Spooner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spooner Reviews

½ March 22, 2014
The two critics here are off the mark. Spooner is a delightful and sensitive film with some very funny moments thanks to the supporting cast.
½ February 2, 2014
Very cliched but I found it had a few good moments.
Christopher McDonald seems to play the same role in every movie I have seen him in.
August 19, 2013
This quirky indie rom-com is poorly cast, poorly directed, and poorly executed all around.
½ April 27, 2013
72%

I liked seeing Lillard and McDonald play father and son again.
September 27, 2012
did care 4 this which just loves 2 revel in it's own quirkiness
September 15, 2012
Matthew Lillard performance as as a goofy nerd going nowhere is spot on.
July 18, 2012
Spooner unfolds in an alternate, fantasy reality where girls swoon over de-masculinized awkwardness, and its makers additionally assume this will automatically tickle an audience pink.Didn't enjoy this film SKIP IT!!!
May 15, 2012
Herman Spooner is one of the most endearing characters I've seen. His misplaced sense of contentment is heartbreaking, and the list of things he doesn't know about the world is staggering. Can you call it a 'coming of age tale' if he's 30? Probably not, but this movie tries really hard to make it one. Pretend that Spooner isn't awkward and creepy, and you'll enjoy this movie. It has a certain charm to it.
½ April 11, 2012
I'm surprised I enjoyed this movie as much as I did, especially considering it does not seem to take place on the same plane of reality that I live on. In the real world, a guy as awkward and semi-creepy as Spooner would have driven that girl away right around the second time he showed up in the hotel she was staying at, and she probably wouldn't have let him in. (The fact that Rose is somewhat soft-spoken and possibly is the nicest person on the planet doesn't change this...) I'm speaking from experience, having exhibited Spooner-like behavior in the past as well as being on the receiving end of some. But I like this movie because it is not shrieking in your face like "All About Steve" or sticking labels on everyone like most movies about characters like Spooner do (the fact that the word "Asperger's" was not brought up once was INSANELY joyous for me). Basically, this is a movie about two nice people (one of whom is weird and a bit stalker-y, but he's NICE) who kind of fall in love. It's a total Movie kind of love, and there's about a 2% chance of this actually happening in real life, but their scenes together are so sweet that it's hard for me not to like this movie.
April 10, 2012
This quirky film hits all the right stuff.
November 17, 2011
Deeeelightful!!! I am amazed at the lack of interest for this movie. I found it absolutely charming, quirky, and really well done.
½ August 8, 2011
Shaggy before and this is after...
½ July 26, 2011
An odd little coming of age story of a thirty year old late bloomer. Touching portrayal by Lillard. I didn't know he had it in him.
½ July 15, 2011
Pleasantly surprised by this, really enjoyed it a really fun movie,
June 22, 2011
I list this as average as it was a good movie. Doubt it reached the cinema box office, looked like an independent low budget but with an interesting story. A sensitive, naive and shy car salesman takes the stakes to meet a girl of his dreams where he helped her by giving a ride when her car broke down. In the meantime about to be evicted from his parents on his 30th birthday and rough days at work. It was funny, awkward and sad in a way.
½ May 8, 2011
EVERY BODY CAN DO SOMETHING MONUMENTAL! Esta película me recordó lo importante de ser uno mismo, de salir de la comodidad, de buscar eso qu (C) quieres aunque te aterre...
May 6, 2011
pas mal du tout .... par contre faut pas se faire d'illusion, elle reviendra pas des philipines et lui se posera toute sa vie des "what if"
April 22, 2011
Spooner unfolds in an alternate, fantasy reality where girls swoon over de-masculinized awkwardness, and its makers additionally assume this is will automatically tickle an audience pink. For me, well, yawn...
½ March 7, 2011
screenwriter Lindsay Stidman's Spooner, doesn't need to be a feature length film.
The story is driven by the main character, Herman Spooner-the characterization of Spooner, was aridiculous choice by Matthew Lillard. Spooner is about to be 30 and at last being kicked out of the nest. The character is portrayed in such a lame way, if the intent is for him to be the underdog, but of everyone's joke, it's off-some of the language Spooner uses, AWESOME, TOTALLY AWESOME, TOTALLY, I use these words-coming out of Matthew Lillard's character, it sounds like AW SHUCKS, the character is aw shucksish.
Enough of the hating on it, wait-Matthew isn't over acting, that's not true either-the thing is he often appears as if he is there is a movie camera filming him. Kills suspsension of disbelief.

Nora Zehetner who plays Rose, saves the film-she carries many scenes and delivers some really good dialogue-also the motel manager/barber-whose name I couldn't locate in the credits, his character is also good, there are good moments between Spooner and Rose.
I shook my head so many times at the choices made narratively and for the central character. Peace