Wow

Has anyone actually seen this movie? I saw it last night and I hated it. Perhaps I've grown apart from Harmony Korine's filmmaking but I found this to be almost unwatchable.

I will admit that Spring Breakers clearly has something to say. The nonsensical, yet sometimes humorous, satire that consumes this movie is simply not subtle enough. For example, the character of Alien (played by James Franco), clearly references Lil Wayne. We find Alien repeating again and again, "I'm not from this planet, y'all!" This is linear to Wayne's gimmick of, "We are not the same! I am a martian!" Korine even went so far as to put a teardrop tattoo uder Franco's eye in addition to several other similar tattoos including a dollar sign on the right side of his neck. You will find the female characters uttering comments pertaining to the ability to "find" themselves on spring break while the camara shows mass levels of drunked behavior, jiggling breasts in slow motion, and a high level of drug use.

The sexual content in this film is gratuitious, although that's to be expected when dealing with Korine. Every now and then, I'll watch a film that will inspire me to write a full review regardless of my opinion. This is one of them. There are way too many elements to mention and I don't have enough time to cover all of them, but I will later get to writing a review for this movie.

Spring Breakers is the most self-indulgent film I've ever seen from Harmony Korine, and that says a lot. Although, I haven't yet seen Trash Humpers, so I may be forced to be retract my previous statement if I ever get around to seeing it. However, based on my disdain for this film, I doubt I'll ever get to it.

Any thoughts?
Face Nyland
03-27-2013 06:38 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Steven C.

Steven Carpenter

If you read Sculpting in Time by Andrei Tarkovsky, a true cinematic genius if there ever was one, he says that great are has to be self-indulgent. As an artist you have to start out showing the truth as you personally see it, not caring 1% what anyone else thinks. Now whether or not your truth connects with anyone else or society at large is another question, and an artist has to be willing to fail to connect. I always find the criticism of 'self-indulgence' to be a false one, made when the difference between art and entertainment is obscured. Sure, it's easy to confuse the two, especially in movies because movies function as both. But Korine is an artist, not an entertainer, and so his 'self-indulgence' is necessary.

About the 'finding myself' comments you mentioned. Korine repeated the phone call the woman made saying she found herself again at the end. The first time, my take was that she was either lying to the person on the phone to make her trek seem like it had a legitimate purpose other than getting wasted, or she was serious and had no clue that her life was completely empty. When Korine played it again at the end, with death flying around all over the screen, it was very sad because the women did go down and find themselves. And what they found was nothing, was a waste.

These women were shown to be ignorant, deviant, morally reprehensible people, seemingly without any depth or character. But by the end we see that they do have the same feelings we all have, of love and an appreciation of beauty. It's just that in the culture they were formed in, love leads to death, and beauty is a Britney Spears jingle. However misguided and tragic and reprehensible, by the end of the film I was sad to see such a waste of human lives on all fronts. They wanted love and beauty and they couldn't find it. And all the sadder to know that while this film is certainly an exaggeration, this emptiness is everywhere I look.

Mar 31 - 06:54 AM

Elizabeth Hunt

Elizabeth Hunt

I went to see this movie with four people who thought it was an amazing artistic expression, and I couldn't have had a more opposing opinion. I am glad to see I am not the only one.

Mar 30 - 08:26 AM

Facebook User

Facebook User

Just saw this movie, I thought it was fantastic. Upon leaving the theater, I was still hypnotized by the vibrant and smeary colors. The movie screamed 'Mulholland Drive: Spring Break' but in a good way. I'm not the biggest fan of Skrillex but felt his music played well with the imagery, along with the typically great score by Cliff Martinez. Normally I'm not a fan of repetition within a movie but this mechanic only served to add to the trippy and dream-like quality of this film. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 but plan on seeing it again really soon to be sure.

Mar 29 - 02:18 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

You know what, I overlooked the soundtrack. The soundtrack, for the most part, was my favorite part of the film.

Mar 29 - 05:23 AM

Spencer Mills

Spencer Mills

Actually it's probably the worst movie I've ever seen, the acting is awful (besides James Franco) the scenes are weird and often filmed too long...the ending made little to no sense,? so many unanswered questions, truly a horrible movie. And it's so horrible that it's incredibly laughable, so much to the point that I recommend people see it just for how bad it is! xD It's like.. how Napoleon Dynamite was so bad it was good...it's like that...if you know what I mean. There's this one scene where James Franco is singing a song by Britney Spears (poorly sung by the way lol)and three of the girl are wearing pink robber masks and dancing with there guns in the air, like they're having a bad trip on LSD. It was so awkward and bad I didn't know whether it was meant to be funny or serious. I ended up laughing my ass off.

Mar 27 - 12:36 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

You can copy and paste! Good for you!

Mar 27 - 12:59 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Don't you hate that shit? Can't people come up with a new response?

Mar 27 - 03:39 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

They're either too lazy or too stupid. Any way you cut it, I dismiss such comments even if I may agree with some of the arguments.

Mar 27 - 04:10 PM

Movie Buff

B. S. Hanjra

I agree with your review Chase. Saw the movie yesterday and did NOT find it the least bit entertaining! Probably the last movie I'll ever see by Korine.

Mar 27 - 09:58 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Dammit, Chase. I've been hearing nothing but good things from people I trust movie-wise, and now you're saying this! I'm just kidding. I respect your opinion, as you know, but I'll still be seeing it(eventually...might have to wait for the blu-ray). Maybe I'll agree with you.

Mar 27 - 07:19 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Lol hey man, if you enjoy it, that's awesome. I think it tried way too hard to be inteligent and satirical and it just came up short for me. It's definitely a well-made film and I appreciate Korine, but I suppose I don't care for his films anymore. I can't really explain it.

Mar 27 - 08:17 AM

Steven C.

Steven Carpenter

The film has merit but it certainly isn't for everyone. I would say it probably isn't for most people. Korine is an intelligent troublemaker, and I think this film reflects that.

Mar 31 - 06:58 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I like movies that are labeled "not for everyone".

Mar 31 - 01:02 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile