Spring Breakdown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spring Breakdown Reviews

½ August 7, 2010
I like Amy Poehler and Parker Posey in other things they've done, and I've seen Rachel Dratch be quite funny on SNL. As for this movie, everything is horrible. Even Jane Lynch, Will Arnett, and Seth Meyers couldn't squeeze the slightest bit of quality out of it during their scenes. Don't watch this under any circumstances ever.
½ July 26, 2010
it was fun watching it. and who wouldn't like Justin Hartley and the crazy parties!!!!
July 18, 2010
Worth seeing. [dvd 2010-07]
½ July 17, 2010
I prepared myself beforehand for the sheer awfulness of it all, but I have to admit it exceeded my expectations, albeit only slightly.
July 7, 2010
A lot funnier than I was expecting. Seemed like everyone had a good time making the film. If I did one thing to improve the movie I would replace Posey with Tina Fey...Posey came off a bit flat.
June 18, 2010
Not bad considering the plot was borrowed directly from the Elvis movie "Girl Happy". I was worried it was going to be a 90 minute tampon commercial but that turned out to be mostly unfounded. The talented Parker Posey really pulls together what could have been a big mess.
½ June 14, 2010
Has it's moments, just not enough of them to warrant a higher mark. Unsurprisingly the Arnett cameo is the highlight of the entire movie.
½ June 12, 2010
Watch it once then, enjoy it once then put it in the trash. What can you say it's the SNL crew.
½ June 7, 2010
the fact this went straight to video is very sad indeed as i'm sure it coulda made $30M at the box office over its run. all the characters are fantastic, especially missi pyle.
May 12, 2010
Gayle O'Brien (Amy Poehler), Becky St. Germaine (Parker Posey), and Judi Joskow (Rachel Dratch) were losers in college. Savouring the idea that one day they would be the well off ones with hot husbands that the cool kids wish they could be, instead they find themselves in their 30's and still losers. When Becky gets a job from her boss Senator Hartmann (Jane Lynch) to secretly watch her daughter Ashley (Amber Tamblyn) while she's at Spring Break, Gayle and Judi tag along.

In the early 21st century, we saw the rise of what became known as the new Frat Pack. This was a group of guys who made comedies together and featured Will Ferrell, Owen Wilson, and Vince Vaughn as the prominent members. Spring Breakdown seems like a jumping off point for a sort of female version of that former Frat Pack. As it would seem only natural that Tina Fey was intended to play the part of Becky St. Germaine, they pulled something similar to what Adam Sandler has done with his cronies with Kevin James taking the place of Chris Farley, here they replaced Fey with Parker Posey. So how does the female iteration of the Frat Pack fare?

Not very well. Spring Breakdown seems partly like an homage to Revenge of the Nerds part 2, and for those of us who like Revenge of the Nerds, we know that the second movie isn't the one that you really want to pay homage too. The writing doesn't do much to flesh out the characters in any way that would make people feel for them any more than people would feel from the many caricatures you can find in an SNL skit. While the jokes might have looked good on paper, they would have been better served in a skit, rather than in a full length movie they can't sustain.

The acting is serviceable, particularly from the always good Parker Posey, but the writing doesn't give any of the actresses much to lean on. Amy Poehler's character is nothing more than a walking amalgam of her many SNL characters lumped into one character. Rachel Dratch, a comedienne best known for Debbie Downer on SNL, is an actress best suited to skits and guest stints on TV shows. Even some of the smaller characters, such as Seth Meyers closeted William and Missi Pyle's Charlene, can wear on the nerves in there brief appearances in the film.

There are some laugh out loud moments in the film, but more often you're laughing at the people in the movie for appearing in this mess. I can't recommend this movie, which to me is sad because I always enjoy Amy Poehler, Parker Posey, and Jane Lynch typically in anything they're appearing in. Unfortunately, this film is a fairly big miss.
May 10, 2010
tiz is so hilarious ...erm mayb i m in a super good mood
May 7, 2010
You know what, I don't care if this movie got a ton of Rotten Tomatoes, I like it because it has the message of BE YOURSELF! It is cute, and reminds me of my misfit friends who I wouldn't trade for all the popular kids because I remember the popular kids and their stories are not as good as mine. I would rather have stories of sisterly bonding and silliness such as getting pix taken with bunny rabbits and fireworks at 2am then drunken parties, and sex with strangers!!!
½ April 17, 2010
I had never heard of it. It's as though if Parker Posey is in a film they will not promote it! This was really funny!
½ April 16, 2010
Proof that these funny women won't let an iffy script stop them from being funny. not great, but they sure are great in it (along with jane lynch).
½ April 9, 2010
I appreciated the confrontation of the double standard in this film!
April 4, 2010
Mediocre comedy that wastes a great female cast.
½ March 26, 2010
Will you like this movie? Probably not. Did I? Yes. The plot was pretty mediocre, but put Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch, Parker Posey, Missy Pyle, Will Arnett, Seth Meyers, and Jane Lynch in a movie, and I'd watch it regardless.
½ March 24, 2010
Surprisingly funny. Like Revenge of the Nerds but with women.
March 22, 2010