Spoiled - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spoiled Reviews

½ September 21, 2012
In a thinly-veiled tout for the fossil fuel industry, the film maker has assembled a panel of "experts" consisting of leaders of conservative think tanks and industry sponsored organizations. I'll save you the money: the solution to our energy problems, according to the movie, is to reduce taxes on exploration and ramp up domestic production. Interesting that one of the biggest news stories of the past decade relating to fossil fuels (greenhouse gas emissions and climate change) don't factor into the logic of this movie IN ANY WAY. The movie is designed to make dems look like fools and repugs look like victims. See if you wish, but bring a big piece of salt. This movie has to be taken with a lot of it.
March 11, 2012
Saw a screening w/ the director doing a Q& A after. He claims and advertsies the oil companies don't like this film but the only reason I can see for that is it doesn't include ALL the points they'd like to make. The film does establish and emphasize the importance and urgency of the oil issue but basically briefly examines and shoots down alternatives and leaves us with the idea that the only near-term is to let the oil companies run free and "drill, baby, drill", everywhere, ASAP. And it's sexist to boot.
March 8, 2012
A MUST SEE FILM!
spOILed is a very good movie....even if you don't usually like documentaries, you should see this one because it has valuable information that directly impacts you and everyone you know....on top of that, it's very well made....I believe that this is the first film for director Mark Mathis...fortunately, unlike may first time directors, he brings a lot of experience as a television personality and producer, making the film both informative and very entertaining....for the average viewer, the information is shocking....the filmmaker interviews experts who say that future fossil fuel production cannot keep up with demand, alternatives are uneconomic without government subsidies and there is nothing on the horizon to save us from wrenching long term decline in our standard of living: It's a very difficult pill to swallow.....unfortunately, he has done his homework and is mostly correct.....watching this is a great way to spend 90 minutes being entertained and learning something at the same time...