title, they'll never be obsessed over another."
September 13, 2016
Cool cartoons. Nice to see an early 00s cartoon (other than Mulan) with a female lead role. Also the cartoon was original, entertaining, and fun to watch
½ September 13, 2016
Una de las mejores, sino es que la mejor película del studio Ghibli. Hayao Miyazaki bien lo dijo una vez: "Muchas de mis películas tienen protagonistas femeninas fuertes, valientes...". Chihiro representa una niña que no es valiente por ser la primera en querer entrar a la ciudad; es valiente por estar llena de miedo y aun así quedarse hacer algo por salvar a sus padres y a ella misma.

Como un espectador común y corriente, me gusta muchísimo esta película. Me enamore del misterioso Haku y lloré cuando deja ir a Chihiro sin que voltear a ver atrás..."sin voltear a ver atrás", creo que hay muchas enseñanzas en esta película, una de las más notables es el sin cara, pero ademas, el final...¡Que final! Quiero imaginar que es para que cada espectador lo interprete como mejor le convenga, pero sin dejar un vacío seco...sino un vacío porque se acabó algo que te gustó lo suficiente para ir a internet y buscar si hay segunda parte.

Siento que como muchas otras películas asiáticas, no todos la entenderán de una forma especial, pero dichosos todos nosotros, los que sí la entendimos :)
September 4, 2016
The lovable world of "Spirited Away" is a gift to cinema and the audience. Hayao Miyazaki has proven to be the Spielberg of Japanese animation with this stunning work of art. Consistently, he's given the public such enchanting beauty, gorgeous visual and sensory delights, and proficiency storytelling that one just can't simply bare to imagine it's existence. Spirited Away is just about the best example I can give to prove that accurate point. With the help of Miyazaki's hand-drawn animation, it contains astonishing imagery and a magical burst that creates a down-to-earth atmosphere that almost makes this live-action. In that case, this is the greatest animated film I've ever seen, hands down!
September 2, 2016
Quite possibly the best animated film of all time.
August 29, 2016
After reading such great reviews about this film by critics for so long, I was thrilled to finally watch it. It shows up on many top critics' lists as one of the greatest films of its genre. I had recently seen "My Neighour Totoro" and enjoyed it immensely.

I was let down. This is so far overrated by the groupthink of critics that are afraid to step out of the box to go against the grain of their elitist community. It is still a great movie. However, it is nowhere near my expectation of a 10/10.

The film is well written, well produced and has some stunning visuals. The animation is a little too "choppy" for my comfort. The depth of the story and characters are very strong, definitely making this a great animated film. The story is complex and pure fantasy. This is not Disney fare. However, the story became too complex for my taste. The beauty of My Neighbour Totoro was the simplistic aesthetic of the story. This plot has 2-3x more characters and plot twists that are largely left unexplained.

The film is bizarre. Much more so than My Neighbour Totoro, which was likely the most bizarre children's film I had ever seen. This would never have been produced in America as it is so far off the historical, Hollywood box office formula for children's movies.

Spirited Away should be a benchmark for other animators to follow. I believe it will hold its place in the history of animation for decades to come and could very well be an epic, if it is not one already.
½ August 27, 2016
Interesting trip and super cute story
August 18, 2016
This hand drawn animated movie depicts a strange dream-like world in which even stranger characters inhabit. It contains an interesting mix of humor, the grotesque, and the mysterious, and reminded me of a fairy tale. I enjoyed the first half of this movie, full of fantasy and mystery, but I felt that the plot wavered in the second with too many characters and a conclusion which took a long time coming. AAWA 1001
½ August 12, 2016
Miyazaki's magnum opus; almost perfect in every way. Thank god they English-dubbed this one.
August 12, 2016
Very weird. Imaginative. Could be scary for youngsters
½ August 12, 2016
Spirited Away wasn't quite what I'd been expecting but it was entertaining nonetheless. I managed to sit through it but it's not really a movie that stays on my mind for long afterwards. I remember the plot and everything that happens in it but there just isn't much of an afterthought.
½ August 12, 2016
This was a really good fun movie. Just absolutely creative, but it's Japanese, this movie ain't that innocent, I know my Japanese history.
August 2, 2016
Greatest animated movie ever made. Hayao Miyazaki's masterpiece.
½ July 31, 2016
different yet unique .Breathtaking and beautiful a perfect example of the animation genre done very good
½ July 28, 2016
Spirited Away has dazzling memorable animation, and it also is a gorgeously drawn fairy tale with great story behind it.
July 27, 2016
Spirited Away is the most inventive, thrilling, harrowing, beautifully told animated film of all time. This movie will hold up 100 years from now thanks to the beautiful hand-drawn animation that is a standard for every Miyazaki film.
½ July 22, 2016
I love this movie, i really do
Well animated, with a lot of beautiful visuals and creativity, with charming characters and a inteligent, but still, strange plot
Defenitly a must-see
July 14, 2016
An adventure in the truest possible sense, my favorite film of Hayao Miyazaki, the man who made me fall in love with Anime. Well, mostly his own, that is.

This is one of Hayao's best animations and, I believe, the best to meet him with. It's all there. A courageous and relatable young female. An enchanting mix of urban and legend. Top-notch animation, full of color that's not lacking in personality. Enticing conflict, high stakes, and three-dimensional antagonists. And, above all, absorption into a fictional world jammed with all sorts of monstrous characters having their own humanity. It all keeps you at this mesmerizing state of mind. It all feels familiar, distant, absurd, scary and magical, all at once, all the time.

There's few films I'd recommend as passionately and universally. I think many, even those who wouldn't expect it for a (Japanese) animation, will find their own enjoyment in this masterpiece.
June 25, 2016
By a wide margin my favorite Miyazaki film.
June 23, 2016
when i first watch spirited away it was an amazing adventure of a lifetime i got to admit this is amazing