The Spongebob Squarepants Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie Reviews

August 13, 2017
As emotionally capturing and fun as theatrical movies should be when compared to TV series, the SpongeBob Squarepants Movie is a wonderful, pleasant childhood memory that can outdo the lackluster post-2004 episodes of the TV series and the 2015 movie.
½ July 28, 2017
I remember watching Sponge Out of Water back in 2015. Being a SpongeBob fan, I anticipated it and when I went to see it, I highly enjoyed it, not minding the misleading advertising. Mostly more wanting the chance to see good old fashioned hand drawn animation on the big screen again. CGI is everywhere nowadays. When I watched it, my life felt complete. It was the end of a journey for me and after the film came out on DVD and Blu-Ray, I was ready to move on with my life. Now, for nostalgic purposes, I have revisited the first SpongeBob movie which I think is the only Nicktoons-based film released theatrically that people actually liked. Yet for some reason, The Last Airbender made more money than this Nickelodeon movie. Like most movies based off of TV shows, it has an extended episode type feel. Fortunately, the faithfulness to the cartoon, back when it was good, voice acting and humour make it one of Nickelodeon Movies' better films. Oh, the hilarity of witnessing two immature adults get drunk from too much ice cream. Had this indeed been the conclusion to the cartoon it was meant to be, it would've come off as a satisfying send-off to the absorbent talking kitchen sponge. At least with the show, Tom Kenny still always has work. There's also surprisingly convincing live-action/animation mixing within the third act. Temporarily looks fake but a 30 million dollar budget isn't really something big so I'm not expecting Industrial Light & Magic to step in and save the day. The "Cyclops" underwater certainly looks a lot more convincing than Eddie Valiant in Toontown. A hilarious and...forgive me for this...absorbing movie that is more than just your average generic TV show-based film only made to profit off of the show's popularity or make an old show known again or even continue a story that ended abruptly sometimes with poor execution. You did good, Stephen Hillenburg, you did good.
½ July 23, 2017
One of the rare examples of an animated feature based on a cartoon that is actually respectful to its source material. Then again, this was directed by the creator of the beloved television series of SpongeBob SquarePants, so that shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody. A high recommendation for long time fans of SpongeBob.
July 17, 2017
favorite animated movie of 2003!
½ July 16, 2017
I have always loved SpongeBob, and this movie just makes me love the show even more!!!
July 14, 2017
Good Movie , I Like It
July 6, 2017
I love this movie, it holds a special spot in my life.
½ June 23, 2017
I liked it as a kid a lot.
June 8, 2017
This film has so much nostalgia from my childhood, I have seen it so many times and i still enjoy it so much!!!! I even owned the game based on the movie and it was also very nostalgic
May 25, 2017
My favorite animated film, ever.
May 1, 2017
I went to see this in theaters when I was little and since I grew up watching spongebob and constantly watch it to this day it brings me so much nostalgia
March 3, 2017
The fact that Scarlett Johansson was Mindy and I never realized it until after the movie earns it 5 stars, this fact alone. Plus the movie is classic.
February 25, 2017
One of my favourite films from my childhood. It's just so fun to see spongebob in his own feature length film. Great job Nick, great job.
February 19, 2017
A solid conventional and funny colorful family treat.
January 18, 2017
Good Movie! good Job SpongeBob! HAVE A COOKIE!
December 16, 2016
One of my favorite animated movies, this movie adaptation of one of my favorite TV shows, Spongebob Squarepants Movie is funny, well-written, good plot, and a great song too!
December 16, 2016
It's gooooooood I'd watch it 20000 times
½ December 6, 2016
I loved it this is the end of Nick's golden age.
½ December 4, 2016
Love the movie, thought it was great. Good storyline but got a little sloppy at the end of the movie.
November 26, 2016
For a period it seemed like every Nicktoon got its own movie and SpongeBob's was the most successful of the bunch (Until Sponge Out of Water) the film doesn't take full advantage of its characters but the humor, creativity, and adventure shine in this beautiful and surprisingly ambitious animated feature.